Budget oriented safes?

If anyone cares I ended up going with the Cannon, the clincher was TS had it on sale this weekend for $999. plus I'm paying someone to move it for me which still keeps me in my budget range. Would have liked to get something better but for now this will do perfectly. I may change it over to a mechanical lock if it's not hard to do or at least buy a backup key pad. thanks for all the responses and to Eastern Safe, even though they couldn't help me out this time they were great to deal with and very helpful.

Last edited:
If anyone cares I ended up going with the Cannon, the clincher was TS had it on sale this weekend for $999. plus I'm paying someone to move it for me which still keeps me in my budget range. Would have liked to get something better but for now this will do perfectly. I may change it over to a mechanical lock if it's not hard to do or at least buy a backup key pad. thanks for all the responses and to Eastern Safe, even though they couldn't help me out this time they were great to deal with and very helpful.
It's not always wise or possible or even necessary to go full gold-plated. I think you made the right decision given your size needs and budget. [thumbsup]

Question, rifle rods? are they worth getting?
in my experience, yes. It will free up space allowing you to tuck in more long guns in a space than leaning them allows for. A word of advice when loading up the safe again, put the less used things in the back, as you will have to move things to get to them.

So the safe is installed but what an operation. The movers had 3 young, strong guys and their boss and they struggled a bit, I don't know what I was thinking when I though me and my two SIL's could do this LOL.

I have to spend some time organizing it all, I was only able to squeeze in 3/4 of my long guns in their and AR's really blow when it comes to storing them. I ordered to rods so that will help. One thing for sure I ain't moving this thing again. If we sell the house the safe stays with it.

So the safe is installed but what an operation. The movers had 3 young, strong guys and their boss and they struggled a bit, I don't know what I was thinking when I though me and my two SIL's could do this LOL.
Well, 640 pounds and bulky as Hell. That would be a challenge for ANY non-professional crew to move.
I have to spend some time organizing it all, I was only able to squeeze in 3/4 of my long guns in there and AR's really blow when it comes to storing them. I ordered rods so that will help. One thing for sure I ain't moving this thing again. If we sell the house the safe stays with it.
It's as big inside as they come for the 40" space that you said you had available... so I hope those rods help. Remember, "safe storage" in MA means all your guns or Maura and Andrea are gonna come get ya! :oops:

Well, 640 pounds and bulky as Hell. That would be a challenge for ANY non-professional crew to move.
On a flat surface, you can buy (or make from UHMWPE) "slick sticks":
bK4ebLF.jpeg

Eastern has an electric stair climber rated to 1500 lbs.
If I needed to move a (non-modular) safe up or down more than a step or two, I'd hire ESS.

It's as big inside as they come for the 40" space that you said you had available... so I hope those rods help. Remember, "safe storage" in MA means all your guns or Maura and Andrea are gonna come get ya! :oops:
The Balance of my stuff is in one of the smaller safes ;)

On a flat surface, you can buy (or make from UHMWPE) "slick sticks":
bK4ebLF.jpeg

Eastern has an electric stair climber rated to 1500 lbs.
If I needed to move a (non-modular) safe up or down more than a step or two, I'd hire ESS.
ESS (as Rob always says) does a great job of quoting a job the maximum amount the market will bear. It’s always a quote north of $1k and almost never worth it for a budget safe.

ESS (as Rob always says) does a great job of quoting a job the maximum amount the market will bear. It’s always a quote north of $1k and almost never worth it for a budget safe.
I’m not shitting on ESS but even for a smaller Fort Knox safe it wasn’t worth the cost to move it. The movers were frightened by it.
It stayed with the house when it was sold.

I’m not shitting on ESS but even for a smaller Fort Knox safe it wasn’t worth the cost to move it. The movers were frightened by it.
It stayed with the house when it was sold.
They’re a good company, and I bought my Champion there years ago. It would be nice if they’d offer a discount to move safes that were purchased from them.

They’re a good company, and I bought my Champion there years ago. It would be nice if they’d offer a discount to move safes that were purchased from them.
Both my safes came from them. One was delivered up here to Maine on the second floor.
The Fort Knox left behind was for work and was one of two purchased with my buddy being the other buyer. Delivered and installed less than a mile apart.
My nephew’s safe came from ESS.

My wife’s nephew bought a monster from Dependable in Nashua. Their moving it fee due to divorce was pure rape pricing. He got it out himself (he’s a big bastard) and brought it to me where I unloaded it with forks and a tractor. I stored it while I could but it now lives in Westford as a friends son bought it who also had a tractor to move it.

Back
Top Bottom