Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

We're planting lettuce now, but we also take romaine bases from store bought and plant them. They will regrow if you do this.
I have a friend who does that. I'm not hugely fond of the store romaine so... [grin]

In that salad bowl, you're seeing (lemme see if I can remember them all):
  • Red sails lettuce
  • A mustard green we call "Carl lettuce"
  • Red tabby spinach
  • Toy Choy (baby pak choi)
  • Red tatsoi
  • Bull's Blood beet greens
  • Arugula
  • "Rhodos" Frisee
  • "Vit" mache
  • Escarole
  • Baby lacinato kale (the wrinkly thing)
  • Baby red Russian kale
  • Baby white Russian kale

Last edited:
I have a friend who does that. I'm not hugely fond of the store romaine so... [grin]

In that salad bowl, you're seeing (lemme see if I can remember them all):
  • Red sails lettuce
  • A mustard green we call "Carl lettuce"
  • Red tabby spinach
  • Toy Choy (baby pak choi)
  • Red tatsoi
  • Bull's Blood beet greens
  • Arugula
  • "Rhodos" Frisee
  • "Vit" mache
  • Escarole
  • Baby lacinato kale (the wrinkly thing)
  • Baby red Russian kale
  • Baby white Russian kale
I have most of that stuff. What are the standouts for you?

oh and no swiss chard?
It's coming.

Some of that other stuff overwintered (notably the kales, but even some of the mache, a couple arugula, Carl lettuce, and red tabby spinach - and even one head of escarole). The rest we started in March in the greenhouse. I've got time for another batch of greens before it's too kooky hot so that will be the later in the week project. Cucurbits are already started - waiting for them to come up. Nightshades (maters and peppers) are GTG when we get the tilling done.

The red tabby is doing really well, as is the lettuce and the mustard (Carl lettuce). The Asian greens are getting munched by something. And the arugula is getting bolty - even the new plants - not sure what's going on there.

Now for my next trick: decide what I'm doing for shelves. The Ocean State Job Lot thing has those cheesy-assed built in shelves - this doesn't.

...aaaaaaand: shelves.

I had cannibalized the old-old greenhouse for that cloche I used on the herb patch by the driveway, but it got pretty sad, so I cannibalized it (and the other leftover parts from the old-old greenhouse) for the shelves for the new greenhouse. [grin]

Hey, I'm nothing if not frugal.

The old greenhouse will likely be going to an aunt, so I didn't want to "borrow" any parts from it.

Took the day off yesterday and got all the seedlings in. My six year old woke me up at 5:45 because he was ready to get working. He and his four year old brother were out there (mostly) helping me from 6:30-12:30. Then they even came back out for a couple hours after lunch. I can see why boys were so valued in agrarian societies. I’m really lucky I have these two who are getting to be a big help. And have two more behind them who I’m sure will be the same way.

We planted 40 tomatoes, 40 peppers, 16 cukes, and 10 eggplant. That is added to the peas, lettuce, spinach, arugula, celery, broccoli, leeks, and oregano that was already out there. Still have a good amount of direct seeding to get done.

IMG_2883.jpeg

Is it that wet for you that you do mounded beds in NH? Curious if you've had success vs flat.
To be honest I haven’t tried flat. This was a pretty wet area when I moved here. I redirected some water and it is better now. But can still get a bit wet. Also my soil has a lot of clay. I have added a lot of compost but it still lives pretty near the surface. So the raised beds give me a decent depth of more organic matter before getting into the wet clay. This garden has been better than I could have imagined so I’m hesitant to try anything different. And the root veggies are incredible!

IMG_0792.jpeg
IMG_2454.jpeg

Yea ive seen some of your other harvests as well and can't argue :D

I have a lot of rocks and tree roots so I built bordered raised beds which have done well. I am interested in the mounding for some of my in-ground beds... Does it make weeding the pathways easier? do you mulch the mounds?

We planted ten Joan J Raspberry canes we got from norse farms last may. Last year the first year I got fruit from late July up to late November unreal growth. Really until the fruit froze. This year they are 4x the size and the fruit has already formed. We should have berries by mid month. Crazy spring! We also planted a group of san Marzano tomato's. My wife's favorite for cooking. This pic was what the berries already looked like a week ago.

Attachments

• IMG_5144.jpeg
    IMG_5144.jpeg
    892.6 KB · Views: 6
Yea ive seen some of your other harvests as well and can't argue :D

I have a lot of rocks and tree roots so I built bordered raised beds which have done well. I am interested in the mounding for some of my in-ground beds... Does it make weeding the pathways easier? do you mulch the mounds?
Raised beds like that seem great and I would like to make some someday. I do not enjoy tilling and mounding up my beds every year. The pathways are probably harder to weed if anything. It starts as pretty compacted clay and then gets even harder from walking on it. Also deadly slippery if it’s wet. Sometimes I can get away with a little light flame weeding but it still gets pretty bad. I might put down weed cloth or cardboard this year. I haven’t mulched the mounds but should. I have a habit of getting things good enough and then leaving them because I don’t have too much free time. But weeds were pretty bad last year.

On that note next year I might do a couple test flat beds - one for tomatoes and one for peppers to see how they compare to the raised beds. If I’m not getting anything for all that shoveling I would gladly stop. So thanks for the idea!

I have a habit of getting things good enough and then leaving them because I don’t have too much free time. But weeds were pretty bad last year.
I can feel that!

I do some lazy mulching when I do. I usually add whatever I have onsite: grass clippings, leaves, chop n drop from other plants, weeds, etc... I have those damn jumping worms tho, and they eat everything up real quick.

Also got breathable fabric from johnny's that ive put around some beds. We have this creeping grass that climbs in everywhere.... ugh

We planted ten Joan J Raspberry canes we got from norse farms last may. Last year the first year I got fruit from late July up to late November unreal growth. Really until the fruit froze. This year they are 4x the size and the fruit has already formed. We should have berries by mid month. Crazy spring! We also planted a group of san Marzano tomato's. My wife's favorite for cooking. This pic was what the berries already looked like a week ago.
Raspberries will grow where nothing else will. I have some near drainage gravel and they do just fine, lol

Raspberries will grow where nothing else will. I have some near drainage gravel and they do just fine, lol
Yeah they are growing like weeds on steroids, these are thornless so they are easy to pick but man they grow like nothing I have planted before lol. We will definitely have to cut them back and keep them controlled so they don’t take over other areas!

Back
Top Bottom