Default My insane idea for this summer: Build a self loading rifle in .577 Snyder

Well it's time for something new to occupy this old retired cat's summer. I've done my 80% lowers, built a few semi stens, and refurbished one of everything from IMAs Nepal Cache. So what to do next?

The coolest thing I learned from my IMA restorations was how much fun huge bore old black powder cartridges can be both to load and shoot.

What I learned from making my 80% and stens is that it isn't too complicated with the minimal skills and tools I have out in the garage.

What I need is something to occupy my waking hours this summer...

So, what about attempting to make a self loading rifle using a huge black powder cartridge. The .577 is easy to reload and a fun cartridge to shoot. It's obsolete as far as my state laws are concerned as it isn't commercially loaded which puts it in an odd place. Just based on the most cursory observation I think about 8 cartridges might be able to be squeezed into a 30 round AR mag with some modifications.

Black powder fouling with a self loading action, interesting, sounds like fun!

Piston driven rotating bolt? Piston driven tilting block? Recoil operated? Hmmmm.

As a thought exercise alone it may be fun to spend time with. Please feel free to float ideas, laughter, and/or derision!

- ahh! An electric driven chain gun based on a Snyder (semi of course)... Muahahahaha <Puts on lab coat and heads off to the garage with a maniacal glint in his eye.>

Interesting! Crazy? Yes- but in a good way.

Would you need to start with an AR-308 lower to accommodate the length? Maybe 777 or Pyrodex would be clean enough for direct impingement or at least a gas piston system.
    Level III TactiFudd

Oh, c'mon! make a self loading, full auto muzzle loader...challenge yourself, man!

Subscribing - I gotta see this beast when it's done!
    Support Comm2A

ageres proprias tuas (in case you are to damn lazy to look it up, it's Latin for MYOFB)

A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble. - Mohandas Gandhi

Math always wins in the end. - calsdad

That was my first thought when I saw the thread title... whatever you come up with is going to foul like a mofo! ;)

Good luck. Post progress.
    You can't buy happiness. You can buy ammo though, and that's pretty much the same thing.

NES Member

In for the build pics!

I think Mountain is right -- if you go with an AR platform, it's going to have to be .308, because the .577 is almost a quarter inch longer than 5.56/.223 Remington.
    "but he deserved it"

you know, the US law system is apparently partially based off of emotional revenge on criminals.

~Dench

Still thinking. Recoil seems most sensible to me due to fouling of any gas system. Thinking of Browning type M2 machinegun operation. Barrel and bolt travel back for delay then barrel travel stops and unlocks bolt. Simple bolt, ala sten. The .577 is rimed which is handy for simpler head-spacing with an angle-grinder . It's 80 grains of FFg - so kinda low low pressure. You can see I'm all up to speed on being super scientific and engineering wise (hahahah). This will definitely be a thing to test with a long lanyard attached to the trigger.

What I need now to start is a Snyder barreled action. They were everywhere for cheep a year ago. Must keep looking. I could possibly make one from a repro three band enfield barrel, if I knew how to cut a chamber and the tooling for such an obsolete cartridge were available. Nah - that'd be cheating using a steel barrel instead of a 140 year old lap welded iron one.

Oh boy I may lose a few fingers doing this.

Thinking continues!

OK, now you are messing with us. Angle grinder? LOL...
    Level III TactiFudd

NES Member

The Snider is really too common for this project. You need something unusual, like the .43 Dutch (for the M1871/88 Beaumont-Vitali).

Nothing wrong with 400 grains at 1,400 fps.

http://www.pulemetov.net/weaponry/be...art_71_88.html
    "but he deserved it"

you know, the US law system is apparently partially based off of emotional revenge on criminals.

~Dench