Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

We're planting lettuce now, but we also take romaine bases from store bought and plant them. They will regrow if you do this.
I have a friend who does that. I'm not hugely fond of the store romaine so... [grin]

In that salad bowl, you're seeing (lemme see if I can remember them all):
  • Red sails lettuce
  • A mustard green we call "Carl lettuce"
  • Red tabby spinach
  • Toy Choy (baby pak choi)
  • Red tatsoi
  • Bull's Blood beet greens
  • Arugula
  • "Rhodos" Frisee
  • "Vit" mache
  • Escarole
  • Baby lacinato kale (the wrinkly thing)
  • Baby red Russian kale
  • Baby white Russian kale

Last edited:
I have a friend who does that. I'm not hugely fond of the store romaine so... [grin]

In that salad bowl, you're seeing (lemme see if I can remember them all):
  • Red sails lettuce
  • A mustard green we call "Carl lettuce"
  • Red tabby spinach
  • Toy Choy (baby pak choi)
  • Red tatsoi
  • Bull's Blood beet greens
  • Arugula
  • "Rhodos" Frisee
  • "Vit" mache
  • Escarole
  • Baby lacinato kale (the wrinkly thing)
  • Baby red Russian kale
  • Baby white Russian kale
I have most of that stuff. What are the standouts for you?

oh and no swiss chard?
It's coming.

Some of that other stuff overwintered (notably the kales, but even some of the mache, a couple arugula, Carl lettuce, and red tabby spinach - and even one head of escarole). The rest we started in March in the greenhouse. I've got time for another batch of greens before it's too kooky hot so that will be the later in the week project. Cucurbits are already started - waiting for them to come up. Nightshades (maters and peppers) are GTG when we get the tilling done.

The red tabby is doing really well, as is the lettuce and the mustard (Carl lettuce). The Asian greens are getting munched by something. And the arugula is getting bolty - even the new plants - not sure what's going on there.

...aaaaaaand: shelves.

I had cannibalized the old-old greenhouse for that cloche I used on the herb patch by the driveway, but it got pretty sad, so I cannibalized it (and the other leftover parts from the old-old greenhouse) for the shelves for the new greenhouse. [grin]

Hey, I'm nothing if not frugal.

The old greenhouse will likely be going to an aunt, so I didn't want to "borrow" any parts from it.

Back
Top Bottom