Gun "Buybacks"

Dude, this is old new, there is already an article posted and the news has covered it. The "contractor" does destroy the receiver/frame, but sells the parts. He offers this service for free to the department and makes his money on the parts. This is in the agreements with the departments, although they claim ignorace. He does actually destroy full firearms if that's requested but for that he charges the department.

As for selling full turned in guns, you're going to need to provide backup to your FACT claim.

The Guns Were Said to Be Destroyed. Instead, They Were Reborn.
Some states allow for guns that are turned in or confiscated to be sold.

Some states allow for guns that are turned in or confiscated to be sold.
I know PDs will trade in their service guns and these make it to the open market, have a couple.
And we all know about the bonded storage BS where the storage company will auction gun that aren't picked up (due to the super high fees).

But I never seen a PD sell off turned in guns, or directly sell confected firearm.

Would love to know where this has/is happening, post up a link.

I know PDs will trade in their service guns and these make it to the open market, have a couple.
And we all know about the bonded storage BS where the storage company will auction gun that aren't picked up (due to the super high fees).

But I never seen a PD sell off turned in guns, or directly sell confected firearm.

Would love to know where this has/is happening, post up a link.
Years ago in Harrisburg, PA at the Farm Show Complex gun show, there was a couple of guys there with four or five tables full of confiscated or turned in guns stacked like cordwood on the tables. Lots of old beaters at old beater prices. I don't think there was a gun on the table over $75. They were all functional and most were priced @ $50-$75.

Lots of pistol grip pump shotguns, the usual evidence locker brands of cheap pistols, lots of .22 rifles. The FFL I was with bought a bunch of them.
Yes, police departments in Pennsylvania can indeed sell off confiscated guns. A growing number of state laws encourage or require police departments to sell the firearms that officers confiscate, putting them back on the streets. At least 11 states, including Pennsylvania, have adopted such laws since 2009. These laws often go so far as to ban police from destroying confiscated guns. Instead, they require law enforcement agencies to resell the firearms to law-abiding citizens and use the proceeds for various purposes such as infrastructure, law enforcement training, and equipment1.
However, it’s essential to note that this practice is not without controversy. Some law enforcement officials express concerns about the safety risk associated with reselling confiscated firearms. There have been instances where guns sold by police departments were later used in serious crimes, including those against police officers. For example, in New Hope, Minnesota, a mentally unstable man used a shotgun sold by the Duluth Police Department to shoot two officers. The shooter had a history of mental health issues and was prohibited from owning guns, but he circumvented the law through an illegal “straw purchase” from an online auction site1.
In summary, while police departments in Pennsylvania can sell confiscated guns, the decision to do so involves balancing public safety and financial considerations. The debate continues, and opinions vary on whether reselling these firearms is the best approach. What are your thoughts on this matter? Feel free to share your perspective! 🤔🔫

*************************************************************************************************​

There was one show there "pre Y2K", an ammo vendor had and sold about 4 tractor trailer loads of palleted ammo in one weekend. The stuff, (all kinds of calibers) was being brought in and lined up on pallets, about 10 long, two rows.
There were 4 deputies standing guard with shotguns in the center, over large cloth shopping bags full of the cash being collected by the vendor's employees as fast as people could hand it over.
The vendor had several two man crews with two wheelers bringing stacks of cases of ammo out to buyer's vehicles.

Never saw so much ammo disappear in so short a time.

Last edited:
Years ago in Harrisburg, PA at the Farm Show Complex gun show, there was a couple of guys there with four or five tables full of confiscated or turned in guns stacked like cordwood on the tables. Lots of old beaters at old beater prices. I don't think there was a gun on the table over $75. They were all functional and most were priced @ $50-$75.

Lots of pistol grip pump shotguns, the usual evidence locker brands of cheap pistols, lots of .22 rifles. The FFL I was with bought a bunch of them.
Yes, police departments in Pennsylvania can indeed sell off confiscated guns. A growing number of state laws encourage or require police departments to sell the firearms that officers confiscate, putting them back on the streets. At least 11 states, including Pennsylvania, have adopted such laws since 2009. These laws often go so far as to ban police from destroying confiscated guns. Instead, they require law enforcement agencies to resell the firearms to law-abiding citizens and use the proceeds for various purposes such as infrastructure, law enforcement training, and equipment1.
However, it’s essential to note that this practice is not without controversy. Some law enforcement officials express concerns about the safety risk associated with reselling confiscated firearms. There have been instances where guns sold by police departments were later used in serious crimes, including those against police officers. For example, in New Hope, Minnesota, a mentally unstable man used a shotgun sold by the Duluth Police Department to shoot two officers. The shooter had a history of mental health issues and was prohibited from owning guns, but he circumvented the law through an illegal “straw purchase” from an online auction site1.
In summary, while police departments in Pennsylvania can sell confiscated guns, the decision to do so involves balancing public safety and financial considerations. The debate continues, and opinions vary on whether reselling these firearms is the best approach. What are your thoughts on this matter? Feel free to share your perspective! 🤔🔫

*************************************************************************************************​

There was one show there "pre Y2K", an ammo vendor had and sold about 4 tractor trailer loads of palleted ammo in one weekend. The stuff, (all kinds of calibers) was being brought in and lined up on pallets, about 10 long, two rows.
There were 4 deputies standing guard with shotguns in the center, over large cloth shopping bags full of the cash being collected by the vendor's employees as fast as people could hand it over.
The vendor had several two man crews with two wheelers bringing stacks of cases of ammo out to buyer's vehicles.

Never saw so much ammo disappear in so short a time.
I'm honestly surprised that a state would require the sale of confiscated guns, retired issued, sure, that's just gov property. I do wonder if it's been changed since the article on it, the most recent reference I could find was 2015, been a lot of moonbat BS since then.

I'm honestly surprised that a state would require the sale of confiscated guns, retired issued, sure, that's just gov property. I do wonder if it's been changed since the article on it, the most recent reference I could find was 2015, been a lot of moonbat BS since then.
I don't know if the laws have changed since I was there, but some FFLs used to make a lot of money at the various gun shows in PA.

Usingthe web
At least twelve states in the United States prohibit police from destroying valuable and legal guns that come into their possession. These states are:
  1. Arizona
  2. Georgia
  3. Kansas
  4. Kentucky
  5. Louisiana
  6. Montana
  7. North Carolina
  8. North Dakota
  9. Texas
  10. Tennessee
  11. Utah
  12. West Virginia12.
These laws encourage or require police departments to sell the firearms that officers confiscate, putting them back on the streets. Special interest groups like the National Rifle Association (NRA) have influenced these state laws, advocating for the resale of confiscated firearms to law-abiding citizens. The revenue generated from these sales can be used for various purposes, such as infrastructure, law enforcement training, and equipment3.

Usingthe web
At least twelve states in the United States prohibit police from destroying valuable and legal guns that come into their possession. These states are:
  1. Arizona
  2. Georgia
  3. Kansas
  4. Kentucky
  5. Louisiana
  6. Montana
  7. North Carolina
  8. North Dakota
  9. Texas
  10. Tennessee
  11. Utah
  12. West Virginia12.
These laws encourage or require police departments to sell the firearms that officers confiscate, putting them back on the streets. Special interest groups like the National Rifle Association (NRA) have influenced these state laws, advocating for the resale of confiscated firearms to law-abiding citizens. The revenue generated from these sales can be used for various purposes, such as infrastructure, law enforcement training, and equipment3.
Ya, this from 2015, same stuff I found, some of those have probably changed. Not all but some. If you see anything current let me know, I'd be interested in who changed and who did not.

Back
Top Bottom