Scope recommendations for .308

Rough estimate by stacking pennies
This is what I did.

Pick up a used Leupy MK4 3.5-10 with M1 turrets. Use badger or leupy MK4 rings and you’re set for life. All can be found on ARF.com exchange.

Thanks to help from here and bit of direction a decision and purchase has seemingly been made.

Yesterday I got out of work early. I drive by Bass Pro in Foxboro on my way home so I decided to check it out. Went over to the gun counter since that is where they store the scopes. It wasn't very busy. Three people ahead of me, two already being helped with a purchase and one waiting. No big deal I looked in the case for a few min. After a couple of minutes there was no movement. I decided to look around the gun area and then over to where they keep the spotting scopes. After about 10-15 min of wandering around I went back over to gun counter. Same two people being helped and same guy waiting in line. At this point I said f*** it and left. I wouldn't be surprised if I went there today and it was the same three people still there.

I came home a bit more confused with all the options I saw but not being able to touch. I'm at a kid's b-day party and I see I get a message here. Linking me to this... Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen 2 Rifle Scope 5-25x 50mm EBR-2C MRAD . After a few questions it got put into my cart and then ordered. It is not the most recent reticle but I feel it will be just fine for me. If it turns out to not work out I am not out a ton of money. About 1/2 of what I was willing to spend . So if it is a bust on this rifle I'll move it to another rifle and try something different. They claim it will be here the 21st but I'm hoping for sooner.

Thank you everyone for helping me along. I'm sure this wont be the last time.

Nice. Steiner makes decent scopes, and have a no BS lifetime warranty. Can’t go wrong there.

My .308 has a 1-8x on it, but I’m trying to decide if I should move that to my AR, and put a Burris 3-18x on the 308.

But of course, this is definitely “steel-clanger” mentality all the way.
The x ring is 3”, and at 300 yards , it’s a postage stamp to me . 😂😂😂😂 I kid.

Thanks to help from here and bit of direction a decision and purchase has seemingly been made.

Yesterday I got out of work early. I drive by Bass Pro in Foxboro on my way home so I decided to check it out. Went over to the gun counter since that is where they store the scopes. It wasn't very busy. Three people ahead of me, two already being helped with a purchase and one waiting. No big deal I looked in the case for a few min. After a couple of minutes there was no movement. I decided to look around the gun area and then over to where they keep the spotting scopes. After about 10-15 min of wandering around I went back over to gun counter. Same two people being helped and same guy waiting in line. At this point I said f*** it and left. I wouldn't be surprised if I went there today and it was the same three people still there.

I came home a bit more confused with all the options I saw but not being able to touch. I'm at a kid's b-day party and I see I get a message here. Linking me to this... Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen 2 Rifle Scope 5-25x 50mm EBR-2C MRAD . After a few questions it got put into my cart and then ordered. It is not the most recent reticle but I feel it will be just fine for me. If it turns out to not work out I am not out a ton of money. About 1/2 of what I was willing to spend . So if it is a bust on this rifle I'll move it to another rifle and try something different. They claim it will be here the 21st but I'm hoping for sooner.

U have tools and skill to install that scope on your rifle?best if you pay a gunsmith if you don't know how to do it.i wasted a lot of ammo learning how to install and zero scope on my rifles .

U have tools and skill to install that scope on your rifle?best if you pay a gunsmith if you don't know how to do it.i wasted a lot of ammo learning how to install and zero scope on my rifles .
Yes I should be just fine. I've done it before. Seems like a life time ago but I used to build some of the top race bikes in the area. Would like to go back to those days but pay and benefits sucked compared to what I do now. Will probably waste some ammo in the process either way :)

Bought that same scope last night. Killer deal.

Bass pro and cabelas are the same way. They don't even acknowledge you unless they're free. Even then they just wait until they feel like dealing with another customer. I was the first one in a Cabela's within 5 minutes of it opening. I was picking up a bolt action I had already paid for. I stood there for 10 minutes while two guys fiddled around behind the counter before one decided to even ask if I needed help. Big box gonna big box. I had to go there because they carried a specific bolt action at the best possible price I could find.

Bass pro and cabelas are the same way. They don't even acknowledge you unless they're free. Even then they just wait until they feel like dealing with another customer. I was the first one in a Cabela's within 5 minutes of it opening. I was picking up a bolt action I had already paid for. I stood there for 10 minutes while two guys fiddled around behind the counter before one decided to even ask if I needed help. Big box gonna big box. I had to go there because they carried a specific bolt action at the best possible price I could find.

Ya I don't expect much these days. I like going there because they generally have a better selection of accessories to fondle. None of my local guys have anywhere near the stock of optics in their case and I don't expect them to have one. My experience in either has been ok. Nothing like Friday. In the end it all worked out for the best. Now I have my gift cards lined up for something else.

Thanks for the heads up on the scope.

Back
Top Bottom