What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Yikes.
The general shooting public is kind of pathetic. It looks like too many rely on the perceived reputation of a certain firearm, or how cool they think it looks, instead of their ability to shoot a certain rifle to it's potential.

I think I've said it here or elsewhere; "accuracy" is really 3 factors.
1. The mechanical accuracy of the rifle: lock it down in a vise to remove all variables.
2. A barrel wants ammo that it likes.
3. Once the first 2 are taken care of, the person behind the trigger needs to allow the rifle to fire with minimal input from the shooter.

And maybe
4. Atmospheric conditions

Yeah 25mph gusts do make things fun.

Pat, you ever make it to Camp Ethan Allen? Always fun when you are at 600 yards and every wind flag you can see is stiffly pointing in a different direction. 🤪

Pat, you ever make it to Camp Ethan Allen? Always fun when you are at 600 yards and every wind flag you can see is stiffly pointing in a different direction. 🤪
I used to go every year. We had a crew of a dozen or more guys from ME go over for the Memorial Day weekend matches. I haven't been for 10 years or more.

Edit: I just looked up in my old match results, and 2016 was the last time I shot there.

Last edited:
I know this thread is not the classifieds, but if anyone wants a laser rangefinder and a kestrel for very reasonable money I'm looking to sell 2 items.

I bought a non ballistic computer Kestrel to force me to learn to do things manually.

These items have served their purposes and I'm ready to buy a Kestrel 5700.

Here is a link to the ad.

Yikes.
The general shooting public is kind of pathetic. It looks like too many rely on the perceived reputation of a certain firearm, or how cool they think it looks, instead of their ability to shoot a certain rifle to it's potential.

I think I've said it here or elsewhere; "accuracy" is really 3 factors.
1. The mechanical accuracy of the rifle: lock it down in a vise to remove all variables.
2. A barrel wants ammo that it likes.
3. Once the first 2 are taken care of, the person behind the trigger needs to allow the rifle to fire with minimal input from the shooter.

And maybe
4. Atmospheric conditions

Behind every blade if grass will be a fat dude with a "zeroed" ruger american.

Back
Top Bottom