1,000 people die every day due to guns

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
http://media.www.easttennessean.com/media/storag...s-2790542.shtml
Guns do not save or secure lives
Darren Seiber
Issue date: 3/26/07 Section: ViewPoint

It is often said that everything's bigger in Texas - and without the assistance of Academy Award worthy films such as "Debbie Does Dallas" - some may believe this saying to be nothing more than a myth. But for the Texans who don't quite measure up � there is always another way to compensate: own a gun. Because we all know how Texans love their guns, right?
However, the truth of the matter is, that Texas gun laws are no less lax than that of other states. It seems to be a love, hunger, thirst and desire for guns that has swept throughout the entire country - and with fatal results.
An epidemic of intended crime prevention has proven to host a whole new genre of crime; one that's faster, easier and comes with a load of alibis. Now, now, a good American can never pass up a bargain.
Maybe that explains why 1,000 people die every day due to guns. Anti-gun control supporters will immediately attack that statement to say, and I only quote the ignorant, to not believe it, "Guns don't kill people. People kill people!" My, with such a mind set, every gun supporter should have a degree in philosophy. Maybe then they could articulate in such a way that the blame game just might work.
Sure, we can continue to blame guns for homicides, suicides, war deaths and freak accidents for as long as we like. But when other nations, such as Canada, reform gun laws only to see a 46 percent decrease in gun-related deaths, America might want to check its facts again. Not that our ego would ever allow any real admittance of having been in the wrong.
We are wrong because guns are wrong. They are deadly, unethical creations that do not save or secure any number of lives that could build a reliable statistic. Instead, there are mountains of statistics telling us otherwise.
Take, for instance, this statistic: for women, having a gun in the house increases the chances of being murdered by 172 percent. If that's not good enough, chew on this for a while: one study showed that people who attempt to use a gun in self-defense are four times as likely to die. Having a gun in the home does not make you safer. It is not an imaginary insurance policy.
I'm not sure any statistic could change the mind of someone set on owning a gun. No matter what is said in favor of gun control, it would seem that the Second Amendment has blinded us for too long. I suppose that 300 years ago, on the frontier, out in the West, and in the Appalachian Mountains, guns were necessary.

"Maybe that explains why 1,000 people die every day due to guns"

Is this asswipe smokeing crack? I think he added a zero at the end of his figures and then doubled them to make it look worse. What a moron.

I think I'll email him the FBI stats.

mmm... you got a link... that one doesnt work for m.

It's a college newspaper. What do you expect? The good guys are out on
the range practicing and the moonbats are mouthing the NYT. Surprising
for Tennessee but it is Al Gore's state. Maybe they should be out picking
up the leaves so they don't rot and contribute to global warming.

I hope some ex con with a crowbar visits him in the near
future. [flame]

His little editorial is filled with monumental amounts of BS,
including citing f'ing IANSA. [angry] Yeah, that's smart,
cite IANSA, the organization who is essentially trying to deprive
people across the world of the right to defend themselves.

. It's not hard to understand that if men make up the majority of gun owners, which they do, and men are far more impulsive and badly tempered than females, then deaths associated with guns is likely to be very evident. It's much easier to end an argument, unhappy life, child's crying, spousal cheating or a robbery with a simple click.

Nice going there, mr misandrist. Let's put you in jail too, becuase
you're a man, after all, since men are more attuned to violence, let's
just incarcerate them to begin wtih. [rolleyes]

And for what reason? So that gun owners can feel more secure knowing that their families are safe, they may still enjoy the pointless sport of killing wild animals and their power is ensured.

Yes, because because everyone who owns a gun MUST shoot at animals,
it's part of gun ownership! [rolleyes] wtf.

Sounds like he's one of the people who originally brainwashed jim
zumbo. This statement is so ignorant I don't even know where to
begin. [[angry]

He also looks like an emo moonbat pussy, who probably voted for
kerry and liked it. I know women that have more testosterone
than that.

-Mike

Is this asswipe smokeing crack? I think he added a zero at the end of his figures and then doubled them to make it look worse. What a moron.

I would agree with 1,000 if he were talking about around the globe. But that's not what's happening here in thew US so he needs to STFU.

Link

http://media.www.easttennessean.com/

fourth article down called viewpoint. On the continuing page there is a feedback prompt.

I would agree with 1,000 if he were talking about around the globe. But that's not what's happening here in thew US so he needs to STFU.

Yeah, it's reaily fair to lump the rates of first world nations in with all the third world shitholes where many people get shot on a daily basis. Almost seems with that stat like he also lumped in the casualties of ongoing wars as well, which typically have almost nothing to do with civilian ownership of guns.

-Mike

You really shouldn't rely on IANSA for any statistics, or any other organization that has such a clearly biased agenda.

Other than the Canadian homicide rate, there isn't a single "fact" in this article.

In the U.S., there were 11,624 firearms related homicdes in 2004. There were 16,750 suicides by firearms (2004 numbers from the CDC). It's important to note that the U.S. has one of the lowest suicide rates in the industialized world.

Also, between 1.5MM and 2.5MM people each year defend themselves with firearms (according to the USDOJ under Janet Reno). Mostly without a shot being fired.

The study you quoted about women being 172 times more likely to die if they have a firearm is seriously flawed. The study is based on law abiding people killing vs. being killed by an assailant. Since most law abiding citizens don't shoot at all (they'll scare away an intruder or hold them for the police), or only wound an assailant, the numbers are almost in the reverse to actually benefit the woman or anyone.

Re: The Utopia of Canada
While you are correct, the homicide rate in Canada was 2.04/100,000 in 2005, it's actually risen steadily since 2003.

The violent crime rate in Canada is twice what it is in the U.S.

Violent Crime
U.S. Violent crime rate for 2005 (the latest available) was 469.2 violent crimes per 100,000 people (FBI)

Canada's was 942.9 per 100,000 people

Property Crimes
Property crimes: The U.S. had 3429.8 per 100.000 (FBI)

Canada had 3737.6 per 100,000

Last edited:
Yeah, it's reaily fair to lump the rates of first world nations in with all the third world shitholes where many people get shot on a daily basis. Almost seems with that stat like he also lumped in the casualties of ongoing wars as well, which typically have almost nothing to do with civilian ownership of guns.

-Mike

No, it's not fair. But that's what he is doing.

No matter what is said in favor of gun control, it would seem that the Second Amendment has blinded us for too long. I suppose that 300 years ago, on the frontier, out in the West, and in the Appalachian Mountains, guns were necessary.

I think the founding fathers would have shot him.

The other little thing that nobody mentions is that most of those people who are shot to death every day in other countries live in countries with strict gun control, if not outright prohibition, usually at the hands of their own governments or unofficial militias supported by their governments. If they had guns things could only get worse there, at least for the people now murdering them, who are the only ones for whom the UN and the other international alphabet soup give a shite.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom