• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A friend bought a place up in Maine, NW of Portland on a decent sized lake. Come Summer, the neighbor has his sailboat put in and anchors it to the float literally midway offshore from my friend’s shore. When the wind turns the sailboat, it blocks access to his dock.

He asks the neighbor if he might dock the boat to one of the floats in front of his own shore and the neighbor says the formers owners said it was OK, but moved the sailboat. But still sometimes moors it in front of his shore. The last thing my friend wants to do it get in a pissing match with a neighbor as they are otherwise frIendly. Yet to be resolved this 2nd Summer.

Our SoNH neighborhood was a segment of property a NH native landowner had sold for development, 1/2mi into the woods off 114N at the Bedford/Goffstown border. Our first year, we saw a truck parked in front of our house. Later, a few guys in orange camp come walking through our backyard from the abandoned fields behind our house, also owned by that NH family, down our driveway and head for the truck. I politely let them know I don’t want them walking on my property and that it’s a private development, so they can’t park here either. There are No Trespassing signs at the field edge facing the field at the stone wall marking my property boundary. They get all pissy, saying the landowner gave them permission to hunt here for the past 20 years, it’s a public street, etc., and drive off. I call an officer with our PD I know with the plate number, who says they’ll have a chat with the guys.

The next week, the truck is back, so I call the officer back, who confirms that the owner was advised on trespass, so the PD come out and waits for them to issue a summons. Last I saw of them.

People can be real dicks…

People think, "well that one guy told me it was ok once so I've got rights forever." No. No you don't.

Almost exclusively, these people never have and never will own any sort of property. They are perpetual users and assume that they can use what they want when they want. Ugh.

People think, "well that one guy told me it was ok once so I've got rights forever." No. No you don't.

Almost exclusively, these people never have and never will own any sort of property. They are perpetual users and assume that they can use what they want when they want. Ugh.
Having had two lake houses my take away was the people with the least amount invested took up the most room.

Tell party boy to eff off....

Of course you should also check local laws...but for the most part, this.....

Littoral rights refer to the legal use and enjoyment of the shoreline for land that borders a pooled body of water like a pond, lake, or sea.

Littoral land refers to land that borders a pooled body of water, such as a lake, ocean, or sea. This differs from riparian land that borders a flowing water source like a river or stream. Littoral rights are generally concerned with the legal use and enjoyment of the shoreline. Littoral proprietors are occupants of land that border these bodies of water. However, individuals do not have title to or ownership of the water.

Nevertheless, property owners whose land adjoins bodies of water have a reasonable right to the use of the water, but the water is not theirs. Therefore, there are limitations to what a property owner can do with that water.
i first heard of this law, while salmon fishing up in New Brunswick. up there the land owners with riparian rights, who own basically the shoreline to halfway across the river, if their land borders the stream, and some own both sides, having exclusive rights to who can fish there.

i first heard of this law, while salmon fishing up in New Brunswick. up there the land owners with riparian rights, who own basically the shoreline to halfway across the river, if their land borders the stream, and some own both sides, having exclusive rights to who can fish there.
In NH they own the land under the water, but they don't own the water.

08302018_Ordnance_tzr_112642.jpg

The Mom’s were all dealing with crying kids. The Dad’s were all discussing whether the pool filter would get the blood out. They decided a chlorine shock and filtration would do it but the Mom’s demanded a complete drain, hose-down and refill. The story only gets better with time…
What the hell is this caddy shack.....

Was fIshing a tournament on a local lake with a buddy. One of those lakes all the locals pay the lake association to poison the weeds. So when all the weeds die the fish move to the only available structure left which is the docks. So we are skipping lures up under the docks and up next to the boats He is throwing an unweighted rubber worm. His worm skips into the side of a ski boat. O damage done possible by a 1/4 oz of rubber worm. Dock owner comes charging out screaming profanities about him hitting his boat. Buddy turns to him and says "Relax buddy its just rubber, just like your father should have used...." I almost choked with laughter! And we trolled off laughing to the increased caucauphony of the endless stream of additional profanities being hurled in our direction for the next 10 mins.

Back
Top Bottom