• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10/22 build?

Back to 10/22 barrel swaps, just watched a utube video, had no clue they just slid on/off. No threads, nice!

Thanks. I know there are cheaper options on 30-06 by purchasing through CMP or reloading. Problem is I only one the one "beater" M1 so with only one rifle in my collection chambered in 30-06 I'm having a hard time justifying a bulk purchase. I try to keep my fire arms "consolidated" so the ammo I stock up on can be used in multiple guns. Like my wife and my carry guns are both .38/357 magnum. I have a few rifles in 7.62X54r and now three that are .22lr and many that use 12G or 20G. SO for those I don't mind stocking up on. If I ever by another "short range" rifle it would more than likely be a lever gun or bolt action in 357 magnum for the ability to cross level ammo.

Know what.....now that I think of it.......maybe I just need a 1903 srpingfield to keep the m1 company.....yeah.....that makes sense :)

I hear ya. I try to do the same with consolidating calibers. I was considering getting a 1903 eventually to go with the m1 too lol. Seems legit to me.

I've got 4 Garands and I'm looking at getting another. When it goes to the range I only put 2 or 3 clips through her. Quite the attention getter and everyone who shoots it smiles from ear to ear. Then it stays tucked away in the cabinet for a while. While it's tucked away, shoot that 10/22 you already have :)

The Garand will only appreciate in value and will become a family heirloom. Think long term, not short :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine was showing me his new 10/22 the other day and it got me thinking. I have an ancient (70's) 10/22 that I almost never shoot anymore, along with a newer one that I use for hunting plinking etc.

I was thinking how fun it would be to build a sweet little bull barrel, suppressed, accurate 10/22 for cheap long range plinking. Am I dumb investing $ into a 10/22 or is it a good idea? I could spend money better surely, I want a semi auto 12g for competitions... But the 10/22 is cheaper and looks fun...

I'm thinking of getting a green mountain or tactical solutions bull barrel, threaded for a can of course, a timney or other trigger group, and a hogue stock. Throw it all together, get some cheap, but quality glass on it, and having a decent <300 yard plinking gun. I've never done it though, never messed with a 10/22, do I need to replace the bolt as well to optimize this setup or will the 30 year old bolt do? Do the threaded receivers work well for mounting your weaver rail on? Scope recomendations?

I bought one of these barrels when I got close to getting my Pilot2 out of NFA prison. I didn't want a heavy, expensive .22, and this was a cheap way to turn my old 10/22 into a suppressor host. I can't tell you how accurate it is because I have not shot it at paper yet, but banging away on a small frying pan about 50 yards away from my deck with it is a blast.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/threaded-twist-ruger-1022-barrel-p-534.html

But to get the most accuracy/fun IMO, you need to use decent 22 ammo. Subsonic CCI SV works best out of my 10/22 build. Mine is a GM 20" blued barrel, Kidd single stage trigger group, Boyd Tacticool stock, bipod, and a Nikon Rimfire pro-staff 3-9x40. I have a couple other small parts that I swapped out like the extractor, charging handle, guide rod and springs. It is stupid accurate at 100 yards, can blast shotgun shells all day.
9 years later (first built it up in 2012) and I decided I wanted a shorter barrel AND had to be stainless since I’m such a sucker for SS😂
So I bought a KIDD 16.5" polished SS bull barrel to replace the 20" Green Mountain blued bull barrel. Real nice. Just installed the barrel tonight and won’t have a chance to shoot it until next weekend when I’m backing from hunting in Maine. Can’t wait to try it out.
6787F857-1F13-4B6D-9FDF-345CD3CB8AF3.jpeg A45D7BA9-A0A1-4EC2-BC23-F97D5966EA73.jpeg 26EBDCE9-82C8-4647-AE57-6E6A9BA4BCEE.jpeg

@mac1911 You should be proud I didn’t opt for the threaded barrel and slap a muzzle brake on it…😂
I like the target crown better.

Last edited:
A friend of mine was showing me his new 10/22 the other day and it got me thinking. I have an ancient (70's) 10/22 that I almost never shoot anymore, along with a newer one that I use for hunting plinking etc.

I was thinking how fun it would be to build a sweet little bull barrel, suppressed, accurate 10/22 for cheap long range plinking. Am I dumb investing $ into a 10/22 or is it a good idea? I could spend money better surely, I want a semi auto 12g for competitions... But the 10/22 is cheaper and looks fun...

I'm thinking of getting a green mountain or tactical solutions bull barrel, threaded for a can of course, a timney or other trigger group, and a hogue stock. Throw it all together, get some cheap, but quality glass on it, and having a decent <300 yard plinking gun. I've never done it though, never messed with a 10/22, do I need to replace the bolt as well to optimize this setup or will the 30 year old bolt do? Do the threaded receivers work well for mounting your weaver rail on? Scope recomendations?
Honestly after building my 10/22 and not even getting silly in price,,,,for long range plinking 200 yards or so I think money spent on a nicer 22lr bolt gun would be better. That bergera R14 looks like a sweet rifle

Honestly after building my 10/22 and not even getting silly in price,,,,for long range plinking 200 yards or so I think money spent on a nicer 22lr bolt gun would be better. That bergera R14 looks like a sweet rifle
OP is going to come I'm here and fag shame everyone in this thread for being into 10/22s.

OP is going to come I'm here and fag shame everyone in this thread for being into 10/22s.
Thats fine , i swore I would never buy a 10/22 let alone spend more modifying it but I did and honestly if I could get a nice trigger from the 513t I would consider it better than the 10/22 and the 513t is 80 years old 340192C4-5091-4EF3-ABCF-7B461EAFAA9C.png

Shut up faggot. 10/22s are gay and semi auto 12g's are for ginormous c***s.

PS: only homos "plink".

You're gay, kill yourself.

ETA: instead of building "muh 10/22 or a 12g semi for muh practiscorecumpenetration" stack 9mm and 556, buy a bunch of cheap AKs and 7N6, toilet paper, n95s, and bitcoin.

You know, about a year or so ago, I would’ve fag shamed any grown man for even thinking about buying a .22 of any kind, but the scarcity/absence of match grade 6.5 Manbun or even FGMM .308, made me rethink my position. The loss of decline of my fundamentals and testosterone levels as well as the affordability of ammo made me get over the loss of dignity, and I bought a Ruger precision Rimfire, topped it with an Arken scope, and bought 500 rounds of CCI and several boxes of assorted match ammo (to find out what the rifle actually likes best, once it’s broken in and settled ) for less than I would’ve paid for a bare rifle in a grown up caliber. I have yet to shoot it, but I’m sure it’ll be fun.

Well the weather held up so I hit the range. KIDD guarantees half inch 5 shot group at 50 yards with CCI SV. This was a 10 shot group at 50 just using a bipod and my decent shooting skills 😂
May group better when it’s not gusting 25 mph?…

9F12E599-E2AF-43F4-82E2-2E92F98AB806.jpeg
70107EF7-D2DD-4697-828F-3CD5942705CA.jpeg

Luv my Kidd, have you tried PRS with it?
Nah. This is just a range toy. My buddy Mike @MC56 does a lot of PRS both centerfire and rimfire and wants me to jump into it but I’m not 😂
Sticking with USPSA/IDPA for competitive shooting for now.

I have a couple, built more or less to "Appleseed" specs. They're fun, accurate and cheap to shoot. Plus you can stick a 100+ round magazine on them or if you live in Mass you can find pre ban 30 rd banana "clips" easily enough.

1635627262219.png

The bolt release, Tech Sights and the AR style sling are "Must Do" mods. See this ancient thread:

I love the 10/22, in ALL configurations!!! Except for those in CHOAT stocks.
I own 4 in different configs including one of the last original Calico 2-22 weapons systems, and with 2, 110rd GSG drums it rocks!
I built my wife a pink laminated left hand thumbhole stock with pink aluminum fluted barrel, and pink extended mag release rifle for her birthday.
One day I built up just what the original poster was talking about. I got a threaded heavy barrel, hogged out the stock and put my suppressor on it. The optics were just the cheep "Walmart Red Dot", but its great for varmints.

If you like the Ruger mini-14 folding stock, there is company now making those EXACT stocks for the 10/22 now.
I have one and they are great.
20210705_173705.jpg

RC

Back
Top Bottom