• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10/22 Timney EC vs BX Trigger with Brimstone

Which trigger is better? Ignore the cost.

• Total voters

nightpoison

NES Member
My question is looking at these two triggers. Forget the price. Let's just say they are exactly the same price. Which do you think I should pick up?

Let's pretend that the Kidd triggers don't exist.

Well that was a disappointing thread. Good thing this isn't Stackexchange.

Well I ended up ordering both as I have multiple 10/22's and I figured I would give them a try.

Now I'm going to wait and see. Maybe I'll keep both, maybe I'll sell both for a Kidd.

I wasn't aware that the Timney CE came in a single stage and a two stage. I thought it was a single stage only. Well, I ended up grabbing the two stage.

I know nothing about BX but I was thrilled with the customer service from Timney. I had bought a drop in for my AR10 and it arrived messed up. Full exchange, no BS, no jumping thru hoops, speedy response all around and a free bunch of swag as an apology.
When I ordered the Timney I called it in. They were great.

Interesting to hear your take on these two triggers. I have a Kidd and a stock Ruger that I reworked with all Volquartsen innards back in the day before Volquartsen offered full triggers and Kidd was still in diapers. I did some polishing of the key contact points for the Volquartsen improved stock trigger. Honestly, I think I liked my reworked trigger slightly better than the Kidd except that the Kidd has that lever mag drop which is a huge convenience.

Haven't tried a Timney in a 10/22 but I'm sure they are of the usual Timney high quality. Let us know if Brimstone did a great job reworking the BX trigger.

I'm currently waiting for Brimstone to send me back a BX. I also looked at Kidd but based on countless hours of research it seemed like a BX from Brimstone is exactly what I want in a trigger.

I have the regular BX , and a Volquartsen, they are both much better than a stock set-up.
In my two 10/22's I currently have a BX and a Clark Custom trigger build. I would argue almost anything is better than the stock setup.

The BX for the money is a quality upgrade in my opinion. The Clark Custom was better than the BX for just a rework, but lately I've been having issues with it. It's old, maybe 10 years now.

So I figured it was time for a new trigger. I'm eventually going to grab a Kidd 2stage, but I just ordered a Kidd Supergrade barrel and action, and I wanted to try out some other triggers first.

Interesting to hear your take on these two triggers. I have a Kidd and a stock Ruger that I reworked with all Volquartsen innards back in the day before Volquartsen offered full triggers and Kidd was still in diapers. I did some polishing of the key contact points for the Volquartsen improved stock trigger. Honestly, I think I liked my reworked trigger slightly better than the Kidd except that the Kidd has that lever mag drop which is a huge convenience.

Haven't tried a Timney in a 10/22 but I'm sure they are of the usual Timney high quality. Let us know if Brimstone did a great job reworking the BX trigger.
So rather than ship them my BX trigger, I just bought a new one from them. This way I now have a stock trigger, a stock BX, a reworked BX from Brimstone, and 2stage Timney CE. I can do some side by side comparisons.

I'll keep you posted on the turnaround time. I placed my order for a new BX with the upgrades (and mag release) last Monday and haven't heard a peep yet, although I know David is very busy so I'm being patient.

I'll keep you posted on the turnaround time. I placed my order for a new BX with the upgrades (and mag release) last Monday and haven't heard a peep yet, although I know David is very busy so I'm being patient.
I did the exact same order, new BX, trigger work, and mag release. I put the order in on Friday. Here's hoping they ship me yours.

Kidding, thanks hopefully you hear something soon. I assumed there would be a little bit of a wait.

So rather than ship them my BX trigger, I just bought a new one from them. This way I now have a stock trigger, a stock BX, a reworked BX from Brimstone, and 2stage Timney CE. I can do some side by side comparisons.

We better not be building identical rifles![rofl]
Well, @nightpoison has 4 different triggers, which requires him to build additional rifles if he does not already have one for each trigger. Hell, the rifles are practically finished already. I once bought an AR-308 port cover in a NES group buy, so I figured I was that far along and may as well finish an AR in 6.5 CM.

Well, @nightpoison has 4 different triggers, which requires him to build additional rifles if he does not already have one for each trigger. Hell, the rifles are practically finished already. I once bought an AR-308 port cover in a NES group buy, so I figured I was that far along and may as well finish an AR in 6.5 CM.
Kalash is laughing, but you're not wrong. haha. I currently only have two 10/22s, and yes I'll have four triggers, but I'll only be building one new rifle out of this. I won't be putting a stock 10/22 back into another rifle. haha.

I have a Kidd bolt, and supergrade barrel and a receiver, on the way. One of these triggers will be going into a Victor Titan stock with the Kidd Barrel and receiver. The receiver and barrel it will be replacing is a Volquartson Reciever with a Clark Custom barrel. So there's no chance that's just going to sit around naked.

Ok so we really are building nearly identical rifles [laugh] I have a Titan stock and Kidd bull barrel, about to order a Kidd receiver and bolt soon. Still trying to figure out scope rings, that part is confusing.

Ok so we really are building nearly identical rifles [laugh] I have a Titan stock and Kidd bull barrel, about to order a Kidd receiver and bolt soon. Still trying to figure out scope rings, that part is confusing.
Haha, does seem very similar.

I really want to find a way to drill the titan stock so I can swap barrels without having to pop the receiver from the stock.

What's confusing about the scope rings?

Haha, does seem very similar.

I really want to find a way to drill the titan stock so I can swap barrels without having to pop the receiver from the stock.

What's confusing about the scope rings?
It's only two screws to remove the action!

I can't figure out what height rings I need. E.g. Vortex has four different options and I can't tell which one(s) will let a 50mm bell clear a bull barrel, especially since the receiver will have an integrated rail (as opposed to stock Ruger).

It's only two screws to remove the action!

I can't figure out what height rings I need. E.g. Vortex has four different options and I can't tell which one(s) will let a 50mm bell clear a bull barrel, especially since the receiver will have an integrated rail (as opposed to stock Ruger).

Objective radius - tube radius - barrel to top of rail " minimum scope height.

This has always worked for me and gotten me the lowest possible ring height. I'll buy the branded rings that are closest possible min height.

Yes, I realize it's only two screws to remove the action. But it's also only two screws to remove the barrel and do a quick change on the barrel if the stock is drilled properly.

I do find the part about vortex mounts being bad interesting because I've heard the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom