10.5" 5.56 muzzle device?

DW357

NES Member
So I submitted my form 1 last week for a 9.25" 22lr SBR and now I already want to get a 10.5" 5.56 upper to fool around with. Not doing any sort of CQB classes or anything. Just a range toy. I’m starting to see the addiction with SBRs. Next will be a 9mm PCC SBR....

Anyway, I see a lot of discussion on linear compensators with 5.56 SBRs (especially 7.5“ and 10.5" barrels) but wonder if their worth getting or do I just stick with a flash hider and be done with it?

I don’t want a muzzle brake as I think the 10.5" barrel will be loud enough as it is [laugh]

Thoughts?

Go short, an A2, Battlecomp, or BCM is what I would do if not mounting a can. Big comps on short guns kind of defeat the purpose to me. If using a device that adds 2 or 3 inches to your OAL, may as well use a longer barrel with a shorter muzzle device. 10.5" guns are obnoxious any way you tip them.

If using a device that adds 2 or 3 inches to your OAL, may as well use a longer barrel with a shorter muzzle device.
Very true and something I had been considering. I was torn for awhile between 7.5” and 10.5" but it seems like you lose accuracy and velocity big time with the 7.5. Then again it’s not supposed to be a PRS gun at that length...

I was almost wondering if I should just put on a thread protector for the shortest length but then that will be even more obnoxious? [laugh]

I’ve got a BCM comp on my other AR (16" barrel) and it works well and isn’t crazy long.

I definitely want this as short and handy as possible without going with a 7.5"

10.x" is a good set up, we have been killing dudes with 10" rifles for a long time. I currently have a 10.5" gun, but that is because my first can was super long and heavy. If I could do it over again, now that I have a shorter lighter can, I would do a 11.5 or a 12.5" for the added velocity, softer action, and slightly longer rail for muh larp accessories.

10.x" is a good set up, we have been killing dudes with 10" rifles for a long time. I currently have a 10.5" gun, but that is because my first can was super long and heavy. If I could do it over again, now that I have a shorter lighter can, I would do a 11.5 or a 12.5" for the added velocity, softer action, and slightly longer rail for muh larp accessories.
Nice! Wish I could have a can...maybe someday I’ll move or get a 07 FFL...

How about them cookie cutter comps from strike industries? Looks like they’re roughly 1.5" in overall length which is slightly shorter than a FH?

How bad would it be to just use a thread protector? I’ve never shot an AR that didn’t have some sort of comp/brake/FH so I’m genuinely curious.

WHAT????!?!?

[laugh]

Talk about obnoxious. I originally had a 2 chamber AAC break on my 10.5", unsuppressed it rattled my teeth as the shooter, I had to swap it for a flash hider.

Embrace the spectacle...

🐯

WHAT????!?!?

[laugh]

Talk about obnoxious. I originally had a 2 chamber AAC break on my 10.5", unsuppressed it rattled my teeth as the shooter, I had to swap it for a flash hider.
Ouch! Don’t want that. Maybe I’ll pass on the cookie cutter then [laugh]

Worse than no muzzle device?

Embrace the spectacle...

🐯
Thanks.
That’s over 3 inches long though. I’m sure it’s a nice flash can but I’m looking for something shorter. Looking like I might just have to stick with a FH.

Thanks.
That’s over 3 inches long though. I’m sure it’s a nice flash can but I’m looking for something shorter. Looking like I might just have to stick with a FH.

If at first you don’t succeed try, try, something or other...

🐯

A stock A2 flash hider on a 10.5" works just fine. That's what I've got on mine.
Yeah maybe I'll just stick with an A2 FH. The complete uppers that I'm interested in buying come with a FH installed.
Thanks.

If you aren't running a can, there are benefits of pushing to 11.5". Dwell time, velocity, reliability. All with an extra inch.
I use an A2 birdcage on my 11.5, a Surefire warcomp on my 10.3.

My 10.5” has a Surfire Socom brake on it and I also have the Surfire Warden that goes over that. Pretty cool system that works great and if you ever get somewhere where supressors are legal you’re all set to add one.

it’s not teeth chattering and I’ve had no problem ringing steel out to 300 yards.
The Warden makes friendly to other people around you.

Nice! Wish I could have a can...maybe someday I’ll move or get a 07 FFL...

How about them cookie cutter comps from strike industries? Looks like they’re roughly 1.5" in overall length which is slightly shorter than a FH?

How bad would it be to just use a thread protector? I’ve never shot an AR that didn’t have some sort of comp/brake/FH so I’m genuinely curious.

Cookie Cutter is great for social distancing at the range. Nobody will want to be within 6 feet on either side of you!

I have a Krink-style flash hider on my pistol. It’s yuge. My other choice was a Miculek [laugh]...I might swap over to a Q Cherry Bomb at some point.
FBF7C198-F3D7-4B12-B31F-DC053DD951B3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom