• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10 Greatest Firearms in History?

I guess it would depend on how you define greatest. One gun that I think should not be on the list is the S&W model 29. With the theme of most of the other guns, I would assume this list was meant to focus on guns that played the biggest roles in history (unless I am wrong). The ordering of the guns seems a bit confusing too.

Personally I like Arthur's Top 10 Manliest Firearms (from Arthur's Hall of Viking Manliness) better.

I also agree with the Mod 29 thing. It seems the AR coulda fit in there somewhere too.

dsc02763-tm.jpg

1 Colt 1911 .45 ACP
Priorities seem to be in order here.

Crappy list. No Garand? Is he kidding? Also, he included the Colt SAA, but the Colt - Patterson of 1836 probably had more influence on settlement of the west. It was the revolver that allowed the Texas Rangers to fight back effectively against the Commanche raiding bands.
I'd include the Smith & Wesson Model of 1905 before I'd include the Model 29. That was the DA revolver that started it all.

The MG34 was probably more revolutionary than the MG42, but that's just my though.

Crappy list. No Garand? Is he kidding? Also, he included the Colt SAA, but the Colt - Patterson of 1836 probably had more influence on settlement of the west. It was the revolver that allowed the Texas Rangers to fight back effectively against the Commanche raiding bands.
I'd include the Smith & Wesson Model of 1905 before I'd include the Model 29. That was the DA revolver that started it all.

The MG34 was probably more revolutionary than the MG42, but that's just my though.

Not sure if this is true, but I've been told the m240 machine gun (m60 replacement, and a heluvalota fun to shoot) is modeled after the mg42. Could've been a deciding factor.

Not sure if this is true, but I've been told the m240 machine gun (m60 replacement, and a heluvalota fun to shoot) is modeled after the mg42. Could've been a deciding factor.

I thought that the M60 was modeled after the MG42. Looking at the Wikipedia article on the FN MAG 58, which is the non US designation for the M240, it says that the trigger group and feed mechanism are based on the MG42, while the locking mechanism is based on the BAR design.

Not that Wikipedia is all that authoritative, but it's a quick look up.

Glock chambered in .40 Sig? I think he means .40 S&W...

And I thought the German Mauser held 5 rounds, not 8?

Glock chambered in .40 Sig? I think he means .40 S&W...

And I thought the German Mauser held 5 rounds, not 8?

Yep its a pretty bad list made by someone who probably found all their info from watching action movies.

Garand for sure (ask Patton). The Henry? Nice gun, but sold very few. The Winchester 92 or 86 or 94, maybe. The Pennsylvania rifle certainly changed history and warfare. The AR15 won a few wars. The Gatling, the Thompson and the BAR might have a claim, if the MG42 is in there.

I'm guessing this was written by someone who really didn't now much about guns.

The Browning Machine Gun is chambered for the most awe-inspiring shoulder-fired cartridge to date. It is designed with one thing in mind: power tends to corrupt; absolute power is kinda sweet. The 800 grain powder load has 14,895 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle, which is enough to put a full metal jacketed round through three approaching vehicles. It has shot down helicopters with one round.

800 grain Powder Load ? WTF?

Even EC wouldn't make a handload that hot. [shocked]
Considering the standard powder charge of the .50 BMG cartridge is somewhere between 185-235 grains.

Back
Top Bottom