• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10+ rounds capacity preban mags or is there a modern gun other than berretta, glock and sig that has preban mags?

10+ rounds capacity preban mags or is there a modern gun other than berretta, glock and sig that has preban mags?

There are non beretta/glock/sig pre 94' pistols that are high cap but they arent nearly as popular.

Preban mags cant exist for guns that didnt exist before the gun was made, though.

There are weird exceptions, like some modern rifles or braced pistols that cant take old Glock mags for example.

the S&W Sigma Series SW40VE & SW9VE preban mags should fit the newer SD40VE & SD9VE, they're pretty easy to identify as the preban mags held one extra round vs the newer standard capacity mags

USP's to I beleive.
Think it depends on the caliber and model (ex: full size 9mm yes, but not compact).

OP, start looking up pistols and see when they were introduced to the market. If it was before 1994, then there’s a chance. You also have the option of seeing if mags from gun x work in gun y. There are examples like Beretta 92 into Canik, but old ATF guidance said if you make any modifications to the magazine, it still needed to function in the original gun to not be considered remanufactured (and thus, no longer preban). Anyones guess if this would also be treated the same in MA.

a modern gun other than berretta, glock
i have the same opinion i was already criticized for, but, i still maintain it.

i do not want to carry a gun with more than 10 rounds in it to avoid a whole process of the complications if by any way i will get frisked and will have to start deliberations of why this 10+ mag is actually legal. i do not think for a split second that any massachusetts cop will care at all of where the word '9mm' is on the glock mag, what does it mean, etc. they will put a charge on you and will make it your problem to prove your innocence - while confiscating all you`ve got in the meanwhile. so my EDC holster has a pocket for a spare 10rd mag and 10rd mag sits in the P365 and it works fine - and i am quite sure having 20rds on me will suffice.

at home in my night stand i have a 17rd mag, as well as all other guns are set on legal hi cap mags. including ARs. in a very unlikely case IF i will ever need to protect my home/family with those weapons i would not really care no more of what legal compliance factor of that will it be. nor would that matter to the end result anyway, as police would confiscate everything anyway if you will dare to protect yourself and your family against the armed urban scum. it is the age of scum now, and they all know it too well.

i do not want to carry a gun with more than 10 rounds in it to avoid a whole process of the complications if by any way i will get frisked and will have to start deliberations of why this 10+ mag is actually legal. i do not think for a split second that any massachusetts cop will care at all of where the word '9mm' is on the glock mag, what does it mean, etc. they will put a charge on you and will make it your problem to prove your innocence - while confiscating all you`ve got in the meanwhile. so my EDC holster has a pocket for a spare 10rd mag and 10rd mag sits in the P365 and it works fine - and i am quite sure having 20rds on me will suffice.

at home in my night stand i have a 17rd mag, as well as all other guns are set on legal hi cap mags. including ARs. in a very unlikely case IF i will ever need to protect my home/family with those weapons i would not really care no more of what legal compliance factor of that will it be. nor would that matter to the end result anyway, as police would confiscate everything anyway if you will dare to protect yourself and your family against the armed urban scum. it is the age of scum now, and they all know it too well.
Also the question becomes, how reliable is a 30 year old mag vs a brand new 10 rounder? 17 rounds of ammo is great but doesn’t mean much if it doesn’t feed reliably. Something you want to range test before you rely on it.

Also the question becomes, how reliable is a 30 year old mag vs a brand new 10 rounder? 17 rounds of ammo is great but doesn’t mean much if it doesn’t feed reliably. Something you want to range test before you rely on it.

Wouldn't new springs (and possibly a follower plate) take care of that?

I think there are some old Ruger models that had pre-bans too, but I could be wrong.

I get where you're coming from but you shouldn't be afraid of doing something that's legal.

Change the springs and followers and you're good to go.

I recall like 5 years ago I paid $160. for two U notch preban Glock mags because I was new and inexperienced at this, and the thought of standard cap was enticing. Today, both those mags have deteriorated because of how brittle 30+ year old plastic can get. One split right down the witness holes and the other's baseplate lips ripped right off. Never again.

But mags with metal bodies will probably survive relatively unscathed outside of springs. Only problem is that most compatibility schemes require mag catch hole modification. Between that being a little bit of a fuzzy area and most mags having almost no true way to identify themselves as pre or post, I just don't even bother. Just carry the 10+1, and an extra mag if I'm feeling saucy.

I recall like 5 years ago I paid $160. for two U notch preban Glock mags because I was new and inexperienced at this, and the thought of standard cap was enticing. Today, both those mags have deteriorated because of how brittle 30+ year old plastic can get. One split right down the witness holes and the other's baseplate lips ripped right off. Never again.

But mags with metal bodies will probably survive relatively unscathed outside of springs. Only problem is that most compatibility schemes require mag catch hole modification. Between that being a little bit of a fuzzy area and most mags having almost no true way to identify themselves as pre or post, I just don't even bother. Just carry the 10+1, and an extra mag if I'm feeling saucy.

I always preferred a new 10 round mag as opposed to a used 25 year old standard cap mag.

I always preferred a new 10 round mag as opposed to a used 25 year old standard cap mag.

Same here. I do make exceptions for my MP5 clone and AR mags though. But I also feel it is a lot easier to fine top grade old stock out there for those platforms, and the added bonus is that one can find those date stamped.

a preban 17rd square notch one goes for a $300+ now, which makes it totally idiotic.

Funny thing is, I actually got some sh*t for buying at $80/pop back then, so this must make people's heads explode.

I actually have one relatively pristine G19 square notch that I got for $85. Maybe it's time to sell?!? Seems like a bull market for Glock prebans.

Funny thing is, I actually got some sh*t for buying at $80/pop back then, so this must make people's heads explode.

I actually have one relatively pristine G19 square notch that I got for $85. Maybe it's time to sell?!? Seems like a bull market for Glock prebans.
if you want to sell - the trick would be find anyone who would buy it at $300+ prices.
g19 and g17 square prebans have metal liners, so, they should be more or less immortal, not sure why to sell, it is useful to have them for home protection. 17rds is always better than 10.

if you want to sell - the trick would be find anyone who would buy it at $300+ prices.
g19 and g17 square prebans have metal liners, so, they should be more or less immortal, not sure why to sell, it is useful to have them for home protection. 17rds is always better than 10.
I had two U notches and two square. Both U notches failed as mentioned. One square notch also split by the witness holes, but the liner keeps it together. The other is still pristine on face value, but who knows how long it has. My concern is that even with a metal liner, the baseplate lips are still polymer.

Third gen smith semiautos like 5900, ruger p94, sig226, theres preban double stack 45s from RIA.

dont be a tard and run 30 year old mags in a carry gun tho

Yes, the fact that everything is getting confiscated if you dare defend yourself has motivated me to carry whatever I want. People in free states say things like “that’s rare I wouldn’t want it in a police evidence locker” but I know that all guns in Massachusetts have a higher than average chance of ending up there even if they were permanently in my safe. That’s what True Freedom is. So I have been known to carry weird foreign 70 year old mags in my weird foreign 70 year old carry gun, because why not?

This. I have a few preban 15 rounders for my CZs.
dont be a tard and run 30 year old mags in a carry gun tho
As kalash said, you can replace the internals. I'm using 30 year old preban CZ mags in my competition guns and they haven't let me down yet - thousands and thousands of rounds, dropping on concrete, sand, mud, snow, ice etc.

You just defended you and your families life and were forced to shoot a man who was trying to kill you.

You have bigger problems in Massachusetts than trying to explain that you square notch Glock 17 rounder is pre ban.

Do you really think you're going to win that argument at the crime scene while you are sitting in the back of a police car while your wife and kids have to take an Uber home?

You can litigate that from above ground later through your lawyer.

You should consider yourself lucky be even be alive.

Do you even have $50,000.00 in bail money to get out of jail?

Is you kids life worth less than a $275 pre ban Glock mag?

If you don't see the value of carrying 17 rounds - why bother carrying a gun at all?

You don't get to choose how many killers are going to outnumber you and your family. You can bet they will not be afraid to carry more then 10 rounds.

The most important rule of a gunfight is to survive.

You just defended you and your families life and were forced to shoot a man who was trying to kill you.

You have bigger problems in Massachusetts than trying to explain that you square notch Glock 17 rounder is pre ban.

Do you really think you're going to win that argument at the crime scene while you are sitting in the back of a police car while your wife and kids have to take an Uber home?

You can litigate that from above ground later through your lawyer.

You should consider yourself lucky be even be alive.

Do you even have $50,000.00 in bail money to get out of jail?

Is you kids life worth less than a $275 pre ban Glock mag?

If you don't see the value of carrying 17 rounds - why bother carrying a gun at all?

You don't get to choose how many killers are going to outnumber you and your family. You can bet they will not be afraid to carry more then 10 rounds.

The most important rule of a gunfight is to survive.
True. Your carry gun should have absolutely top notch reliability in all its parts. You see plenty of guys going for new Glocks just to stuff a cracked 30 year old U-Notch mag inside, sometimes with the original followers and springs... wtf are they thinking? New old stock square notch prebans in MA are an investment and are only climbing in price. Seen some for over $300-400 each. MA still has castle doctrine yes? If someone busted open your house door in the middle of the night and rolled up on your family while they're sleeping and you defend your family by shooting them inside your house, would judges and prosecution really still try to bury you? Open and shut case, chief.

True. Your carry gun should have absolutely top notch reliability in all its parts. You see plenty of guys going for new Glocks just to stuff a cracked 30 year old U-Notch mag inside, sometimes with the original followers and springs... wtf are they thinking? New old stock square notch prebans in MA are an investment and are only climbing in price. Seen some for over $300-400 each. MA still has castle doctrine yes? If someone busted open your house door in the middle of the night and rolled up on your family while they're sleeping and you defend your family by shooting them inside your house, would judges and prosecution really still try to bury you? Open and shut case, chief.
Yes.

Some prosecutors only care about wins.
Having a post ban mag is a 10 year felony and is a slam dunk case.

Read about Paul Langone. They ruined his life for over a year before he was finally cleared.

If you shoot somebody in your house - you're going to jail just like any other person in Massachusetts.

Unless you plead guilty your defense will cost 6 digits plus and you still will lose your gun rights as having a post ban mag is a felony gun crime.

Some prosecutors only care about wins.
Having a post ban mag is a 10 year felony and is a slam dunk case.

Read about Paul Langone. They ruined his life for over a year before he was finally cleared.

If you shoot somebody in your house - you're going to jail just like any other person in Massachusetts.

Unless you plead guilty your defense will cost 6 digits plus and you still will lose your gun rights as having a post ban mag is a felony gun crime.
So what do they do when you're involved in a defensive gun shoot in your own home? Do the cops come in and search every corner of your house, tear it all up looking for guns and 'high cap' mags? Dig up the entire yard too in case you buried them?

This is pure speculation. Can you cite some cases where an MA resident and legal gun owner was facing a threat of grave bodily injury or death inside their home, used deadly force, and went to jail?

Back
Top Bottom