• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10+ rounds capacity preban mags or is there a modern gun other than berretta, glock and sig that has preban mags?

I understand your angle for that, and i understand im speculating. But " the state or po-po" would most likely arrest/prosecute on the grounds that its over 10 rounds without any doubt in anyones mind. And theorectically(sp?) to prove it, all they would have to do is a metalurgy(sp?) test or some other scientific shit to prove its recent production.
6jtbsj.jpg

S&W 915 stopped production in 2006, but it was the last of the 59 series and could take the same mags all the way back to the original 59, 459, 659, 5906 and a number of other variants. So that's mags from 1971 till 2006.

I understand your angle for that, and i understand im speculating. But " the state or po-po" would most likely arrest/prosecute on the grounds that its over 10 rounds without any doubt in anyones mind. And theorectically(sp?) to prove it, all they would have to do is a metalurgy(sp?) test or some other scientific shit to prove its recent production.

As much as I hate to say it, mag blocks are just easier.
But with no clear definition if thats "accepted" in massachusetts and how it is affixed to the magazine(glue,pinned etc) you are essentially screwed either way.

I don't know of a metallurgical test they could to to definitively prove it was "post ban." You can use XRF (x-ray flouroscopy) to look at the alloy constituents, which can give you some info on what metal the mag body is made of, but those cost 50k (I bought one at my last company). The newer ones will tell you it's made out of "4140" or "1018" or some funky european grade, but that's it...and those material specs were around in 1994. Also, it's not like a nuclear plant, where material is traceable and must be within certain specs. The gun company buys "410 SS" and they don't ask questions. There could be variations of alloying elements lot to lot. The prosecutor would have to prove (somehow) that no magazine was EVER made, pre-1994, out of whatever material, which seems impossible (I guess if it's a PMAG or something, obviously it is post-ban). Maybe they can radio carbon date it or something, but I'm not sure what the fidelity on that is. Of course, you get to spend a couple thousand bucks on a lawyer and have your guns confiscated while this all works out.

Taurus G3C mags I have seen that are mass compliant (purchased from a dealer), have a 12 round body with a little 3D printed floorplate spacer that limits them to 10 rounds. So it would seem that--if the part is integral to the mag and it can't function without it--mag blocks are OK.

I said this to someone here in a private message, but here it is again:

"Preban mags cant exist for guns that didnt exist before the gun was made, though."
Wanna bet? The Ruger P95 uses P89 magazines, some of which are pretty large. The magazines existed long before the P95 came out.
The P95 is certainly not unpopular/rare/uncommon. It is also super reliable and close to a G19 in size. There are jillions of them out there. They are not going anywhere, and are inexpensive.
The magazines also fit the Ruger 9mm carbines.
You're welcome.
;-)

I said this to someone here in a private message, but here it is again:

"Preban mags cant exist for guns that didnt exist before the gun was made, though."
Wanna bet? The Ruger P95 uses P89 magazines, some of which are pretty large. The magazines existed long before the P95 came out.
The P95 is certainly not unpopular/rare/uncommon. It is also super reliable and close to a G19 in size. There are jillions of them out there. They are not going anywhere, and are inexpensive.
The magazines also fit the Ruger 9mm carbines.
You're welcome.
;-)
Same with glock.

A shitty 1992 u notch will work in a Gen5.

I have two S&W 659s. The OG mags (black follower) for them were 14 rounders, but a replacement follower (orange) makes them 15 rounders.

For what it's worth a Ruger P85 MK II would be a safe bet. The P85 was in production from 1987 until 1992. The pistol came with a standard 15 round magazine.
Since the gun went out of production 2 years before the ban on "high capacity" magazines there should be no question that the magazines are pre-ban and therefore legal to own.
Our club has several P85s and they are great guns.

This. I have a few preban 15 rounders for my CZs.

As kalash said, you can replace the internals. I'm using 30 year old preban CZ mags in my competition guns and they haven't let me down yet - thousands and thousands of rounds, dropping on concrete, sand, mud, snow, ice etc.

Yes, but your CZ mags are all metal.

I have a box of pre-ban glock mags, but I never carried them. I'd use them at the range only. Not because I was worried about legal issues, but more concerned with reliability. They never failed at the range, but even still, I only carried new 10rd mags. Maybe it's time to sell them.. heck I have some pre ban 92FS mags still and I traded away that gun a few years ago.

Yes, but your CZ mags are all metal.

I have a box of pre-ban glock mags, but I never carried them. I'd use them at the range only. Not because I was worried about legal issues, but more concerned with reliability. They never failed at the range, but even still, I only carried new 10rd mags. Maybe it's time to sell them.. heck I have some pre ban 92FS mags still and I traded away that gun a few years ago.
That's why I don't own any glocks....kiddin lol. I forgot about glocks and their metal lined polymer mags.

Back
Top Bottom