• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

100 Years Ago Today

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
The United States Entered World War One.

April 6, 1917
The United States declares war on Germany

The day after an overwhelming majority in the Senate votes for war, President Wilson signs the declaration. The United States quickly puts the entire country on the road to war. Going from a standing army of 133,000 men with almost no heavy artillery pieces, millions of men were inducted into the armed forces over the next two years and given basic combat training.

https://www.theworldwar.org/explore/interactive-wwi-timeline

https://apnews.com/30a72782ab0849b2...WWI-innovations-still-with-us-a-century-later

Praise God for the time of relative peace that we have today. Let us not take it for granted.

The mass national guards 26th infantry division was formed soon after on July 18 There will be some events commemorating that later this year.

If anyone is into podcasts and want an amazing history of ww1 check out Dan Carlin's blueprint for Armageddon. Gives a stellar history from politics that lead to the war right through to armastice day.

Last edited:
[halfmast] Melrose put on a small, yet nice, gathering for Vets at Memorial Hall this past weekend. The crowd is getting smaller even with extended family invited.

Just finished 2nd of 3 in the set of "The Last Lion", Winston Spencer Churchill. Truly remarkable times.

I don't disrespect the men and women that went over to fight WWI-pretty intense stuff. But us adding troops to the war when both sides were near exhaustion meant the allies took a total dump on Germany which led to the rise of hitler. Fast forward 100 years and Europe still after a bunch of wars still can't get its head out of its butt.

Anyone here grow up with any WWI vets? I've been trying to think. My grandfather might have been a WWI vet, but I'm honestly not sure. He was born in 1900, so that puts him in the right age range. I only remember seeing him a few times when I was a kid and he passed away in 82, long before I would have been old enough to ask about it. There were a lot of very brave young men who died for what they believed in on both sides. The world has never been the same since.

I don't disrespect the men and women that went over to fight WWI-pretty intense stuff. But us adding troops to the war when both sides were near exhaustion meant the allies took a total dump on Germany which led to the rise of hitler. Fast forward 100 years and Europe still after a bunch of wars still can't get its head out of its butt.

Germany deserved to get dumped on during the combat. It's called maximization of effort. The political actions and sanctions AFTER the armastice was the dumping on that lead to Hitler rise to power.....Not the combat. Big difference.

Anyone here grow up with any WWI vets? I've been trying to think. My grandfather might have been a WWI vet, but I'm honestly not sure. He was born in 1900, so that puts him in the right age range. I only remember seeing him a few times when I was a kid and he passed away in 82, long before I would have been old enough to ask about it. There were a lot of very brave young men who died for what they believed in on both sides. The world has never been the same since.
My Grandfather fought in W1. He was gassed in the trenches. For the rest of his life he had a cough that would never go away.

Last edited:
when i was a young boy, all the old timers were world war 1 vets. i remember my neighbor, ray clancy i believe his name was, gave me a ww1 german wound badge and some weird pistol he brought home. i was six maybe. my mom let me keep the pistol. i use to bring it out and play with it when me and my friends played army. true story, no one cringed when i toted it around the neighbor hood. i lost it in a brook that ran behind our house. ray passed away in 1968.

the landlord of my moms childhood home was jewish and a german vet of ww1. he lost his leg in combat. his name was, or rather we called him izzy, that had to be short for something. nice guy, came to this country in the mid '20s, loved kids, and would rap on his wooden leg with his cane to entertain us rug rats. he passed in 1970 or 71.

don't know anything about their service in ww1, where they were stationed or the actions they took part in. just didn't care at the time to ask. shame on me, an opportunity squandered.

My father served in WW1, was shot in the dimple by a sniper in Verdun, France, and left for dead. Were it not for a group of Australians, he would no doubt have died. He recuperated in a British hospital where a surgeon performed plastic surgery (who'd have thought?). He died in 1977 at the age of 81 (born 1896). He had a good and productive life although he often showed signs of PTSD which was then considered 'shell shock'. Back in the day it wasn't something you spoke of.....much like the horror of trench warfare which, on very rare occasions, he would lament as to how stupid 'going over the top' was. He was a great man and a great father.

I crossed off one of my top priority bucket list items by visiting France last year. There are still visible signs that WW1 happened 100+ years ago.

The real dumping was from the treaty of Versaille, anyone thinking straight at the time would have let Germany off the hook shortly, in an effort to stabilize Europe. That's the short version, but England's fear of a Russian alliance was probably the single reason Hitler actually fought. France could have crushed him easily had they not all waited.

- - - Updated - - -

Germany deserved to get dumped on during the combat. It's called maximization of effort. The political actions and sanctions AFTER the armastice was the dumping on that lead to Hitler rise to power.....Not the combat. Big difference.

qft

I guess I'll have to pour three fingers and watch the (I don't care what you say, it's totally non-fiction) Inglourious Basterds again tonight.
b210e9289f9b970789717b178abbb482.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My grandfather served for four (4) years in the British army in the trenches in France. He was a member of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's). They fought in kilts and I don't know how my grandfather survived the war alive. He was wounded many times, reported missing and presumed dead a couple of times and carried the scars and shrapnel of battle with him until the day he died.

He told me many stories of his time in France and the horrific "meat grinder" that was the Great War.

RIP Samson Marshall 1896-1980.

The real dumping was from the treaty of Versaille, anyone thinking straight at the time would have let Germany off the hook shortly, in an effort to stabilize Europe. That's the short version, but England's fear of a Russian alliance was probably the single reason Hitler actually fought. France could have crushed him easily had they not all waited.

- - - Updated - - -

qft

Sorry what does "qtf" mean?

The American fighting Soldier, Sailor, Marine and Airman come from a long lineage, and stand tall on the shoulders of those who came before them.
God Bless and thanks to those we lost in the War to End All War, and an equal share to those who lost limb and health.

My Grandfather left home at 16 to get away from an abusive step-mother. He lied and joined to Army. Ended up being stationed at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio patrolling the boarder in case of invasion from Mexico. Although Pancho Villa never did anything, I guess invasion from Mexico was a real possibility.

If anyone has any historical references about our tensions with Mexico during WWI, I would love to read more about this subject.

Last edited:
I had a next door neighbor who was like a Grandfather to me.He was in WWI,and left me a few things one of which was a copy of his discharge papers signed by LT. COL. Dwight D Eisenhower.

I bet the French felt that way when the Germans rolled in 30 years later. It was a European war we should of stayed out of. It solved nothing and led to an even deadlier war. Should of let both sides bleed each other white and then sit down and negotiate-not ram a harsh treaty down the others throat because you now had all that manpower to draw on. The Brits and French even shat on their own allies the Japanese and the Italians. Point of all this Europe should be left alone to figure it out. Even now they are encouraging the demise of their civilization through massive middle eastern immigration. Leave America out of their stupidity.

My grandfather fought in WW1. Passed away in 1975. Was an Italian immigrant that fought for his new country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My grandfather and his brother came from Italy and did the same.
Mauro Palmieri, KIA/MIA France WWI.

Back
Top Bottom