1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

102 million Americans of working age have no job

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Varmint, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

The official unemployment rate of 3.8% doesn't count the 96 million working age Americans who aren't looking for a job, either cause they gave up, don't need a job, or cause welfare is too good a gig to give up.

fredgraph.png

Win likes this.

2. xtry51

xtry51

I literally cannot find people to hire for $20-35/hr work. It's insane.

evalance, Tundra02 and Yazz like this.
  3. Boris

Boris Son of Kalashnikov NES Member

I wander who they vote for?
    [​IMG]

Frizzle Fry and Yazz like this.
  4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

That doesn’t compute. That’s 1/3 of the population. 52 million are on welfare, but that includes kids and you can still have a job and get it.

FRED says the # of working age adults (15-64) is 206M. And working adults is 160M. You can’t always compare these charts.

Mesatchornug likes this.
  5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

It especially doesn’t compute 1980-1999. It should be going down at that time as millions of non-working women entered the workforce.

6. enbloc

enbloc NES Member

In Real Estate News:

45% of Millennials still live in their Parents Basement...

a73elkyss and Frizzle Fry like this.
  7. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    What's the job and requirements?

BigTimber and Frizzle Fry like this.
  8. H-minus

H-minus NES Member

Dont forget the disability gravy train. I have patients that havent worked for years because of their "ailments". These are able bodied men and women in their 30s and 40s who are physically capable of working. They just choose not to because theyre content with their monthly 100% disability check.

9. LittleCalm

LittleCalm NES Member

agree. can't be right.

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  10. Yazz

Yazz NES Member

Plumber, Electrician, Mechanic.......
    Requirements? Need to speak English, have a drivers license, be a citizen of the U.S. and not be a felon. Oh and willing to work. Hence the 96 million not working.

TLB, Palladin and Fixxah like this.
  11. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Is this FSEs? I think it's a pretty strong job market for us, I get flooded with FSE job postings.

12. Arto

Arto NES Member

also, nobody in HR wants to hire age 50+ people (even though they would alway show up to work every day) whilst the hotshot youngsters were all "working from home" :(

Tross, DrBurnsides, BigTimber and 2 others like this.
  13. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I dont think that takes into account:
    1. People 16-17 still in HS.
    2. People enrolled in a 4 year school.
    3. People retired.

If you add all those in there, the number will probably be under 50 million.

You might also want to subtract stay at home parents, since it is their choice (I hope).

14. xtry51

xtry51

Yes

15. xtry51

xtry51

FSE. Mechanical and electrical aptitude. No degrees required. Know how to use a caliper and multimeter, read a print, be a US citizen and have a drivers license. 80-100% travel with overnights most days. Plan on leaving your house Monday morning and not being home until Friday.

16. Boris

1. I worked in HS
    2. I worked 3 jobs while going full time to 4 year school
    3. I'll probably work at retirement

stay at home parents? What planet is this? I need to get onto this gravy train. Where do I learn how to mooch and steal?

Yazz and xtry51 like this.
  17. TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak NES Member

My mom was, for the most part, a stay at home parent, until we all had hit high school. No daycares or babysitters for us when we were young.

So happy she did, kind of feel bad for mothers that want to actually raise their kids like this but can't afford to do so anymore because they have to work.

Like many people, she also worked while in school, worked multiple jobs, etc before having kids and after we became adolescents. You're not the only one lol

18. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

The 5 days out thing is the killer for you.

Heathen likes this.
  19. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

Maybe they are counting dreamers (illegals) on the way in?

20. fencer

fencer NES Member

My wife and I made the conscious decision for her to basically stay home when our youngest two kids were born. She is a nurse and worked just enough to keep her per Diem position. It was a sacrifice that we agreed was worth it to us. We were very fortunate with our oldest daughter that my wife's parents bought a house in town and insisted on watching our daughter when necessary.
    All three kids were National Honor Society members and never got in any real trouble, participated in sports and school activities as well as being active in our church. Our kids never came home to an empty house.
    She did this for 10 years and we figure the true cost to us was at least 500k. It was a tough decision, and we are fortunate that I have done pretty well, but we surely gave up lots of luxuries, like the boat and vacation home. We trade all that for home cooked dinners at the table every night, homework help and good grades, an immaculate house, and real conversations with our kids. We would not change a thing. No mooching or stealing was necessary.

watchman, Tross, Brewer and 5 others like this.
  21. SpencerT

SpencerT

I can't find people 18-35yrs old with no experience to show up for a $16-25 per hour labor position, I don't even look anymore honestly with the amount of cold calls from people and not showing up for scheduled interviews I have more pressing crap to take care of.

When my wife and I got married and bought our house we decided that she would stay home with the kids, with the cost of child care she would be working to pay someone to raise them.

I don't think it's unfeasible for a lot of people to do it too honestly. At the time I was making around $50k a year. We bought a small house >$100k that needed a rehab and pay less then $1000 a month in mortgage. We have one used car on a car loan and don't go out to eat more than once a month don't vacation outside New England and even then it's camping and we don't spend on frivolous sh^*. Would it be nice to have more $ for toys? (Motorcycles, guns ammo, vacations to beaches) yea it would lol but I wouldn't change it.

It was a savings that we didn't go to collage so no student debts to contend with but if you are prepeared to live within your means and adjust your living style it's worth it. We were 20 & 21 at the time so it's not like we had massive cash reserves stored up from working previously.

22. Broccoli Iglesias

I get it, a lot of HS and college kids work part time. But a lot dont. You cant just throw everyone in that number.

A 100 million unemployed doesn't make any sense.

23. jkelly1229

jkelly1229

What field are you in?

24. Boris

probably the field that does work. Basically some "job seeker" calls, figures out that it's a real job, compares options of not working, going on disability or 10000 other ways where you don't really need to stress much and get money. Why work? Even idiots can figure this shit out. Go around town on a weekday during business hours, or hit the beach. Plenty of people chilling, not all of them work hospital jobs.

25. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

The working adults figure says 16 and up, maybe it's 16-100? Not sure, but the main point is the trend of the chart - which belies the story that the job market is strong.

Clearly the high-tech job market is strong, and probably others like medical, government etc. But the low-middle income job market is very weak. And the unemployment rate is low partly cause so many elderly are being forced back to work.

26. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I think the salary for that should be $30-45/hr, not $20-35, plus things like car or mileage allowance, that's part of the problem. I wouldn't do that kind of travel for less than $45/hr.

my company pays FSEs well over $35/hr and travel is like 25-30%.

Newtron likes this.
  27. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

It doesn't matter, the trend is what's important - why is the number skyrocketing?

28. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

We should worry about those who have a job but remain on the public assistance roll. Those are very easy to find but once they will be discovered and cut off from a public support they may not vote for liberals anymore. So, we have decided not to disturb them and let them game the system and build a nice down payment for that small restaurant in one of those $hthole republicas.

In addition to those, we also have plenty of "never-worked-white-trash crowd" which is being catered and supported despite their criminal activities. Mother is selling drugs, daughter is cooking them and 70 years old gentleman arrives every day with Meals On Wheels. I have asked him once, if he feels he is doing a good community service and he has answered to me that hopefully they will realize one day that crime does not pay and they will start working on their own. Why would they work, though? Daughter just purchased a brand new BMW and mother returned from vacation in Italy! Their buying power must be helping our economy because Fedex, UPS and USP stop their trucks right in front of their door almost daily.

I would like to know when this cannibal fake compassion will end. When are we planning to reward those who actually work instead of keep giving to those who refuse to help themselves?

The best insurance in the world is MASSHEALTH, for example. Did you check it out lately? You did not, because you think your butt needs to be at work so you can have an insurance with a co-pay. You also do not care that your human resources playing with insurances and suck the money away from you faster than you can get a raise. You are a working nut, you have no time to think! Slow down and look around! That meth mouth will be repaired using your money! That filling you have just paid $150 co-pay for is free for MASSHEALTH recipient. How come your premium and your co-pay keeps climbing up? Are you going to doctors? No! Millions of others do, though! They have no co-pay and no premiums and no jobs in times when companies can't hire any help they need.

America gave up on logic and it is going to be Venezuela one day. Fake compassion and absolute ignorance are poisons powerful enough to destroy any society.

Keep working!

And if you live in MA you are living in the illusion built by decades of catering to freeloaders and criminals. Fake Republican, fake compassion, fake everything...

Baker: Massachusetts won't impose Medicaid work requirement

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    quincy likes this.
  29. Broccoli Iglesias

205 million people in the 70s.
    325 million today.

That is a 120 million difference. That is a 58% increase.

Around 60 million unemployed (per your graph) in the 70s. If that increase by around 58% we get roughly 94 million.

So, assuming everything increases proportionally, there is your answer.

There are a lot of assumptions here, but I guess it doesnt matter since everyone seems to think we can take people that voluntarily retired and put them as unemployed.

10thSFFD likes this.
  30. PennyPincher

PennyPincher

I used to get all kinds of "applicants" when I posted jobs. I think it was just so they could fulfill their "requirement to apply" for jobs to collect unemployment.