• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10mm Hog Hunt

Greetings,

I’m going hog hunting this weekend and I am using my SR1911 10mm. I have harvested many animals especially hogs when I was down south, but never with a handgun. I have many different 10mm rounds and I have narrowed it down to Buffalo bore 220 grain hard casts and federal fusion 200 grain bonded soft points, both advertised at 1200 fps if I remember correctly. I was thinking soft point in chamber for first well placed shot followed by hard casts. Any opinions on which of these 2 rounds to use exclusively or interchangeably?

Greetings,

I’m going hog hunting this weekend and I am using my SR1911 10mm. I have harvested many animals especially hogs when I was down south, but never with a handgun. I have many different 10mm rounds and I have narrowed it down to Buffalo bore 220 grain hard casts and federal fusion 200 grain bonded soft points, both advertised at 1200 fps if I remember correctly. I was thinking soft point in chamber for first well placed shot followed by hard casts. Any opinions on which of these 2 rounds to use exclusively or interchangeably?
Hard cast would be my choice for large hogs. Small 100# hogs the shield isn't as thick.....any good solid 10mm bonded SP on the hot end would probably be OK.

I like the idea of the SP for the first round with relatively controlled shot in the lung heart area, then if things go to shit, hard cast.

Not that I need to say this...but no jams and feed reliably is super important.

Hard cast would be my choice for large hogs. Small 100# hogs the shield isn't as thick.....any good solid 10mm bonded SP on the hot end would probably be OK.

I like the idea of the SP for the first round with relatively controlled shot in the lung heart area, then if things go to shit, hard cast.

Not that I need to say this...but no jams and feed reliably is super important.
Yeah, I tested with many rounds including these two, feeds everything so far no issues. Very accurate and reliable weapon.

Back
Top Bottom