12-year-old boy violently assaults Southbridge man with baseball bat

Un-friggin-believable!

SOUTHBRIDGE, Mass.
- A Southbridge man was violently attacked by a 12-year-old boy with a baseball bat over the weekend, leaving the father of two with graphic injuries.

On Sunday night, Gary Anctil complained to a neighbor that her children had been defacing a local church with graffiti, thinking that bringing it to the mother's attention would get them to stop.

However, to Anctil's surprise, one of the kids, a 12-year-old boy, came after him with a baseball bat, beating him on the head.

Due to the recently signed criminal reform bill this past spring, Anctil's assailant wasn't arrested.

One of the provisions in the bill, signed by Governor Charlie Baker, raised the age of criminal responsibility from seven to 12.

"Twelve years old you can do this to a person and nothing can happen," said Anctil.

An adult convicted of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon could face a couple of years in prison, yet a juvenile may not risk getting that kind of sentence.

Anctil said the boy also attacked him when he least suspected, swinging at his head.

"He was on the top step and he said, 'Hey,'" said Anctil. "I turned around and that's when he swung in and caught me in the head.

Anctil says that what astonishes him the most is the fact that the boy wasn't arrested.

"You guys didn't arrest him?" said Anctil. "Well, no, a new law that passed [states that if you're] 12 years old and under nothing's going to happen to him, he'll get a slap on the hand, I'm like, 'Are you kidding?'"

In keeping with juvenile offender law, Southbridge Police issued a summons for the boy to appear in court on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, a felony. According to the law, the boy is being held responsible but was not arrested.

Anctil says his gash required dozens of stitches to close and adds he's having the symptoms of a concussion.

Sounds like a great idea. Let him go home with his parents so he can finish the job he started, either that or bash someone else's head open. This kid is a murder just waiting to happen. Sadly, once this little ass**** kills someone everybody will be shaking their heads saying, how could something like this happen, we never saw that coming.

Un-friggin-believable!

SOUTHBRIDGE, Mass.
- A Southbridge man was violently attacked by a 12-year-old boy with a baseball bat over the weekend, leaving the father of two with graphic injuries.

On Sunday night, Gary Anctil complained to a neighbor that her children had been defacing a local church with graffiti, thinking that bringing it to the mother's attention would get them to stop.

However, to Anctil's surprise, one of the kids, a 12-year-old boy, came after him with a baseball bat, beating him on the head.

Due to the recently signed criminal reform bill this past spring, Anctil's assailant wasn't arrested.

One of the provisions in the bill, signed by Governor Charlie Baker, raised the age of criminal responsibility from seven to 12.

"Twelve years old you can do this to a person and nothing can happen," said Anctil.

An adult convicted of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon could face a couple of years in prison, yet a juvenile may not risk getting that kind of sentence.

Anctil said the boy also attacked him when he least suspected, swinging at his head.

"He was on the top step and he said, 'Hey,'" said Anctil. "I turned around and that's when he swung in and caught me in the head.

Anctil says that what astonishes him the most is the fact that the boy wasn't arrested.

"You guys didn't arrest him?" said Anctil. "Well, no, a new law that passed [states that if you're] 12 years old and under nothing's going to happen to him, he'll get a slap on the hand, I'm like, 'Are you kidding?'"

In keeping with juvenile offender law, Southbridge Police issued a summons for the boy to appear in court on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, a felony. According to the law, the boy is being held responsible but was not arrested.

Anctil says his gash required dozens of stitches to close and adds he's having the symptoms of a concussion.

Chances are the yute will lose it next year, too, and will get nabbed then.

Yeah. First day of school, our town police chief came in and told us about this law. None of us had heard. He seemed really pissed that he could no longer arrest kids who do horrible things at school.

He wasn’t the only one.

Yeah. First day of school, our town police chief came in and told us about this law. None of us had heard. He seemed really pissed that he could no longer arrest kids who do horrible things at school.

He wasn’t the only one.

I wrote to Will Brownsberger, chair of the MA Joint Committee on Public Safety & Homeland Security about this today. I don't live in his district, and he recently changed his blog policy to only publish comments from his constituents but he wrote back to me anyway. (I think it was probably a staffer first, and then him in a follow up message). His position is there is a lot of confusion out there and this kid could have been arrested under both the old and new laws, and that clarifying the situation is a high priority when the legislature resumes.

The cynic in me finds it suspicious that the people who have to investigate the crimes and present the evidence to the DAs - and appear in court - seem to have such a different understanding of what the law requires than the legislators do. For all the pats the legislature gave themselves in the bac, the final product seems like a case of ,we will have to pass it to find out what it says,

I guess the alternative is a vast, statewide conspiracy between all the different municipal police departments to make the legislature look bad. Could happen I guess.

Edit, took out the first partial sentence that was a carryover from an earlier draft

Last edited:
Guys, guys, I emailed Senator Brownsberger through his website and got a response. It's okay, he says "there's a lot of misinformation out t

I wrote to Will Brownsberger, chair of the MA Joint Committee on Public Safety & Homeland Security about this today. I don't live in his district, and he recently changed his blog policy to only publish comments from his constituents but he wrote back to me anyway. (I think it was probably a staffer first, and then him in a follow up message). His position is there is a lot of confusion out there and this kid could have been arrested under both the old and new laws, and that clarifying the situation is a high priority when the legislature resumes.

The cynic in me finds it suspicious that the people who have to investigate the crimes and present the evidence to the DAs - and appear in court - seem to have such a different understanding of what the law requires than the legislators do. For all the pats the legislature gave themselves in the bac, the final product seems like a case of ,we will have to pass it to find out what it says,

I guess the alternative is a vast, statewide conspiracy between all the different municipal police departments to make the legislature look bad. Could happen I guess.

Could be. I’m guessing it’s simply an awful law, and that nobody will claim it once one of these 8-year-olds kills somebody.

The CoP who told us this is admittedly kind of an idiot, but he’s not usually a liar. His claim was that CoPs statewide were against this law, on the grounds that it removed a tool from their kit.

He felt the best response when a kid was being violent at school was for the principal to suspend them effective immediately, but that’s meaningless if the parent can’t come get them.

This sets a bad example.

Kids will be commenting more crimes now they know they can't get in trouble.

What is it with good Catholic alter boys who did not do anything and graffiti?

Why does this one group always do this?

Edit, took out the first partial sentence that was a carryover from an earlier draft

These shitbag legislators don't actually read what they vote on and never have; that's what they have minions for. The minions read the shit and then tell the legislators which way they should vote, or the people who bought and paid for the legislators read it and tell them. Either way, they never know what their own laws say.

I suspect the cops know more about the content of the laws that get passed, and we all here know exactly how well versed in the law your typical cop in Massachusetts can be. [rolleyes]

Sounds like a great idea. Let him go home with his parents so he can finish the job he started, either that or bash someone else's head open. This kid is a murder just waiting to happen. Sadly, once this little ass**** kills someone everybody will be shaking their heads saying, how could something like this happen, we never saw that coming.

Ah yes. The cry of absentee parents. "We did our BEST! How could this happen?" No. You didn't do your best. You did your least.

(Sadly, I know a PILE of parents like this. Especially in churches. It's a good place to stay the same and not be held accountable despite the premise of Christianity in the first place. LOL)

A Southbridge man was violently attacked by a 12-year-old boy with a baseball bat over the weekend, leaving the father of two with graphic injuries.
This Will Turn Out Well Dept.​
The court finds the defendant guilty,
and sentences him to Bonk Bonk on the Head.
Onlies.jpg

Hmmm. So if some d-bags Rottie comes at me and injures me, the owner is responsible. But a 12yo isn't an adult. Basically "owned" by the parent. Chattel, if you will. When are they gonna arrest Mommah? Put her fat ass in jail. Drop the kids off at Social Services.

or in the Atlantic.

These shitbag legislators don't actually read what they vote on and never have; that's what they have minions for. The minions read the shit and then tell the legislators which way they should vote, or the people who bought and paid for the legislators read it and tell them. Either way, they never know what their own laws say.

Neither the legislators nor their aides have the intellectual capacity to be trusted writing laws, yet they do. I know a few, and have seen plenty in action, and in almost all cases they are far from being the best or the brightest. Political ambition is a pretty shitty qualification.

Neither the legislators nor their aides have the intellectual capacity to be trusted writing laws, yet they do. I know a few, and have seen plenty in action, and in almost all cases they are far from being the best or the brightest. Political ambition is a pretty shitty qualification.

Political ambition is not a qualification, it is a psychotic mental illness, right up there with narcissistic personality disorder( both usually exist concurrently in politicians) and it is also the worst thing for any free man to be the victim of...thats why anyone who displays it either overtly or covertly should fought against tooth and nail at every opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom