• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

12G reloading classes?

I recently purchased a Lee precision II shotshell reloading press for 12G. I am just starting out in reloading and was wondering if there was any place in the Foxborough area to take a class on reloading. I want to focus on 12G slug reloading and eventually get into 9mm as well. I would appreciate any suggestions.

@EddieCoyle runs classes frequently, worth the travel

not sure I've seen any specific to slug reloading, but his classes will get you rolling your own, safely

I picked up a used MEC JR.. 12ga. Guy gave me a shit ton of shells, wads, and about 10-20 lbs of #9 shot. All I needed was powder and primers. 5 step process... move from one stage to the next.. Use the correct bushing for the recipe. And I think steel shot is different than lead and uses different recipes and equipment.

I think shot shell reloading is easier than pistol/rifle.. just make sure you use a proven "recipe". I would start with shot.. probably less finicky than slugs.. I haven't seen slugs in stores either.. heck, I haven't even seen buckshot in stores. I'm no pro.. beginner reloader.

I doubt Bass Pro has classes. Never seen a reloading class there. Call some clubs, esp those with big clay shooting.. Independent in Foxboro.. Might be some folks there willing to teach.

I picked up a used MEC JR.. 12ga. Guy gave me a shit ton of shells, wads, and about 10-20 lbs of #9 shot. All I needed was powder and primers. 5 step process... move from one stage to the next.. Use the correct bushing for the recipe. And I think steel shot is different than lead and uses different recipes and equipment.

I think shot shell reloading is easier than pistol/rifle.. just make sure you use a proven "recipe". I would start with shot.. probably less finicky than slugs.. I haven't seen slugs in stores either.. heck, I haven't even seen buckshot in stores. I'm no pro.. beginner reloader.

I doubt Bass Pro has classes. Never seen a reloading class there. Call some clubs, esp those with big clay shooting.. Independent in Foxboro.. Might be some folks there willing to teach.
I just called B.P they do not. Plus it would probably be more generic then specific. Independent is a good idea. tks

EMTDAD is100% correct - shot shell reloading is 100% based on published recipes - same powder, wad, shot/slug, etc…. He is also correct, may find someone at one of the clubs who can show you the ropes. Any NRA shot shell instructor is required to teach the "book", so the class will be very generic.

The only NRA shot shell reloading class presently listed on the NRA website is in November 2023 in Leesburg, VA

Last edited:
Are u a member of a club ? If so, inquire about shotshell reloading at the skeet/trap field on a Sunday morning.
Not right now. I have been a member of several over the years. The one's near me are either full or want a joining fee on top of the yearly dues and you have to join the NRA, which is more than I can swing right now. I shoot at a buddy's in Plymouth once and a while now. I know I will have to take the hit at some point though.

EMTDAD is100% correct - shot shell reloading is 100% based on published recipes - same powder, wad, shot/slug, etc…. He is also correct, may find someone at one of the clubs who can show you the ropes. Any NRA shot shell instructor is required to teach the "book", so the class will be very generic.

The only NRA shot shell reloading class presently listed on the NRA website is in November 2023 in Leesburg, VA
I am trying to figure out my preferred recipe now so i don't buy stuff I won't use. That's why I have posted my intentions for the reloading

I am trying to figure out my preferred recipe now so i don't buy stuff I won't use. That's why I have posted my intentions for the reloading
You will likely need to find (online/buy/borrow) one of the many shot shell reloading manuals to do your research. Since you intend on reloading slugs, that will be the driver to all the other components. As an example, here is a link to a slug reloading manual - https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Download-Slug-Loading-Manual-8th-edition/productinfo/XMSLUG/. This not a recommendation, just an example.

FYI - on reloading 9mm, depending on how you value your time is almost break even to buying factory loads as prices are coming down. Of course there are as many reasons to reload as there are people. Everyone has their own reasons. I do it because I like to. Don't save money, just shoot more.

Last edited:
As mentioned EddieCoyles class is a great starting point. You can learn about reloading 9mm and use that info to get into shotshell and rifle.

One of the better shotshell reloading vendors with all sorts of publications

I will tell you reloading slugs unless your casting tour own slugs is generally not going to save you any money. Heck even shotshell reloading is not great if you need to buy lead shot.
Only advantage to reloading your own shotshell is loading something not readily available.

Back
Top Bottom