• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

146.625...digital mode?

I live here in North Central MA and was adding repeaters around me.

The New England Repeater Directory lists Orange as being at 146.625. So, I figured I'd add it to see if I could hit it.

Through my call sign out and didn't get anything back, but the machine did return the courtesy beep, so I left it on my radio. Tuning around from time to time, I hear digital tones on it. Can't figure out which protocol it is.

The directory doesn't show any digital modes supported like DMR or D-Star.

Anyone have any ideas?

You're probably hearing the DMR repeater in Cumberland RI on 146.625.

This is something I encountered when I loaded up my radio with repeaters from up here and down in SE MA for when I go to my fathers place. When I hit scan I was getting all sorts of noise across what would be plain old repeaters down there, were some form of digital repeaters in SE ME.

Makes me wish the FT-90 in my Jeep had the bank function my FT-60 has, that way I could just scan a few repeaters at a time.

I can't tell by the listings, but it's possible that the Orange repeater is transmitting 110.9 tone on its output frequency. If it is, you can turn on your CTCSS on both transmit and receive, and mute out the undesired digital repeater.

You can try it by turning on your receive CTCSS and see if you still hear the Orange repeater.

Unless that RI repeater has a HUGE range, i doubt I'm picking him up. I am abut 10 miles south of the NH border.

Maidenhead location FN42EN

ETA: Just took a look at the QRZ app on my phone...here at work it says I'm 41 miles from W1DMR...so...that isn't that big of a jump after all. Anyone know how high up that repeater is? And if it is DMR...I'll just dump it...I've got an Icom and a Kenwood and don't feel like running a DVAP to get access to it.

Last edited:
Unless that RI repeater has a HUGE range, i doubt I'm picking him up. I am abut 10 miles south of the NH border.

Maidenhead location FN42EN

ETA: Just took a look at the QRZ app on my phone...here at work it says I'm 41 miles from W1DMR...so...that isn't that big of a jump after all. Anyone know how high up that repeater is? And if it is DMR...I'll just dump it...I've got an Icom and a Kenwood and don't feel like running a DVAP to get access to it.

That Cumberland DMR repeater is on a 500 foot hill with an antenna at the top of a 200 foot tower. It carries into southern NH.

Back
Top Bottom