• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

16 year old carry on private property?

Possession of a handgun by anyone (anywhere) w/o a LTC (min age is 21) is illegal in MA UNLESS they are under direct supervision of a LTC-holder.

Where on that page does it say that? Im not seeing it. Your son can get an FID which allows him to openly carry long guns on your property if he so chooses.

Federal law imposes the following restrictions aimed at younger persons:

A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer. (GCA, 1968)

A person under age 18 may not possess a handgun or handgun ammunition, and it is illegal for a person to provide a handgun or handgun ammunition to a person under age 18, except for target shooting, hunting, or certain other exempted purposes. (Youth Handgun Safety Act, 1994)

It is a federal felony to provide false information (such as lying about one`s age) to a firearm dealer, to deceive the dealer into selling a firearm to a person not entitled to make the purchase. (GCA, 1968)

Regardless of age it is illegal to possess a firearm on or within 1,000 feet of school property, with limited exceptions. (Gun-Free School Zones Act, 1996)
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=43

Read thru and there's the listing of individual states. Georgia's ignorant because it has a law that replicates the GCA of 1968:
Georgia - It is unlawful for any person to sell or furnish a handgun to a person under 21 years of age.

...and on and on it goes

Although a better source would be here
B. Prohibiting Certain Transfers and Possession
The GCA made it unlawful for certain persons to receive firearms, and made it a felony for an FFL to transfer a firearm knowing, or having reasonable cause to believe, that the transferee is prohibited from receiving the firearm. Subsequent amendments made it unlawful for any person to knowingly transfer a firearm to a prohibited person, and made it unlawful for the following categories of prohibited persons to possess a firearm:
Felons;
Fugitives;
Drug addicts or unlawful drug users;
Persons committed to mental institutions or adjudicated as "mentally defective";
Persons dishonorably discharged from the armed forces;
Persons who have renounced their United States citizenship;
Illegal or nonimmigrant aliens;
Persons subject to certain domestic violence restraining orders; and
Persons convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence.
The GCA also prohibits anyone under a felony indictment from receiving or transporting a firearm. In addition, with certain limited exceptions, juveniles under 18 years of age may not possess handguns. Finally, the GCA makes it unlawful for an FFL to transfer a handgun to anyone under the age of 21, or a long gun to anyone under the age of 18. Young people between the ages of 18 and 21 may still buy handguns from non-licensed sellers in the secondary market, and there are no age restrictions on the transfer of rifles and shotguns by non-licensed sellers.

So, just buy from non-licensed sellers and you're fine [thumbsup]

so someone who is 18+ in NH can legally open carry a pistol...? (sorry to derail thread, but been trying to find definitive answer to this and it's kind of related [wink])

We need more details as to what we're talking about here.

"open carry" of what? - a long gun or a handgun?

"Private Property" - your own place, or what? And do you mean on the front porch, with the neighbors walking by, or on the back 40 for some plinking?

Is said minor "supervised" or wandering about, freely?

These details matter.....

Its so refreshing to know that you and your children will be placed into cages and lose everything for exercising a Constitutional right

Anyone care to offer an opinion? My son showed me a link that could be interpreted that open carry on private property by a 16 year old is legal. I say state law precludes it, but I personally would/do not prohibit it myself.

PD websites are probably the worst place to get legal info from in Mass. As an example, their site doesn't make the connection that just because you're able to get an FID doesn't mean you can, they hint around at the Fed DQ but don't address it. Especially in regards to what you're talking about with handguns:

Applicants for a Firearms Identification Card (FID) must be at least 18 years old. A person between the ages of 15 and 18 may apply for an FID card with parental permission

then

TYPE “C” FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD (FID)

Type C Firearm Identification FID card allows the holder to carry non-large capacity (no more than 10 rounds in the magazine) rifles and non-large capacity (no more than 5 rounds) shotguns and to possess a firearm (pistol or revolver) in their home or on their property.

then

The applicant for the class “C” FID will be required to submit the following:

1. A completed FID permit application.

2. A letter from the applicant’s physician stating the applicant has no medical or psychological issues that would preclude him/her from owning, carrying, or legally using a firearm. (See supplement 1) A letter is required for 2nd renewals.

That bolded part is felony wrong, an FID doesn't cover a handgun. You need an LTC to possess any handgun, including BP handguns, even in your own home or on your own property.

PD websites are probably the worst place to get legal info from in Mass.

Yup.

As an example, their site doesn't make the connection that just because you're able to get an FID doesn't mean you can, they hint around at the Fed DQ but don't address it.

They do, but erroneously...

FEDERALLY PROHIBITED PERSONS: Warning!!!

The 1998 Federal Gun Control Act makes it unlawful for certain categories of persons to ship, transport, receive, or possess firearms. Transfers of firearms to any such prohibited persons are also unlawful under Federal Law. These categories include any person--

1) under Federal indictment for a Federal crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;

2) convicted of a Federal crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;.....

So, according to them, a State level indictment/conviction isn't a Federal DQ. [thinking]

That bolded part is felony wrong, an FID doesn't cover a handgun. You need an LTC to possess any handgun, including BP handguns, even in your own home or on your own property.

Possession of a handgun by anyone (anywhere) w/o a LTC (min age is 21) is illegal in MA UNLESS they are under direct supervision of a LTC-holder.

+1 [/thread]

Hey GSG, just thought I heads up you on this one. In the past the Department of Mental Health (DMH) in MA has refused to cooperate with the State Police on background checks. That policy seems to have changed.

Last edited:
Its so refreshing to know that you and your children will be placed into cages and lose everything for exercising a Constitutional right

Ok...just to stir the pot...."Rights" often are enabled upon reaching the age of majority (18) , such as voting, making one's own financial decisions, etc. the question was about someone UNDER 18.

Of course, the 21 y.o. cutoff means that a young GI Joe, freshly back from shooting Hajis in the 'Stan would be prohibited from handgun posession, as he's "NOt mature enough".....

We'll leave the 21 year-old drinking age fro another time.

Ok...just to stir the pot...."Rights" often are enabled upon reaching the age of majority (18) , such as voting, making one's own financial decisions, etc. the question was about someone UNDER 18.

Of course, the 21 y.o. cutoff means that a young GI Joe, freshly back from shooting Hajis in the 'Stan would be prohibited from handgun posession, as he's "NOt mature enough".....

We'll leave the 21 year-old drinking age fro another time.
What a backward country we live in. Anyone whom has paced his or her ass in a sling for this nation should be able to drink, vote, carry etal.

What a backward country we live in. Anyone whom has paced his or her ass in a sling for this nation should be able to drink, vote, carry etal.

Lip....you just don't get it.....

we have an all volunteer military
if you sign up, you're vounteering to kill people (assuming foreigners are people....)
therefore, you've shown the predisposition to violence.

How can this person be trusted in civilised society? [rolleyes]

Maybe I should clarify. He wants to open carry my revolver on my land while he hunts squirrel with his bow. There is confirmed bear activity in the woods back there and he would (as would I) rather he be armed with something more than his longbow. He would rather not have to carry my shotgun along-although this is what I have recommended. Use the shotgun rather than the longbow. He is quite adamant about not using anything to hunt other than his longbow.

Maybe I should clarify. He wants to open carry my revolver on my land while he hunts squirrel with his bow. There is confirmed bear activity in the woods back there and he would (as would I) rather he be armed with something more than his longbow. He would rather not have to carry my shotgun along-although this is what I have recommended. Use the shotgun rather than the longbow. He is quite adamant about not using anything to hunt other than his longbow.

This could be a great life lesson on the realities of living in Massachusetts. Perhaps you could obtain one of the Mossberg Cruiser Model shotgums that Four Seasons advertises the kind with the pistol grip. That way he could carry it and the bow with minimal discomfort.

Sounds like you raised a rather self-reliant young lad who thinks he is at Burger King where he can have it his way, and not the PRM.

Lip....you just don't get it.....

we have an all volunteer military
if you sign up, you're vounteering to kill people (assuming foreigners are people....)
therefore, you've shown the predisposition to violence.

How can this person be trusted in civilised society? [rolleyes]

Sadly there are people in Cambridge, Amherst and other locations throughout this country of ours who actually believe this [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom