.17HM2 Problems!

So, I bought a used savage rifle in .17HM2 a while back. I love the rifle[grin], but it was splitting the brass on a regular basis, requiring me to pry it out. The rifle went back to Savage. Long story short, a few months later I wound up with a brand new rifle. It's great, an upgrade of the original rifle, accutrigger and all. Problem is, I keep getting split brass lodged in the gun. It's no longer in the same relation to the firing pin strike, so I know the chamber on this gun is OK. I've only used CCI ammo because it's the only thing I can get and I know that they manufacture the ammo for other companies. Anyone else had this experience?

I wish it were that easy, I live on Cape Cod: one real gun shop that only has the CCI with the red/orange package. And NOBODY wants to ship any ammo to MA. Such a pain in the *ss!

I believe Hornady and CCI are the same manufacturer and Eley and Remington are the same. If I could actually BUY some of those I'd be all set!

Update: I put a box 50 Hornady through the gun. About one out of every five were ruptured. I shot a few mags without muffs on and you can HEAR the difference in the good ones and the split ones![angry] Anyone know where I can buy some Eley or Remington?

What model Savage?

This may be a silly question, but your aren't using .17 HM2 ammo in a .17 HMR rifle, are you?

What model Savage?

This may be a silly question, but your aren't using .17 HM2 ammo in a .17 HMR rifle, are you?

[laugh2] No, when I bought it the guy said "You know this is an hm2 and not an hmr, right?" It's a Savage MkII with accutrigger, the first gun was regular trigger.

If anyone's seen any .17hm2 somewhere that I could go buy in the evening (read: after work hours) somewhere near the cape let me know. Dick's in Plymouth only has Hornady and Walmart has nothing.

Back
Top Bottom