1903 C stock , back in stock w/cross bolts

That's a great head's up- thank you. Just bought two. One so I can dump the stupid Minelli I have been fighting with and one for spare. This will help me get my Remington 03A3 all sorted for CMP games next season.
Must have listened to all the complaints about no cross bolts included on the last run.

I also noticed they have 2 liatings and cant really tell the difference?

Must have listened to all the complaints about no cross bolts included on the last run.

I also noticed they have 2 liatings and cant really tell the difference?
Hard to tell, but the part number ending in 'B' is listed only for the 03A3, while the one you linked to is listed for 1903, 1903A1, and 1903A4. If it fits the 03A4 it will fit the 03A3. Possibly the thinner profile earlier stock, which is what I'd want. I might use one of these on the sniper and the older original for my 03A3- I'll figure it out when they deliver.

Hard to tell, but the part number ending in 'B' is listed only for the 03A3, while the one you linked to is listed for 1903, 1903A1, and 1903A4. If it fits the 03A4 it will fit the 03A3. Possibly the thinner profile earlier stock, which is what I'd want. I might use one of these on the sniper and the older original for my 03A3- I'll figure it out when they deliver.
Yeah? I only noticed when I was looking for other parts. I thought maybe they changed the price then found 2 different offerings

That's a great head's up- thank you. Just bought two. One so I can dump the stupid Minelli I have been fighting with and one for spare. This will help me get my Remington 03A3 all sorted for CMP games next season.
Curious what issues you're having with the Minelli.

Curious what issues you're having with the Minelli.
It's either warped along its length or the barrel inlet is off a little side to side. There's pressure against one side of the barrel at the tip of the stock. Bad juju for match accuracy, ok for your average milsurp.

@Mountain which sniper did you end up buying off that guy...his a1 or one of his a4’s?
A1. Bit of a cluster but not intentional. I paid for one in a straight stock at a lower price but he sent the scant. Scant not legal for competition but I was going to replace the straight stock anyway. Soon had a problem with the Hilux scope but Hilux fixed it no questions. Rebarrel and chamber work was very well done.

It's now in a vintage C stock. I'll use one of the USGI SARCO stocks for an 03A3 project.

Are you certain that the Numrich stocks aren’t Minelli? I’m sure you already know this, but Minelli’s are supposed to be good stocks…

Are you certain that the Numrich stocks aren’t Minelli? I’m sure you already know this, but Minelli’s are supposed to be good stocks…
I guess I'll find out. I hope not Minelli, because even if straight they are too fat and need to be sanded down (@dw617 has a post / thread on this). If indeed Minelli, I will keep the best of the two and return the other. Listing says USGI manufacture, so I am assuming new old stock. You are likely correct, so I'll probably end up cherry picking then returning one.

I have heard Minelli is supposed to be good- so maybe I just got 'lucky' with the warped one. It's perfectly OK for most applications, just unsuitable for the level of accuracy necessary for vintage sniper competition.

I don’t see “USGI” anywhere in the description. The fact that the cross bolts are not installed is a dead giveaway, not to mention the price. If they were NOS UGSI C stocks, they would be at least double that price.

I don’t see “USGI” anywhere in the description. The fact that the cross bolts are not installed is a dead giveaway, not to mention the price. If they were NOS UGSI C stocks, they would be at least double that price.
Screenshot_20220124-093952_Chrome.jpg

Were you looking at this page? Clearly states "US Military " as the manufacturer. We'll see what shows up, but that's the description.

Yes, if NOS they are selling for more via fleabay etc. Possibly I could sell one and the other will essentially be free.

That just means that the 1903a3 was originally made by the US Military.

This scope mount is clearly not USGI and says the same thing. Good luck!

Attachments

• 6854E13D-1973-460E-8983-19E0FDEAEF45.png
    6854E13D-1973-460E-8983-19E0FDEAEF45.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 4
View attachment 568543

Were you looking at this page? Clearly states "US Military " as the manufacturer. We'll see what shows up, but that's the description.

Yes, if NOS they are selling for more via fleabay etc. Possibly I could sell one and the other will essentially be free.
Any idea off-hand (hah, pun!) if these would be A-OK for an A3 in the Springfield CMP match? My A1 has a C stock and I much prefer it over my other Springfield’s.

Any idea off-hand (hah, pun!) if these would be A-OK for an A3 in the Springfield CMP match? My A1 has a C stock and I much prefer it over my other Springfield’s.
I think C stock OK for anything, scant only OK for 03A3 and 03A4.

That just means that the 1903a3 was originally made by the US Military.

This scope mount is clearly not USGI and says the same thing. Good luck!
Gotcha- that's clear. A bit confusing that their crap is listed that way.

Stocks delivered today. Seem a little slimmer than my previous Numrinelli? If they are not staining (last one was not), the wood is a nice reddish brown walnut color. I'll do a little clean up and determine if a finish or simply nice colored walnut. They appear to be very well machined, will be a while before I see how one shoots.

Gotcha- that's clear. A bit confusing that their crap is listed that way.

Stocks delivered today. Seem a little slimmer than my previous Numrinelli? If they are not staining (last one was not), the wood is a nice reddish brown walnut color. I'll do a little clean up and determine if a finish or simply nice colored walnut. They appear to be very well machined, will be a while before I see how one shoots.
Missed that tid bit. I figured Minelli or maybe a buy out of old inventory somewhere.

Missed that tid bit. I figured Minelli or maybe a buy out of old inventory somewhere.
Haven't pulled the 03A3 out to make the direct comparison, but for sure there are some differences and I think the source could be different than Minelli. They look new, so if old inventory they were well preserved. The known Minelli stock I have was made from wood of a kinda ugly light brown color. DW's stock is really sharp and a nice color, but also a lighter shade. The new ones are a relatively deep reddish brown. If they were stained, it is a very uniform job and every single surface was covered without any dark spots in corners from excess stain. I'll clean one up a bit and hope that's the natural wood so that I can simply use BLO. Anyway, so far I'm impressed with the quality of the stock especially for the money. Not cheap, but not stupid typical fleabay pricing for a C stock.

I only have the one stock to form an opinion on Minelli, but based on that very limited experience I'm not impressed. Eventually I'll take some pics and post on a milsurp focused forum to see if anyone can ID the maker of the new ones.

Mountain, can you post pics?

Mine was originally "finished" but it was likely a spray on finish. As I had to do extensive sanding/fitting, once I was done, I removed the remainder of the "finish".

Mountain, can you post pics?

Mine was originally "finished" but it was likely a spray on finish. As I had to do extensive sanding/fitting, once I was done, I removed the remainder of the "finish".
Aha, I did not know you had a spray finish prior to your own finish. I'll post some pics.

Here are the pics-
cEIUySdh.jpg

cp2icdLh.jpg

k3MWUTrh.jpg

Upon closer inspection, I'd agree that Minelli is the source. Though not as thick as the grip on my prior Minelli (maybe it was that A3 only version?) this grip is still a little on the chunky side- definitely not as svelte as my early USGI C-stocks. The other reason is whatever walnut species (European, Turkish, or ?) that Minelli uses, those wavy grain areas in the last pic are essentially identical to my other Minelli stock. Didn't see the rough spot where the band goes on my other stock- maybe Minelli received some feedback that they were too thick here? The band would not come close to closing on my other stock.

The Good

Overall it's a nice looking stock and the finish is uniform and doesn't appear to disappear with light rubbing of a paper towel like CMP spray finishes will. I think the hand guards I have will match decently so I might just buff a bit with steel wool then go straight to the BLO. The machining / cutting appears to be very precise and well done. Grain direction through the wrist / grip area is good for strength. Straightness of the barrel channel looks OK at first glance. Price is good considering the scarcity of these stocks. Having cross bolts is nice but...

The Bad

Cross bolts are a no-brainer to install. I would have rather they install the ferrule for the bolt that secures the receiver tang. Hopefully I have a spare, or I'll have to order one and pay more for shipping than for the part. I'm not happy about seeing wavy grain in the fore end / tip of the stock- straight grain would be much preferred here. Will be a while before I can see if it's a negative for accuracy. Will it warp in a bad direction on a hot, humid day? I'd think twice about using this for a sniper clone but hopefully OK for basic Springfield 'Games' matches. We'll see if this one is too fat to fit the band like my other one was. Also not my nitpick but a common nitpick of the 'gurus' is that the channel in front of the magazine well is supposed to be flat all the way across but has corners missing because it was quickly machined with a round tool. That's a short cut that the 'gurus' say should be fixed by gluing in lengthwise cut dowel sections to fill in the missing corners.

All I really care about is how it shoots. As mentioned, I've had trouble getting accuracy out of my first Minelli stock. My sniper shoots much better in an old early C-stock that I eventually found at non-rape pricing. Accuracy with the 03A3 TBD...

Here are the pics-
cEIUySdh.jpg

cp2icdLh.jpg

k3MWUTrh.jpg

Upon closer inspection, I'd agree that Minelli is the source. Though not as thick as the grip on my prior Minelli (maybe it was that A3 only version?) this grip is still a little on the chunky side- definitely not as svelte as my early USGI C-stocks. The other reason is whatever walnut species (European, Turkish, or ?) that Minelli uses, those wavy grain areas in the last pic are essentially identical to my other Minelli stock. Didn't see the rough spot where the band goes on my other stock- maybe Minelli received some feedback that they were too thick here? The band would not come close to closing on my other stock.

The Good

Overall it's a nice looking stock and the finish is uniform and doesn't appear to disappear with light rubbing of a paper towel like CMP spray finishes will. I think the hand guards I have will match decently so I might just buff a bit with steel wool then go straight to the BLO. The machining / cutting appears to be very precise and well done. Grain direction through the wrist / grip area is good for strength. Straightness of the barrel channel looks OK at first glance. Price is good considering the scarcity of these stocks. Having cross bolts is nice but...

The Bad

Cross bolts are a no-brainer to install. I would have rather they install the ferrule for the bolt that secures the receiver tang. Hopefully I have a spare, or I'll have to order one and pay more for shipping than for the part. I'm not happy about seeing wavy grain in the fore end / tip of the stock- straight grain would be much preferred here. Will be a while before I can see if it's a negative for accuracy. Will it warp in a bad direction on a hot, humid day? I'd think twice about using this for a sniper clone but hopefully OK for basic Springfield 'Games' matches. We'll see if this one is too fat to fit the band like my other one was. Also not my nitpick but a common nitpick of the 'gurus' is that the channel in front of the magazine well is supposed to be flat all the way across but has corners missing because it was quickly machined with a round tool. That's a short cut that the 'gurus' say should be fixed by gluing in lengthwise cut dowel sections to fill in the missing corners.

All I really care about is how it shoots. As mentioned, I've had trouble getting accuracy out of my first Minelli stock. My sniper shoots much better in an old early C-stock that I eventually found at non-rape pricing. Accuracy with the 03A3 TBD...
Coming across a nice 1/4 sawn wood stock is going to cost. Plus many cut the blanks to get as many pieces from the log.
When I called wenig a few years ago he said they get out bid on lots of wood especially the any fancy grain stuff but the manufactures of laminated woods.

Heads up here, you can align your C&R to Numrich for a "dealer" discount.

The old C&R I had on file expired with them and they just processed my current one, so I was curious to see what the pricing difference was.

Dealer price for the stock $223 (vs $247). This is an instance where the $30 C&R fee pays for itself... FYI.

"The Ram" offers a similar discount... that's where I got my original Minelli for a deeper discount back in the day.

Heads up here, you can align your C&R to Numrich for a "dealer" discount.

The old C&R I had on file expired with them and they just processed my current one, so I was curious to see what the pricing difference was.

Dealer price for the stock $223 (vs $247). This is an instance where the $30 C&R fee pays for itself... FYI.

"The Ram" offers a similar discount... that's where I got my original Minelli for a deeper discount back in the day.
You just never know how much they will drop.
I was overly surprised at the discount off a few Criterion barrels. Few years back.
Reminds me to ip date the Ram

Back
Top Bottom