• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 22LR conversion barrel separation

Someone let me borrow their 22LR 1911. I shot a couple hundred rounds through it. The barrel seems to have separated a bit and holds the slide back just enough to where the hammer won't hit the firing pin. I need to fix this asap. Any ideas? :-/ help!!!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358718096902.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358718096902.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358718107996.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358718107996.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 49
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358718115807.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358718115807.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 48
All I did was load the mag and pull the trigger a few times. :-/

It does look like it can be tapped in. I just don't want to mess it up. I'll purchase a new barrel if need be.

Oh, you went and broke it!!

Actually, that barrel is from a Colt Ace. The chamber "floats," supposedly to simulate more recoil. See how the tab on the bottom of the barrel can move within the slot? It looks like maybe there's too much "gunk" in there to "float" back closed.

My advice is hit it with a good spray cleaner and work the chamber back and forth a bit. You should be fine.

ETA: From the manual: "Once the barrel is removed, the floating chamber can be rotated and separated from the main barrel for cleaning."

Last edited:
Oh, you went and broke it!!

Actually, that barrel is from a Colt Ace. The chamber "floats," supposedly to simulate more recoil. See how the tab on the bottom of the barrel can move within the slot? It looks like maybe there's too much "gunk" in there to "float" back closed.

My advice is hit it with a good spray cleaner and work the chamber back and forth a bit. You should be fine.

ETA: From the manual: "Once the barrel is removed, the floating chamber can be rotated and separated from the main barrel for cleaning."

Thank you. I feel better now. It looked like it should move. I will soak and spray and wiggle her. Wish me luck. I never break other people's things. I take good care of all my things. So this happening made me sad.

I finally got the barrel apart. There was so much lead crud in it, it was stopping it from going all the way in. I had to use a pick to get some chunks off. It's soaking now for a few minutes. Hope it works

Once you get it cleaned it should work fine. My guess would be that the owner who let you borrow it never cleaned it and you just happened to have it when it malfunctioned.

I had that same thing happen. I had to take the two pieces there apart and get the lead out that was sticking thing up. The lead was beat down so it looked like a piece of chrome that peeled off.

Back
Top Bottom