1911 for USPSA. 9mm or 45 ?

My thought was, this is a "simulation" of a gunfight, since when is having to much ammo in a gunfight a bad thing?
Many of the IDPA rules seem designed to either be "different" from USPSA rules, or to be "more tactical".

I am still looking for a LE/Mil agency that teaches its operators to always retain partially full magazines under the pressure of a gunfight, and to not reload at an opportune time when there are rounds left in the mag in the gun. According to the "doctrine of IDPA", this is tactically necessary and doing either is suitable only for games.

At my last idpa I got fanged for having a 4th 9 round mag, I had a malfunction dumped mag, slid in a freshy and BLAMO, Procedural penalty. Thanks to my Remington r1 enhanced 9mm I am extremely fast at clearing malfunctions of various types (36 fte out 144 rounds last time I held it, now waiting on my refund ) My thought was, this is a "simulation" of a gunfight, since when is having to much ammo in a gunfight a bad thing?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

One more reason not to shoot IDPGay.

Seems like I need to learn more about this nascar with guns thingy called uspsa.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

If you do you won't want to go back..trust me. I still shoot IDPA with my son just because its trigger time for him and I together. But if there's a USPSA match anywhere instead we go there.

Many of the IDPA rules seem designed to either be "different" from USPSA rules, or to be "more tactical".

I am still looking for a LE/Mil agency that teaches its operators to always retain partially full magazines under the pressure of a gunfight, and to not reload at an opportune time when there are rounds left in the mag in the gun. According to the "doctrine of IDPA", this is tactically necessary and doing either is suitable only for games.

I agree that some IDPA mag rules are off the wall with the "reload with retention" at the top of the list. This problem could be solved by shooting the gun dry, period. Also, limiting the amount of ammo you can carry makes no sense, tactical or otherwise.

This problem could be solved by shooting the gun dry, period.
IDPA will assess a penalty if the RO thinks you took extra shots just to dump the rounds to make for a more convenient reload.

Shooting the gun dry does not solve the problem.

It is generally advantageos in a stage to time your reloads so they occur concurrent with movement. Doing a "standing reload" will easily cost you a second or two over burying that reload in time you are spending moving, and this means that it can be advantageous (absent a scoring penalty as in IDPA) to drop a mag with a few rounds left in it.

Last edited:
IDPA will assess a penalty if the RO thinks you took extra shots just to dump the rounds to make for a more convenient reload. Shooting the gun dry does not solve the problem. It is generally advantages in a stage to time your reloads so they occur concurrent with movement. Doing a "standing reload" will easily cost you a second or two over burying that reload in time you are spending moving, and this means that it can be advantageous (absent a scoring penalty as in IDPA) to drop a mag with a few rounds left in it.

Rob, IDPA eliminated the ban against round dumping.

Also, if you are in USPSA production division, better not pull a spare mag from your front pocket during the stage...

This was a good move, since it can be hard to tell the difference between a dump and taking another shot because the shooter thought he missed.

It was basically never enforced for precisely that reason. Unless someone was stupid enough to say he was going to round dump within earshot of the SO, there was no way for the SO to know for sure. I never gave out a penalty for it.

IDPA will assess a penalty if the RO thinks you took extra shots just to dump the rounds to make for a more convenient reload.

Shooting the gun dry does not solve the problem.

It is generally advantageos in a stage to time your reloads so they occur concurrent with movement. Doing a "standing reload" will easily cost you a second or two over burying that reload in time you are spending moving, and this means that it can be advantageous (absent a scoring penalty as in IDPA) to drop a mag with a few rounds left in it.

My point was that shooting the gun dry would be a workable substitute for the various rules now in effect.

Back
Top Bottom