• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 Frame scratching… normal?

Is this normal for a scandium framed 1911?

Attachments

• 866E0402-2D2C-4C11-9224-AD875489FF83.jpeg
    866E0402-2D2C-4C11-9224-AD875489FF83.jpeg
    405 KB · Views: 15
The lower scratch isn't even in the direction of the arc shaped movement of the safety. What the gun pre-abused or did you figure out a way to do this damage?

The lower scratch isn't even in the direction of the arc shaped movement of the safety. What the gun pre-abused or did you figure out a way to do this damage?
I bought it used a couple weeks ago, no scratches at time of purchase and he said he put only a few rounds through it. I baby my guns, all I did was shoot it lol

Original owner probably tried to do a trigger job on it.
If I remember right, the thumb safety has to be trimmed to fit the sear, and the sears (and aftermarket thumb safety) come a bit oversized, so its pull it out, swipe it with a stone, put it back in, pull it out, etc.
Take the grips off and look for any punch marks where pins would be.

Original owner probably tried to do a trigger job on it.
If I remember right, the thumb safety has to be trimmed to fit the sear, and the sears (and aftermarket thumb safety) come a bit oversized, so its pull it out, swipe it with a stone, put it back in, pull it out, etc.
Take the grips off and look for any punch marks where pins would be.
The fitting is all done on the thump safety, not the sear. The engagement surface of the sear may be tweaked as part of a trigger job.

let me toss an opinion out. i'd agree with mr. @drgrant. that lower scratch is consistent with a scratch made by an ill fitting safety being swiped on/off. maybe even a burr on the underside or a stray piece of metal chip. i also think a kitchen table gunsmith tried to wiggle it away from the frame and took the finish off and made the upper scratch. if you knew nothing about a 1911 style pistol, it would not be a good idea to disassemble and attempt a trigger job. if that's a smith scandium commander sized pistol it would be worth a trip back to the mother land (the factory) for a look over and repair if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom