1911 FTF

Viper22

NES Member
I recently built a 1911, and I am experiencing a FTF issue. I'm looking for how/why this is happening. I'm using a Chip McCormick 8 round magazine.

If I load the magazine to 8 rounds & insert the mag with the slide locked back, then close the slide, the nose of the round dips and jams into the bottom of the feedramp.

If I do the same procedure with the mag loaded to 7 rounds, the round feeds and the slide closes.

If I then drop the mag and load it to 8 rounds and have a round in the chamber and fire the gun, it will successfully load the next round.

Whats going on?

I think the mag spring is the culprit. Load it to full capacity and let it sit for a week or so.

Gammon, I believe you might be on to something. I was doing more research on the issue, and it seems to be caused by the new mag. The spring is too strong and holds on to that first round too much. (too much drag on the feed lips causes the round to nosedive when the slide is pushing it forward)

After I built my 1911 last year, it took a while to find the right mags. It likes Metalform the best. Tuning the extractor properly is critical, as is getting the correct recoil spring. Finally, the inside surfaces of the slide stop may also need filing. I have a 10mm, so it's a bit more of a challenge to get right than the 45.

I recently built a 1911, and I am experiencing a FTF issue. I'm looking for how/why this is happening. I'm using a Chip McCormick 8 round magazine.

This is the problem. You simply cannot successfully use a follower like that and get the reliability of a proper 8 round mag (using an 8 round mag body: ACT, Mec-Gar, Wilson ETM, Cobra). The idea originated with JMB and he abandoned it as not ever likely to work as well as the 7 round mags.

The bodies of those magazines are excellent, however, most of the time. I like to run stock military springs and followers, or, more recently, Tripp mag conversions:

UGKIT.png

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

I trust my life to these conversions in a couple Wilson #47 mag bodies. I've never seen anything run better in any 1911!

Regards,

Josh

This is the problem. You simply cannot successfully use a follower like that and get the reliability of a proper 8 round mag (using an 8 round mag body: ACT, Mec-Gar, Wilson ETM, Cobra). The idea originated with JMB and he abandoned it as not ever likely to work as well as the 7 round mags.

The bodies of those magazines are excellent, however, most of the time. I like to run stock military springs and followers, or, more recently, Tripp mag conversions:

UGKIT.png

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

I trust my life to these conversions in a couple Wilson #47 mag bodies. I've never seen anything run better in any 1911!

Regards,

Josh

I have used the CMC mags with the metal follower with no problems.

And I've had nothing but problems with them in several pistols.

Maybe we do things differently... but I can't imagine how. Do you top off the mag after loading for a full 9 rounds?

Josh

Back
Top Bottom