1911 ... gap between hammer and fp

50wt

NES Member
I'm sure I could easily find the answer to my question in a few minutes on the 1911 forums or by emailing one of the many local smiths on this.

Is this gap between the hammer and fp acceptable / normal ?DSC_3380.JPG

is that a gap or is it resting on it? Looks like resting. pin spring holding everything back.
Can us stick a feeler gauge in there?
New? Don't they factory test these before they go out?

What make/model of 1911? Have you pulled the trigger (again making sure the gun is unloaded) and made sure he hammer has fully dropped? My Series 70 Gold Cup National Match almost looks like this when the hammer is resting on the "half cock safety” notch, i.e. the hammer isn’t anywhere near half cock when it’s resting on the safety notch.

The length of the hammer strut will determine whether or not the hammer hits the firing pin while still being driven by the main spring, or if it is coasting forward after the main spring has fully uncompressed.

If your hammer is not shown in the half cock position, I assume your gun was built with the shorter strut scenario.

There are pros and cons of each way. I have 2011 pistols hand built by the same guy, one each way.

20210401_091451.jpgHere is an update. I had replaced all of the internals along with a hammer not realising that i hd ordered just the hammer with no strut. A Couple weeeks later, i ordered a new strut and installed it. I never did measure either of them, so there could be some dimensional differences.. I had forgotten about the new strut when i posted this.

So, I removed the msh and the plunger. I could have faced off the plunger , but that would decrease the width and depth of the csink / divot . Wanting to keep the divot on the plunger the same depth and width, i cut a radius on the corner . This is where the little plunger pin keeper thingamabob sits . With a radius on the corner, the plunger now sits higher up eliminating that horrendous gap.

The .45 has an inertial firing pin. The hammer has to come forward under spring pressure with some velocity hitting the firing pin and rebounding back to a resting position, it doesn't rest against the end of the firing pin.

Maybe her side would see some cooperation if they started horse trading rather than horse theft. A good start would be them putting "shall issue with national reciprocity" on the table - after all, they claim they only want guns out of the "wrong hands". Ooops, I guess that is us.
I'm almost certain that this is a well reasoned and appropriate response.

I suspect you meant to place this elsewhere however.

Back
Top Bottom