1911 locked up -- Can't rack slide!

KBCraig

NES Member
UPDATE: problem solved!

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-rack-slide!?p=3966943&viewfull=1#post3966943

My EDC is a full size Citadel 1911, which has always performed flawlessly.

Yesterday I went to unload it for cleaning and some dry-fire practice. I did the standard drill: dropped the magazine, safe direction, finger off trigger, safety off, rack the slide to eject the chambered round...

Nope. Won't budge. It's not spring resistance, either: it's mechanically locked up and won't budge. I carefully lowered the hammer and tried it that way. No go. Re-cocked it, cycled the safety several times, no change.

Help!

Last edited:
Had this happen to an sr 45. I got mine open with a small screwdriver between barrel hood and breech face. All it took was a gentle nudge and it opened right up. But I could not open it by hand no matter how hard I pulled. I was kind of surprised how little effort was required with screwdriver after yanking on it to no avail with my hands. I then went right on shooting as nothing happened.

My first question is if the slide became jammed after you reassembled the gun? Also, is the slide lined up with the frame or is it slightly forward of where it should sit?

Sounds like you have a live round chambered too.

It could be that the grips are interfering with the safety. I'd take the grips off and see if that helps.

With a very firm grip hold the top of the slide with your weak hand pointing the gun in a safe direction. Open up your strong hand so you form a "U" with your thumb and index finger. Drive your hand into the back of the pistol grip as hard as you can. 9 times out of 10 this will dislodge the stuck round from the chamber.

With a very firm grip hold the top of the slide with your weak hand pointing the gun in a safe direction. Open up your strong hand so you form a "U" with your thumb and index finger. Drive your hand into the back of the pistol grip as hard as you can. 9 times out of 10 this will dislodge the stuck round from the chamber.
This isn't a stuck round, or a matter of how hard I pull it. It's not moving.

Try firing it with a bench vise and a long string at an empty range.
I've been tempted. I could at least take care of the chambered round that way.

I had this happen on a para 38 super once, Nearest I can figure it was a round that did not get resized out of a box of reloads that came with the gun, locked it up good. A rubber mallet, a few hail Mary's, and a lot of profuse swaeating took care of it. I don't recommend that course of action however...lol

I just had this happen with a Sistema I bought from another NES'er. Unfortunately it was a barrel bulge from the prior owner shooting a reload that got stuck in the barrel and then was punched out. I was lucky enough to spend more money than I should have and then spend even more fixing it. -Anyone want an overpriced Sistema?

Last edited:
How can you tell?

The only time I've seen guns locked up like that is due to a stuck round.

Me too. I've had some bulged 40's get stuck in a Kart barrel and the slide would not budge until I beat on it pretty hard.

Yesterday I went to unload it for cleaning and some dry-fire practice. I did the standard drill: dropped the magazine, safe direction, finger off trigger, safety off, rack the slide to eject the chambered round...

Nope. Won't budge. It's not spring resistance, either: it's mechanically locked up and won't budge. I carefully lowered the hammer and tried it that way. No go. Re-cocked it, cycled the safety several times, no change.

Help!

So you still have a roun in the chamber right?

Any chance it has a USGI guide rod? If so, I presume you could brace the front of the slide (underneath the barrel) against the edge of a table and push the gun downwards. That would keep the muzzle well away from your body.

I had a tiny piece of plastic break off of a chamber flag and get stuck between the barrel chamber and feed ramp which totally locked up the 1911. It didn't allow the barrel to drop and disengage the locking lugs. with an extreme amount of force the plastic finally crushed to where the barrel would unlock.

If there is a round in the chamber, the above is how you can clear it. or put the guide plug tunnel portion of the slide on the edge of a table and slam down on the back of the gun.

I had a tiny piece of plastic break off of a chamber flag and get stuck between the barrel chamber and feed ramp which totally locked up the 1911. It didn't allow the barrel to drop and disengage the locking lugs. with an extreme amount of force the plastic finally crushed to where the barrel would unlock.

Ban plastic chamber flags!!

Full length guide rod, unfortunately. I tried bracing the front sight against the edge of the workbench, but all I did was make a nice indentation in the bench.

Then maybe look for a very short section of steel tubing large enough to encircle the guide rod opening. Use that as a brace and do as I mentioned above. You may even have a piece of spent brass that is large and solid enough for the job.

Then maybe look for a very short section of steel tubing large enough to encircle the guide rod opening. Use that as a brace and do as I mentioned above. You may even have a piece of spent brass that is large and solid enough for the job.

If the OP doesn't have something to use, I do. I just tested it on my 1911 with the full length guide rod and it works.

If there is a round in the chamber, you can try using a small screwdriver to unhook the extractor from the case, disassemble the gun, then drive the case or round out with a rod.

Problem solved!

As I was looking at the muzzle (from an angle, of course!), I noticed the barrel bushing was turned just enough to cause it to hang up. I'm pretty sure it probably happened on seat belt latch, since I carry OWB.

I'll be holster shopping pronto, so that the muzzle is no longer exposed.

UPDATE: problem solved!

1911 locked up -- Can't rack slide!

Help! Had the same problem gun got it apart and found the link pin had come out of barrel drove it back with a punch worked fine until I fired 100 rounds it worked its way out again heats up when fired and expans have orded new pin

Back
Top Bottom