1911s legal in MA?

Can anyone tell me, or point me to, which brands of 1911s are MA-legal?

Thanks!
ZA

Can you run a search to find - and actually read - the numerous threads on this subject?

Go to the GOAL or CHSB website and click on Approved Firearms Roster. You will find:

SVI (the FIRST on the list);

S&W and

Para Ordnance (note the complete absence of the letter "i" [rolleyes])

which should be selection enough to keep someone who did NO research busy for a while.

Scrivener, you are both an awesome educator *and* a master of English!

I can only imagine how embarrassing it must have been for you for those first 24 hours you were as uneducated as me and had to look to others for answers.

And to all the others here who actually gave me constructive, uncynical responses, thanks!

S&W makes darn nice 1911 IMO. SVI... haven't seen one in real life.. but they look damn unbelievable in the pics I've seen.

Wrt Scrivener- I appreciate his unrelentless attempt at educating all of us.. plus his humor is second to none.

+1 This is correct.

Out of curiousity, why do you ask?...Are you just trying to do some research for a future project, or are you ready to buy a 1911 and want to know your options?

A bit of both- am doing research for a future purchase of a 1911 and hence want to know my options ;)

I'll tell you, it is a shame those Auto Ordnances have such mixed reviews- they are in my price range and are spot-on model-wise what I'm looking for.

If the Auto Ordnance is in your price range, you can definitely forget thinking about an SVI [laugh]

Consider a nice S&W 1911...It may be a few bucks more, but with S&W's reliability and warranty, it's well worth it.

If you're near Springfield, take a ride to the SW Shooting Sports Center- try one out for a few bucks before you buy it. You'll probably find that they are nicer and have better options- plus, you can try it before you buy it (well, one like it).

Don't be shocked at the prices in their retail store though- SW holds themselves to at or near MSRP, and refuse to intentionally undercut their dealer-gunshop customers' prices. You may find a better deal on one if you can find a local shop holding a "Smith and Wesson Days" event. Northeast Trading in N. Attleboro and Four Seasons in Woburn usually have a VERY nice selection of Paras and Smiths. Other stores may have a good selection too, but these are the ones I get to most frequently. Hit up some local shooting competitions to talk with owners of them (if that's what you want it for), and get touchy-feely with as many different types as you can. The Mil-spec ones typically have kinda-crappy sights, from what I have seen (referencing your link in particular, the front sight appears to be part of the slide- and the rear is quite small and hard to adjust).

Check this one out:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=33858&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

I highly doubt it'll cost you anywhere near retail, but it comes from the factory with ambi-safeties, adjustable/ REPLACEABLE sights (front and rear), and a lot of other goodies.

It all depends on what you wish to use it for- check out as many as you can, and you'll eventually find the right one for you, and that's what's the most important.

Make sure if you go to S&W that you do compare the prices with your local shop. Yes many time they are more expensive for the reasons stated by Mooney but many time you would be suprised at just how close they are to other dealers.

They want about $850 for a new SW1911PD which is not to bad. They are also selling model 620's for less then what FS quoted me. So just make sure you compare prices.

Sorry for being off topic.

Back
Top Bottom