• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1st amendment rights denied regarding 2nd amendment; houston area college

allen-1

NES Member
https://www.thefire.org/student-sue...old-gun-rights-sign-needs-special-permission/

Link description just about says it all. College supplies a "free speech zone" about the size of a parking space where you can say what you want. Everything else has to be sanitized. This is such total crap. When I went to college it was literally a place for people of different backgrounds, different experiences, different lifestyles to collide, to argue, to discuss, to talk, to share. It was exciting, chaotic at times. We stayed up late at night arguing, laughing, having fun and enjoying being young.

After I graduated, I worked for a college for five years. Worked a few other places, then for another college for four or five years. Worked a few places since and I realize that there's no way I could survive in a college atmosphere today as a student, teacher, admin or employee. That's a shame because those years were good years. I learned a lot, I met a lot of really bright, interesting people.

From what I can tell, this college is a private one. Thus, no ones first amendment rights were violated.

Blinn College student Nicole Sanders filed a First Amendment lawsuit against the public institution near Houston today after being told by an administrator last February that she would need “special permission” to display a gun rights sign and collect signatures for her student group on campus.

not private.

Not to hijack the thread, but this will be along the same lines. So I'm at the supermarket and I look over at the newspaper section and see all these racy colors and rainbows on the front page. It turns out that the Supreme Court has ruled gay marriage is legal everywhere now.

My question is this: can we make the 2nd amendment a civil right as well? For example, on job applications, signage, etc. have it include "no discrimination against race, sex, marriage status, second amendment liberties, veteran status, etc." ?

https://www.thefire.org/student-sue...old-gun-rights-sign-needs-special-permission/

Link description just about says it all. College supplies a "free speech zone" about the size of a parking space where you can say what you want. Everything else has to be sanitized. This is such total crap. When I went to college it was literally a place for people of different backgrounds, different experiences, different lifestyles to collide, to argue, to discuss, to talk, to share. It was exciting, chaotic at times. We stayed up late at night arguing, laughing, having fun and enjoying being young.

After I graduated, I worked for a college for five years. Worked a few other places, then for another college for four or five years. Worked a few places since and I realize that there's no way I could survive in a college atmosphere today as a student, teacher, admin or employee. That's a shame because those years were good years. I learned a lot, I met a lot of really bright, interesting people.

Tanya-Cohen-Hate-Speech.jpg

This. Private college, their rules. Don't like them? Don't go there.

Eh, I went to UMass Dartmouth (terrorist U) and we had a "free speech zone" that was halfway between upperclassmen housing and the academic buildings. Pretty much out in the middle of nowhere.

There is but one legitimate free speech zone in this country. It is limited by the Canadian and Mexican border, and the Atlantic and the pacific oceans.
There are rules that I simply won't ever follow.

Yup, we continue to accept it so we continue to condone it

Who's "we"? I am not part of the 51 or more percent of the low/no information voters who voted these bastards in...beyond the ballot box, there's only one other way to deal with this mess.

Not to hijack the thread, but this will be along the same lines. So I'm at the supermarket and I look over at the newspaper section and see all these racy colors and rainbows on the front page. It turns out that the Supreme Court has ruled gay marriage is legal everywhere now.

My question is this: can we make the 2nd amendment a civil right as well? For example, on job applications, signage, etc. have it include "no discrimination against race, sex, marriage status, second amendment liberties, veteran status, etc." ?

i have been saying this forever.....we need to treat it as such. as it is. just like the right to vote or anything else.

Back
Top Bottom