• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1st Class. Learn to Shoot

Mushkie11

NES Member
Yes I am super green having never fired a firearm before. I am waiting for my LTC which was submitted 12/19. I drove down to American Firearms School in North Attleboro MA and took the learn to shoot class with Jim. Had some anxiety going in as this is all very new to me but the guys there especially JIm were so nice and helpful. I want to be a safe and responsible gun owner so I felt this was a good first step!
Anyone new I highly recommend checking these guys out.

Yes I am super green having never fired a firearm before. I am waiting for my LTC which was submitted 12/19. I drove down to American Firearms School in North Attleboro MA and took the learn to shoot class with Jim. Had some anxiety going in as this is all very new to me but the guys there especially JIm were so nice and helpful. I want to be a safe and responsible gun owner so I felt this was a good first step!
Welcome aboard!

This was target. First time shooting a firearm. .22 cal Sig P320 from 15 ft. Only missed the paper twice :p
Outstanding! It sounds like you had a really good time.
Now you can go back and rent some guns off the wall to get a feel for what guns you like before you make a purchase.

Here is hoping that your wait is a short one.

Do you plan on carrying when you get your license?

Outstanding! It sounds like you had a really good time.
Now you can go back and rent some guns off the wall to get a feel for what guns you like before you make a purchase.

Here is hoping that your wait is a short one.

Do you plan on carrying when you get your license?
Ya I already am planning to schedule some one on one training with rented guns. Very excited about that tbh.

I do plan on carrying once I get my Ltc. How much is to be determined.

i can remember when i first joined a gun club. wqy, way long time ago. i didn't even own a firearm at this time. we had to go to a club safety briefing on a saturday evening. we sat around the big meeting table in the club room and the instructor asked "who doesn't know how to load and unload a semi auto pistol?" he asked the same regarding revolvers. i was so green...and embarrassed...but i was the only one who raised my hand. and of course the obligatory muffled groan went up from the table. those were my baby steps but i was glad i did raise my hand to get that start. the instructor took me under his proverbial wing and asked if i wouldn't like to come back the next morning. he'd bring some of his pistols and ammo, give me some basics, and he let me shoot all morning. no bullshit, no snide comments or jokes at my expense. 60 years later i still remember that weekend and the safety instructor. his safety and shooting instruction, and kindness, shaped the way i conducted myself. very pleased to see you took the course with "jim". a good start to many years of shooting fun. i hope you get to enjoy the 2a experience for many years like me.

i can remember when i first joined a gun club. wqy, way long time ago. i didn't even own a firearm at this time. we had to go to a club safety briefing on a saturday evening. we sat around the big meeting table in the club room and the instructor asked "who doesn't know how to load and unload a semi auto pistol?" he asked the same regarding revolvers. i was so green...and embarrassed...but i was the only one who raised my hand. and of course the obligatory muffled groan went up from the table. those were my baby steps but i was glad i did raise my hand to get that start. the instructor took me under his proverbial wing and asked if i wouldn't like to come back the next morning. he'd bring some of his pistols and ammo, give me some basics, and he let me shoot all morning. no bullshit, no snide comments or jokes at my expense. 60 years later i still remember that weekend and the safety instructor. his safety and shooting instruction, and kindness, shaped the way i conducted myself. very pleased to see you took the course with "jim". a good start to many years of shooting fun. i hope you get to enjoy the 2a experience for many years like me.
This is exactly how it went tonight. I asked questions I had and the instructor actually liked that I was asking the questions. I had a great time and any anxiety or fears i had were quickly resolved.

Jim is a great guy and a good friend. I wrote his recommendation letter for his LTC and sold him his first gun, after that it was off to the races, lol.
No shit!? He was so nice and patient and the short time we spent together I felt comfortable at all times

Welcome!

You can never be too safe :)

No shit!? He was so nice and patient and the short time we spent together I felt comfortable at all times
He was where you are not that long ago. I was his gun nut friend, he'd come to my office & I’d show him stuff, we’d talk a lot. Then he started showing up at the office w his new acquisitions. He’s been at AFS a couple of years and loves it.

That is awesome. Now get a 2nd job to support he cost of ammo and a new gun every couple of months. [rofl]

He was where you are not that long ago. I was his gun nut friend, he'd come to my office & I’d show him stuff, we’d talk a lot. Then he started showing up at the office w his new acquisitions. He’s been at AFS a couple of years and loves it.
Ya he’s a great asset to their team. Overall getting into this community has been very welcoming and not how I thought it would be.

That is awesome. Now get a 2nd job to support he cost of ammo and a new gun every couple of months. [rofl]
Honest to God I have a few expensive habits (golf and bourbon) and now this! I have researched so many diff firearms cannot wait to buy them

Honest to God I have a few expensive habits (golf and bourbon) and now this! I have researched so many diff firearms cannot wait to buy them
You, my friend, have good taste in hobbies. Firearms are fun if you do it in safe manner. Glad to see you have approached firearms the right way: training with a good instructor.

Ya I already am planning to schedule some one on one training with rented guns. Very excited about that tbh.

I do plan on carrying once I get my Ltc. How much is to be determined.
You are not ready to carry, despite what the license says. You've only learned how to handle a firearm safely by yourself. Getting proper CCW training, especially understanding the legal side of things should you get into a use of lethal force incident is crucial.

You are not ready to carry, despite what the license says. You've only learned how to handle a firearm safely by yourself. Getting proper CCW training, especially understanding the legal side of things should you get into a use of lethal force incident is crucial.
Wait, wut? I respect your advice, I truly do, and I understand the intent, which is admirable, no doubt. However....
Although I am a huge advocate for training, I am a bigger advocate for not getting dead.
Assuming the OP is a reasonable adult of at least average intelligence, that is unlikely to shoot the girl working the drive thru because they ran out of chicken nuggets, let us not forget the first rule of winning a gun fight, which is, "bring a gun."
OP - you should endeavor to seek out quality training. It is incumbent upon you to become familiar with your firearm and it's safe and responsible use, but this does not mean that you should be prepared to sacrifice your life, or the life of those dear to you, until you have been trained to some arbitrary standard set by others, because some hood booger decides that he wants to relieve you of your valuables.
You never want to be laying in a parking lot bleeding out and have you last thought be, "shit, I wish I had not left my gun at home." Or worse, holding someone you love while they take their last breath, knowing you could have prevented it.
Love Machine is right, you should get training and education, and I have no doubt it is important to you and you will seek such training. Until you do, apply these simple guidelines.
1. Don't draw your firearm in public unless you absolutely intend to use it.
2. The only reason to draw your carry gun in public is to prevent probable death of yourself or a loved one. If you ever have to use your gun to protect yourself, even if you are completely justified, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is very likely to try to ruin your life. Make sure the person you are trying to protect is worthy of what you will probably be facing.
3. If you do have to pull the trigger, you are responsible for that piece of lead until it comes to rest, and you have to consider this. Which is easier said than done when your heart is pounding, adrenaline surging, and tunnel vision has taken hold.
4. Finally, if you do have to use your firearm, never ever ever ever, talk to the police after the fact. No matter what the circumstances are, even if it is obvious that if you didn't act, you were going to die, never ever ever talk to the police. Don't even answer the simplest of questions.
Be polite and just tell the cop, " I want to cooperate, but I am not going to talk at all until I have a lawyer present." Most people say that you should inform the police that you need medical attention and ask them to call an ambulance, which is a good idea for several reasons. It is entirely possible that you may go into shock and many people have difficulty breathing or chest pains. After a shooting, cops are not your friends. Even if they appear to be on your side, totally sympathetic and understanding, they will twist any statement made, take statements out of context, and use those statements as evidence against you.

Wait, wut? I respect your advice, I truly do, and I understand the intent, which is admirable, no doubt. However....
Although I am a huge advocate for training, I am a bigger advocate for not getting dead.
Assuming the OP is a reasonable adult of at least average intelligence, that is unlikely to shoot the girl working the drive thru because they ran out of chicken nuggets, let us not forget the first rule of winning a gun fight, which is, "bring a gun."
OP - you should endeavor to seek out quality training. It is incumbent upon you to become familiar with your firearm and it's safe and responsible use, but this does not mean that you should be prepared to sacrifice your life, or the life of those dear to you, until you have been trained to some arbitrary standard set by others, because some hood booger decides that he wants to relieve you of your valuables.
You never want to be laying in a parking lot bleeding out and have you last thought be, "shit, I wish I had not left my gun at home." Or worse, holding someone you love while they take their last breath, knowing you could have prevented it.
Love Machine is right, you should get training and education, and I have no doubt it is important to you and you will seek such training. Until you do, apply these simple guidelines.
1. Don't draw your firearm in public unless you absolutely intend to use it.
2. The only reason to draw your carry gun in public is to prevent probable death of yourself or a loved one. If you ever have to use your gun to protect yourself, even if you are completely justified, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is very likely to try to ruin your life. Make sure the person you are trying to protect is worthy of what you will probably be facing.
3. If you do have to pull the trigger, you are responsible for that piece of lead until it comes to rest, and you have to consider this. Which is easier said than done when your heart is pounding, adrenaline surging, and tunnel vision has taken hold.
4. Finally, if you do have to use your firearm, never ever ever ever, talk to the police after the fact. No matter what the circumstances are, even if it is obvious that if you didn't act, you were going to die, never ever ever talk to the police. Don't even answer the simplest of questions.
Be polite and just tell the cop, " I want to cooperate, but I am not going to talk at all until I have a lawyer present." Most people say that you should inform the police that you need medical attention and ask them to call an ambulance, which is a good idea for several reasons. It is entirely possible that you may go into shock and many people have difficulty breathing or chest pains. After a shooting, cops are not your friends. Even if they appear to be on your side, totally sympathetic and understanding, they will twist any statement made, take statements out of context, and use those statements as evidence against you.
This is great info. Thank you!

Ah yes you are correct it was a p322. I apologize and thank you for the clarification!
Question for you...how did that Sig run? I have been thinking about buying one. 22 caliber semi auto's are notoriously unreliable jamomatics. Many can't get through a magazine without a failure.

Question for you...how did that Sig run? I have been thinking about buying one. 22 caliber semi auto's are notoriously unreliable jamomatics. Many can't get through a magazine without a failure.
Again I don’t know my ass from my elbow but I have huge hands (yep) and it felt great and easy to shoot. Again I have nothing to compare it to but I loaded 5 10 round mags. They had the easy load mags with the circles on the side? And no failures.

Again I don’t know my ass from my elbow but I have huge hands (yep) and it felt great and easy to shoot. Again I have nothing to compare it to but I loaded 5 10 round mags. They had the easy load mags with the circles on the side? And no failures.
Most of the online reviews of the gun are positive. I have XL hands as well and most 22's feel kind of cheesey in the hand.
For me, so much of how I shoot a gun is about how it feels when gripped. Which is why I love my CZ Shadow and my 1911's. They just feel right.

Back
Top Bottom