1st time to the range in over a year and tested my dueling tree.

I built a dueling tree last week and was able to test it out this morning with a friend of mine. Neither of us had been to the range in over a year and I forgot how fun it is! We brought:

2x AKs - 7.62x39
Tavor X95 - .233
Russian M44 - 7.62x54R
Various Pistols - 9mm, .40, and .22

Here is the tree I built:

6.jpg

Here are some observations from today:

1. 100 yards is a lot further than I remember. The tree looks tiny out there and with irons sights we missed more than we hit. The tree took hits from 7.62x39, .223, and 7.62x54R at 100 yards and the plates held up great.

0.jpg

2. I bought a 75rd AK drum mag a few years ago on a whim and never used it. I had to watch a youtube video to figure out how to load it but it's worked great in both AKs. Will bring again for sure! First time shooting my VSKA AK and I have mixed feelings. The sights don't seem close to accurate and the rifle stock makes my cheek sit low, I need to investigate further when I have more time at the range. I have a MAK90 AK so I know this isn't anywhere near the quality of the MAK, but still fun. I put probably 350 rounds through it without any function issues at all, in fact the heat from the barrel was getting so hot that I had to put it down. haha

1.jpg

3. Here are the first couple hits with 7.62x39 at 100 yards. The plates are 3/8 AR500 steel, supposedly what they armor the humvees with. The stand I built is 3/8 cold roll steel which took a beating but didn't penetrate. We both decided that in a SHTF scenario we will both aim at arms and will probably hit dead center. haha.

2.jpg

4. Here is the tree on the 25 yard range after it had been hit with mostly everything. Still holding up well.

3.jpg

5. The center upright took some hits but nothing went through. I think that big crater is a 7.62x54R from 100 yards.

4.jpg

6. Here is worst looking plate at the end. This includes 7.62x39 and .223 at 25 yards.

5.jpg

I have some adjustments to make, those big bottom plates won't flip unless you hit them on the outer edges but other than that, it's fun! The pistol cartridges wouldn't move any of the plates at 25 yards. I'm going to try adding some oil where the steel goes into the brackets and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Are the upper plates bearing all of their weight on the bottom plate? If you can support them independently, you'll likely solve the friction issue. Looks like a fun setup otherwise.
Don't miss (top Picture) or you may hit that house on the other shore!

Are the upper plates bearing all of their weight on the bottom plate? If you can support them independently, you'll likely solve the friction issue. Looks like a fun setup otherwise.
Don't miss (top Picture) or you may hit that house on the other shore!

I'm not sure what you mean about the weight? Here are some pics of the back side as I was welding it together, it probably makes more sense. I've used it twice, the second time I sprayed some "Nonstick Pam" on the brackets and it seemed to work better but not 100% perfect. The real problem is I built the upright with an angle so the plates are leaning forward to begin with. I read to do this to keep the plates from getting stick half way around but I don't think that is going to be a problem. I'm probably going to build a new base with a lot less of a forward angle which will help in moving the bigger plates around.

I'll tell you what, no problem banging those plates around with 7.62x54R. I'm really happy with how well the plates are holding up, not even close to penetrating the steel even using rifles at pistol distances.

tree1.jpg

tree2.jpg

Last edited:
It's clear to see that each plate is independent of the others. I thought they may have been stacked on top of each other, hence pressing down the most on the bottom plates. You'll figure it out..
Yes, the 54R is a heavy hitter, for sure.

Looks nice. I’m in process of building one now. Where did you source the plates from? I bet after 10 min you had the same reaction as us racecar guys that spend time on a nice paint job...why the F did I bother painting this thing?!

Looks nice. I’m in process of building one now. Where did you source the plates from? I bet after 10 min you had the same reaction as us racecar guys that spend time on a nice paint job...why the F did I bother painting this thing?!

Luckily, I was able to escape from racing cars and move onto something more economical, like guns and snowmobiles. lol :D:D I bought the plates and brackets from a guy off Etsy. I have his number if you want to call/txt him. He made whatever I wanted and shipped quickly with what I thought was great pricing. He and even took pics of the CNC cutting the steel. PM me if you want his info.

@TTA89 I picked up a VSKA this past summer for a great price but haven't shot it yet. i'm not impressed with the fit and finish but it was a $650 century rifle so my expectations were not high. my only AK that sees activity is the riley defense RAK-47, mostly because AK prices have gone full retard so i just shoot the one rifle. i'm waiting for riley to finally release their AK-74. they seem to be stalling on it.

your steel build there is nice. far beyond my skills. those AR500 plates will last forever. with every steel setup i've used it's the mounting system that limits their life which it looks like will be the case with your mounting system. i've settle on these portable setups where the mounting hardware is completely "blocked" by the AR500 steel such that they essentially last forever. after half a dozen trips i replace the 2x4. these guys aren't the only game in town. im sure others make the same idea of a hanging plate that covers the hardware

I swapped the standard bolts for nylon nuts so they don't vibrate themselves loose.

I'm going to leave a little bit of an angle but not as much as there currently is. I haven't had time to play with it but will post back when I come out with version 1.1 haha.

I built a dueling tree last week and was able to test it out this morning with a friend of mine. Neither of us had been to the range in over a year and I forgot how fun it is! We brought:

2x AKs - 7.62x39
Tavor X95 - .233
Russian M44 - 7.62x54R
Various Pistols - 9mm, .40, and .22

Here is the tree I built:

View attachment 412249

Here are some observations from today:

1. 100 yards is a lot further than I remember. The tree looks tiny out there and with irons sights we missed more than we hit. The tree took hits from 7.62x39, .223, and 7.62x54R at 100 yards and the plates held up great.

View attachment 412250

2. I bought a 75rd AK drum mag a few years ago on a whim and never used it. I had to watch a youtube video to figure out how to load it but it's worked great in both AKs. Will bring again for sure! First time shooting my VSKA AK and I have mixed feelings. The sights don't seem close to accurate and the rifle stock makes my cheek sit low, I need to investigate further when I have more time at the range. I have a MAK90 AK so I know this isn't anywhere near the quality of the MAK, but still fun. I put probably 350 rounds through it without any function issues at all, in fact the heat from the barrel was getting so hot that I had to put it down. haha

View attachment 412251

3. Here are the first couple hits with 7.62x39 at 100 yards. The plates are 3/8 AR500 steel, supposedly what they armor the humvees with. The stand I built is 3/8 cold roll steel which took a beating but didn't penetrate. We both decided that in a SHTF scenario we will both aim at arms and will probably hit dead center. haha.

View attachment 412255

4. Here is the tree on the 25 yard range after it had been hit with mostly everything. Still holding up well.

View attachment 412261

5. The center upright took some hits but nothing went through. I think that big crater is a 7.62x54R from 100 yards.

View attachment 412262

6. Here is worst looking plate at the end. This includes 7.62x39 and .223 at 25 yards.

View attachment 412263

I have some adjustments to make, those big bottom plates won't flip unless you hit them on the outer edges but other than that, it's fun! The pistol cartridges wouldn't move any of the plates at 25 yards. I'm going to try adding some oil where the steel goes into the brackets and see if that helps.
How do you like your m44? I have a soviet m38 and a polish m44. Both are great dollar to fun ratio considering I paid less than $200 for each if them.

Back
Top Bottom