• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1st True Hunting Experience

ridleyman

NES Member
I bought a Winchester Model 12 in 12 gauge the other day with the intent of hunting rabbits and squirrels. Although I have had a hunting license for several years, and wander around the woods with a .22 on occasion, I have never bagged anything. Not coming from a hunting family, I have always been a bit reluctant to pursue the sport with too much vigor. Yesterday I went to a WMA and bumped into a very friendly guy who was training his 1 year old bird dog. I mentioned that I was rabbit hunting, of sorts, and he invited me to join him pheasant hunting. Well, before too long I winged a large cock, and I can't imagine ever using that expression in any other context, which was retrieved by his dog. I was shown how to butcher it, saving me the trouble of watching youtube videos at home. It was a great experience, I appreciate this guy's instruction, and my wife and I enjoyed sauteed pheasant breast for dinner! I'm looking forward to heading out again in the very near future.

Stand on the birds wings as close to the body as possible and pull on it's legs.
Instant breasted bird. I learned it on Partridge but works equally well on Pheasant. My buddy carries sizzers now in the field to clean up the edges. No need for a knife.

Good deal! A majority of hunters are great people who will gladly teach others and help them out. If we don't pass on our knowledge, who's gonna come after us?

That's good to hear. Are there any "new hunter" type classes where an experienced hunter actually takes a small group of people out into the woods and teaches them what the hell to do? Like a lot of gun owners, I grew up in the suburbs/city and definitely didn't know a single hunter growing up. So it's hard to learn how/what to do.

I'd say it's easier for a new gun owner to learn how to shoot due to the plethora of training classes, schools, and organized competition of all sorts in the area. But it doesn't seem like there is an equivalent resource for new hunters?

That's good to hear. Are there any "new hunter" type classes where an experienced hunter actually takes a small group of people out into the woods and teaches them what the hell to do? Like a lot of gun owners, I grew up in the suburbs/city and definitely didn't know a single hunter growing up. So it's hard to learn how/what to do.

I'd say it's easier for a new gun owner to learn how to shoot due to the plethora of training classes, schools, and organized competition of all sorts in the area. But it doesn't seem like there is an equivalent resource for new hunters?

Sure. Hire a guide. I've hired guides before, not because I didn't have the resources to hunt/fish, but because I was in a new area, learning new techniques unique to where I was. I hired the guides for their knowledge, not really concerned if we caught much or had a successful day in the field. The whole time I was nothing but questions and the guides where happy to share their knowledge.

Now, you don't have to hire a guide for some exotic whamabam trophy hunt or anything.

Another option is here on NES or your local club, meet folks who share your interests, it won't be long before someone asks you to come along with them. Or good old fashioned trial and error. If you like small game, then check out the regs to see where you can hunt, ask around about the area, and hit the woods.

I see a ton of people never hit the woods or the water because they feel like they don't know what they are doing and worry about not having a good time. I always tell them you sure as shit can't shoot or catch anything from your couch.

Take a hunters safety course also, they usually cover how to search areas and go over basic techniques that'll at least point you in the right direction.

My big thing is bowfishing and snagging for spoonbill. I take out new guys and extend offers to anyone and everyone. I hate hogging all that fun for myself lol.

I have a bunch of friends who are guides and they take out new people as well as seasoned hunters and fisherman. I hired one to fly fish off a drift boat in the East Outlet. Never done it and will do it again. Had a blast. He even cooked a lunch streamside just like they did in the old days. Great experience.
I sold my boat and another slipmate is also a guide asked me when I was getting another. I said I didn't use the one I had enough and if I want to go out on the big lake I'll hire you and save myself thousands. He chuckled and said "you're right".
I won a salt water fly fish trip years back. Had a blast.

Point is these guys want to teach you and they want you to try different techniques and gear. They will correct anything they think will improve your skill level.

Stand on the birds wings as close to the body as possible and pull on it's legs.
Instant breasted bird. I learned it on Partridge but works equally well on Pheasant...

My neighbor raises chickens and sold me a "fryer" on-the-hoof and told me about this method.
So, a week ago I tried it and I can still hear that chicken screaming...

used to love squirrel hunting as a teen.
You walk thru the woods with a small caliber rifle. Squirrels get mad at you and chirp away, and hide on the far side of the tree. You sit down, and wait...about 5 minutes, quietly. The squirrel "forgets" you are there, and comes around onto your side of the tree. Then blammo.

Depending on your location especially since you mention WMA you would be breaking the law wrt to hunting rabbits in Ma. That season doesn’t start until Jan.1 for cottontail and snowshoe. Know your regs. It’s a joyful sport and congrats on the cock.
You are mistaken
Season is open It runs to Feb 28
Know your regs:D

Keep at it. I started last year (properly) and while im still bad ive progressed a lot. Time in the woods is well spent even if you come up empty.

I find that technique works best on birds that are already dead.

Fine. I'll try it your way.
Walk me through this would ya...

Put my Timberland's where...?!
Whole_Chicken-683x1024.jpg

Join a sportsmans club. Preferably not one with a bar, as they are usually for drinkers not hunters. Find one with land and good ranges that has programs.

You will meet people there that will be glad to help you.

I do my part doing Youth Pheasant training and running theYouth Hunt.
We have also mentored youth deer and turkey hunts. Women in the outdoors as well is a great program.

The closest thing to this would be a hunters safety class. You will learn very basic stuff there. You may meet people there that can help though.

Other than that the best place to find game is in the fields and woods and not on the couch. The lessons you learn teaching yourself are the ones you will remember most.

Hunting in MA is not that easy. Birds and Rabbits not too bad.

Deer hunting depending on where you live can be a tough hunt with a less than 10 percent hunter success rate. The more time and effort you scout to find fresh sign the better off you will be.

One piece of advice I give to deer hunters is that 80 percent of your time should be scouting. 20 percent hunting. If you want to harvest deer consistently, you need to put yourself in the best place possible then sit in a stand there. Finding (or gaining access) to that best place takes most of the time

Last edited:
Join a sportsmans club. Preferably not one with a bar, as they are usually for drinkers not hunters.

Huh? Both clubs in Concord have bars and some serious hunters. The Game Dinner at CR&G is a huge event that sells out early every year.
I can’t stand the blanket statement by many on here who are anti bar.

Back
Top Bottom