2 California police officers who shot unarmed black man won't face charges

Reptile

NES Member
Prosecutors in California have decided not to charge two police officers who fatally shot an unarmed black man last year, saying the “shooting was lawful.”

Sacramento County District Attorney Marie Schubert announced on Saturday that Officers Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet would not face criminal charges in the March 18 death of Stephon Clark after an independent review of the case found that the pair used lethal force lawfully.

The 61-page review conducted by the prosecutor's office stated that Mercadal and Robinet “had honest and reasonable belief that they were in imminent danger of death or great bodily injury.”

2 California police officers who shot unarmed black man won't face charges, prosecutors say

He dindu muffin.

I saw video clips of this one, the police shouldn't have fired. That said the perp shouldn't have run or disregarded commands either. Pulling the trigger because you are scared is a bad plan, it is my understanding he had a I phone in his hand. The cops involved should loose their right to be an LEO. It's just a tough bad all around thing.

I saw video clips of this one, the police shouldn't have fired. That said the perp shouldn't have run or disregarded commands either. Pulling the trigger because you are scared is a bad plan, it is my understanding he had a I phone in his hand. The cops involved should loose their right to be an LEO. It's just a tough bad all around thing.

I kind of agree, I mean I understand they were searching for a reported perp but to surprise a guy in his backyard, and the kid was likely freaked out and moved towards them to explain why he was in his grandmothers back yard. It’s shitty all around but I don’t see it as a murder as the protesters are saying.

Unless people who aren't cops won't be prosecuted for similar things, why should they be treated so differently?

It's really asinine that cops are given both broader leeway in using force and held to lower standards at the same time. Asinine.
Noticed how long they waited until the uproar from the African American community died down before they made the announcement. If this continues, there will be more revenge killings of cops.

These types of cases 20-20 hindsight are both common and useless. Split second decisions. Justifiable is not the best term in many of these cases. Understandable, predictable are factual outcomes most of the time. Crime ridden neighborhood, career criminal, running through neighborhoods breaking windows, running from police, night time, dark object in hand, guy ends up dead,,,,,understandable and predictable.

Joe home owner would be in state prison for the same act.

Why is it that Joe home owner is not offered these statements?

"We must recognize that they are often forced to make split-second decisions and we must recognize that they are under tense, uncertain and rapidly evolving circumstances," Schubert said on Saturday.

“had honest and reasonable belief that they were in imminent danger of death or great bodily injury.”

That looked like a bad situation to be in all round. Poor lighting, not one word from the dead guy. They look around the corner, see the man, yell gun, then gun, gun, gun , the bang, bang, bang etc..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom