2 guns that needs to be brought home

I got my LTCA earlier this year from a red town IE. restricted.
I have 2 guns that I want to bring home, a Ruger 10/22 and a Remington 308. The 22 is at my grandfather's house (semi inheritance, no one in the family wants it) and the 308 is at my property in VA.
Can I drive to each property and bring them back without getting into trouble?

Can't they both be shipped to an FFL here?
Yes, and I believe they would need to unless the OP has incorrectly described the situation and he already owned them.

Not a lawyer, but inheritance requires death and either a will or an executor to act in place of a will and on behalf of the departed.

Transfer of ownership of firearms across state lines, absent genuine inheritance requires an FFL.

If the guns we given to you while you were a resident of VA, then that is another matter, you can bring your own guns in.

A lot of this is covered in the gun law forum.

Last edited:
More information is needed:
Did the .22 go directly from the estate to you or did someone else inherit that now doesn't want it?
In what state is your grandfather's house?
Do you own the .308?

Here is the sticky on inheritance.

ETA: inheritance link.

Last edited:
More information is needed:
Did the .22 go directly from the estate to you or did someone else inherit that now doesn't want it?
In what state is your grandfather's house?
Do you own the .308?

I owned the .308 since since 90s, I brought it to VA before my FID expired, I went to register it with the staties but the popo said don't bother me so it was not registered. It was a FTF sale and I may have the bill of sale some where.
The .22 was my grandfather's who passed away in 88 and the gun has been sitting there in Maine. There was no will but he did want me to have it, all verbal.

If you resided in VA, the .308 can just be brought in and a FA10 filed.
If you've always been a MA resident and the gun was purchased in MA then stored out-of-state, I'm not sure whether a FA10 is now required.

I don't know how the 22 should be handled. It all depends on how the estate was distributed.
If you're not the current owner, it has to be transferred through a FFL in either state.

If you resided in VA, the .308 can just be brought in and a FA10 filed.
If you've always been a MA resident and the gun was purchased in MA then stored out-of-state, I'm not sure whether a FA10 is now required.

No FA10 required for either case.

What guns? [wink]

IANAL nor do I know very much about MA law because is was written by idiots.

In my opinion the .308 can be brought into MA with no issue. The .22 would require a fa-10 (inheritance) or ffl.

Back
Top Bottom