2 men arrested, several weapons recovered after South Boston traffic stop

"
When they drove into the Murphy Skating Rink about 3 p.m., officers stopped their vehicle and allegedly recovered a .223-caliber Palmetto Armory/PA-15 AR-15 rifle, a 9mm Taurus PT92 AF handgun, a .22 caliber Walther P22, a long-barreled Thompson Arms Co./Encore pistol and several rounds of ammunition.

Both men are expected to be arraigned in South Boston District Court on multiple charges including unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, possession of an unlicensed assault rifle, and violating the City of Boston Assault Weapons Act of 1989."

learned that Glenn Lacedra, 58, of Revere, and Dominick Bailey, 54, of Vershire, Vermont, were transporting weapons from Vermont to Boston to sell or trade them, according to Boston police.

Good ol straw purchasing...

Both men are expected to be arraigned in South Boston District Court on multiple charges including unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, possession of an unlicensed assault rifle, and violating the City of Boston Assault Weapons Act of 1989."

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone charged with violating that city ordinance. Looks like both are already PPs due to previous felonies and still walking around without a care in the world.

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone charged with violating that city ordinance. Looks like both are already PPs due to previous felonies and still walking around without a care in the world.
That's because Vermont is soooo liberal that the Dept. of Corrections tries to keep everyone out on the street. Commit a violation of house arrest, probation or parole? Back out in a matter of weeks to a matter of months.

Me too. I recall asking Glidden about this many years ago and he told me that the City of Boston General Counsel didn't think that anyone was ever prosecuted for this and said counsel didn't believe it was enforceable.

It'll probably be thrown out by a judge.

It'll probably be thrown out by a judge.

The ordinance as written only applies to residents so I expect it to. I'm sure both clowns will be quietly let off with probation or some other trivial slap in a few months when no one is paying attention so that they can do it all over again.

All I can think of is that the DA wanted the headline to look like they were being tough enforcing something they never do.

what is an "unlicensed assault rifle"?

the media slips in scary terms and then we have new anti laws?

what is an "unlicensed assault rifle"?

the media slips in scary terms and then we have new anti laws?

In Boston there is an AWB ordinance from 1989 that requires a license for their definition of assault rifles. That license was only available for a month before a deadline and issued to 200 people. So it's a license you need under the ordinance which can no longer be issued under the ordinance.

In Boston there is an AWB ordinance from 1989 that requires a license for their definition of assault rifles. That license was only available for a month before a deadline and issued to 200 people. So it's a license you need under the ordinance which can no longer be issued under the ordinance.
thank you for that explanation.

It was available by statute for a month but in practice I think the actual forms were only available the last few days. The number I heard at the time was 125, but that may not be correct since it came from the news media.

Back
Top Bottom