2 retired state troopers indicted for illegally disposing of department weapons, accepting free guns

200 weapons .
How freaking arrogant do you have to be to think that was going to wash ?
It might be a while before someone noticed one, maybe two, but 200 ? JFC these guys had to be mental.

Not mental, they knew about other crazy shit others got away with and figured what they were doing wasn't going to be a problem.

Wilmot collected about 200 obsolete weapons (rifles, shotguns and handguns) at the armory, and sent them to Jurek after tagging nine weapons, indicating that they were interested in them, and later were given those weapons by Jurek at no cost.
Guys, this reeks of the same scam that got DEC Salvage closed down.
Employees that wanted to steal working valuable capital equipment
would get it tagged as "obsolete".
They would then bribe the guys at Salvage to set aside the gear
so that it wasn't available for regular purchase.

Heads rolled when the scam was uncovered.
Salvage was henceforth sent out of the area to commercial wholesalers.
And all the honest salvage pickers were gobsmacked they could not longer
prowl the shelves for PDP-11 boards, etc.

ETA: Bonus irony: IIRC, DEC Salvage was located just a hike away from
the MSP Concord barracks, which are depicted in that 2016 news article.

It helps to remember that there are many like this one...

...who are the problem. They (like he) have a belief that any any police interaction was earned and all indiscretions are comparable to any other workplace.

You’re too easy. It was a joke as I stated before. These two knuckleheads clearly f’d up and now will pay the consequences as they should. Hopefully your panties didn’t get wadded too much

They can do a 20/50 split for retirement. They fall under "group 3"
So they can do 20 yrs and retire with a 50% pension.
Group Classification Overview (MSRB)

I'm wondering if Troy Industries also doubled as one of those bonded warehouses.
Wow. I work for the state but I have to put in at least 30 years before I can retire. I’ll be 61 and get 52.5%. I suspect I’ll be working beyond 61.

Wow. I work for the state but I have to put in at least 30 years before I can retire. I’ll be 61 and get 52.5%. I suspect I’ll be working beyond 61.

Same, I'm in the pee-on group.
But lets not confuse retire with draw-on.
If I don't choke someone out before I'm 48, I'll have 20 in.
I'll move, gain employment elsewhere (master med/hvy duty/ school bus tech,hopefully won't be too hard to get scooped up) and wait till I'm 55 before I start drawing on it. It'll only give me 30%, but it goes a lot farther in other states.

Not mental, they knew about other crazy shit others got away with and figured what they were doing wasn't going to be a problem.

I think that's where the arrogance factor comes in.
Plus once you get things up to the level where the feds enter into the picture , you can kiss off any state connections that might have intervened to save your ass.

There are four retirement groups in MA. Which I figured every municipal employee knows, but maybe I'm wrong. Which group you fall into depends on what your job classification is. MSP and DOC officers fall into "Group 3". I don't think that there are any other agencies in that group.

Oh, the MBTA and MassPort have their own retirement systems because technically they are "authority" employees. Teachers have their own system, and I think the courts do as well.

Im skeptical that the charges are from The Attorneys Generals Office and not the ATF. Something does not smell right. Can anyone remember when the Attorney Generals office of Maura Healys ever filed any charges to any state office or their employees or ex employees , me neither. detail scam was the feds.

Last edited:
Im skeptical that the charges are from The Attorneys Office and not the ATF. Something does not smell right. Can anyone remember when the Attorney Generals office of Maura Healys ever filed any charges to any state office or their employees or ex employees , me neither. detail scam was the feds.
I agree it's rare. But the charges are from the AG, Peter Mullin is the Assistant AG who is prosecuting.

Federal agencies file their cases in federal courts, not MA state courts. I don't know what federal firearms laws they might have violated, so an ATF investigation of the troopers seems unlikely. If anything, I'd think that the FBI Public Corruption Squad would be the federal agency to investigate what could be considered theft of state property.

I've never seen anything that makes me think that Maura Healey has any love for police of any kind or from any agency.

Im skeptical that the charges are from The Attorneys Office and not the ATF. Something does not smell right. Can anyone remember when the Attorney Generals office of Maura Healys ever filed any charges to any state office or their employees or ex employees , me neither. detail scam was the feds.

Good catch, has to be the same case.
3 Troopers involved in the scam in that story, 2 Troopers charged in this story.
What are the odds that the Trooper that wasn't charged fingered the other 2?

I don't think they stole the 200 Hundred Firearms.

It sounds like they traded the 200 guns to Jerek Brothers for Department Credit toward new guns for the PD, but then had Jerek Brothers slide the 3 troopers back half a dozen of the guns as a payoff. If they filled out 4473s with Jerek Brothers, the transaction would be kosher with the ATF, thus they had to be charged in state district court, not Federal court.
The same goes for the Troy Rifles, they were a bribe.

The 1033 Program M16s that were mentioned by others in this thread that some departments have are in fact still owned by the US Government and are only on lone to those departments.

Disposing of them other than turning them back in to the Government or transferring them to another Department is a big no no and would be found out in the yearly audit.

The Upper receivers and Magazines they took were just plain theft. They would be charged the same for stealing an equivalent dollar value worth of light bulbs.

But the "Assault Rifle Uppers" and "High Power" Magazines are a much sexier headline.

AG: 2 retired state troopers indicted for illegally disposing of department weapons, accepting free guns

BOSTON (WHDH) - Two retired state troopers are facing criminal charges after allegedly taking free guns that they were supposed to be disposing of and accepting free personalized weapons from a prospective vendor, Attorney General Maura Healey’s Office announced.

Former state police Lt. Paul M. Wosny, 50, of Norfolk, and former trooper Michael G. Wilmot, 59, of Sturbridge, will each be arraigned in East Brookfield District Court on a charge of using their official position to obtain an unwarranted privilege, according to Healey’s Office.

Prosecutors allege that while working at the department’s armory in New Braintree in 2013, they received from Troy Industries Inc. two Trooper Carbine rifles to Wilmot for free — one for him and one for Wosny — that were customized with their state police ID numbers as the rifles’ serial numbers.

At the time, Troy Industries, of West Springfield, was looking to become a state police vendor.

Then, in 2015, Wosny allegedly decided, without the knowledge or approval of his supervisors, to do an exchange of state police weapons with Jurek Bros., a firearms dealer and state police vendor in Greenfield, for store credit toward the purchase of new weapons.

Wilmot collected about 200 obsolete weapons (rifles, shotguns and handguns) at the armory, and sent them to Jurek after tagging nine weapons, indicating that they were interested in them, and later were given those weapons by Jurek at no cost.

Wosny and Wilmot then allegedly submitted false and misleading reports in which they failed to disclose that they had gotten weapons back from Jurek at no charge.

Wosny was transferred out of the armory in September 2015.

In October 2015, prosecutors say Wilmot took from the armory four Colt upper receivers; over 100 high capacity plastic magazines; and approximately 23 Troy upper receivers.

In November 2015, Wilmot and Wosny met at the armory, where Wosny allegedly took three of the Troy upper receivers and Wilmot retained 2 Colt uppers, over 100 high capacity plastic magazines, and 13-15 Troy uppers.

Wilmot is scheduled to be arraigned in East Brookfield District Court on Nov. 1 and Wosny on Dec. 5.

Andrew, you take that 2019 State COI training?
They'll get a slap on the wrist, and in 2020 all the Group 1 peons will have a friendly reminder that we cant accept gifts worth over $50 while performing our duties.
[bs2]

Exactly, jealousy is a horrible thing.

If, as is being speculated, someone dropped a dime on the two troopers who allegedly were taking kickbacks, then I’m thankful to whoever dropped a dime. People here on NES say that cops shouldn’t protect dirty cops. If these troopers did, in fact, take kickbacks, then they are dirty and deserve to have the book thrown at them.

Troy Industries allegedly prepared false records, relating to the carbines given to Wilmot and Wosny, stating they were transferred on Aug. 21, 2013, to First Defense Firearms Inc. of Uxbridge, operated by Dennis Doti, a Massachusetts State Police trooper.

If, as is being speculated, someone dropped a dime on the two troopers who allegedly were taking kickbacks, then I’m thankful to whoever dropped a dime. People here on NES say that cops shouldn’t protect dirty cops. If these troopers did, in fact, take kickbacks, then they are dirty and deserve to have the book thrown at them.

Sounds to me like Doti was the one who dropped the dime.

“Wilmot collected about 200 obsolete weapons”

Wtf is an obsolete weapon? Hope they actually get some type of punishment for this
It means there were 200 weapons that th mass state police had decided to replace with new weapons. From westers online dictionary:

"to be or become obsolete by replacing it with something new."

These a**h***s were supposed to turn all of them in and worked and underhand deal with jurek to have 9 of them given to them.

Back
Top Bottom