• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2 shows in Ct. Help me choose.

looking to go to a gun show in Ct. I see two on the weekend of Jan 7-8th

1. East coast fine arms show, Stanford

2. Big Als shows, Danbury

Which is bigger? Better?

If your familar with one of these promoters or both I'd appreciate some advice on which to go to.
I agree with everyone in the rant thread.
I want to see guns, not beani babies.
Intrests run more along hunting guns than ars but intrested in all.
thanks for any input!

I am not familiar with either promoter and it has been >25 years since I attended a gun show in CT, but I will offer a few generalities.

- It is suicidal for there to be two shows the same days so close together! Stamford and Danbury are 32 miles apart. Doing this, cuts the number of vendors that either show can book, as well as the number of patrons paying to go to the show.

- Try to find out (call the promoter if need be) how many tables will be at each show. Deduct a healthy %-age to cover for the "fisherman's tape measure" that promoters use in advertising.

- It might be possible for you to hit both shows the same day.

Thank You Len S.
Im going to call both on Monday, I figured today was a little rude and may not reach someone anyway.
Hitting both is a good idea..
Thanks again

Do report back what you find out.

I can tell you that the NY promoter who brings shows to MA (and a few venues in CT as well) seems to be running 50-60% of advertised capacity at the shows. The one in W. Springfield that I attended in May had ~300 tables (I did a rough count) vs. the advertisements that stated 600 tables.

The acid test for her (Carole is the promoter) is to see how full the Marlboro, MA show is, as that is an excellent venue and should sell 500 tables unless some other reason kicks in (I know some dealers who refuse to do her shows any more and a PA dealer used to take ~10 tables/show).

thanks!
I will let everyone know how it or they go.
Hey, you know, the last show for me in CT. was about 25 years ago also.
That would have been the Stratford armory. There was one we went to a few times outside of Hartford on 84 East but I forget where that was exactly.
Getting back into it.
2 young boys getting savage youth single shot 22s in the morning will do that to a dad. LOL
I hope to gain some more insite from you all here and attend some of the bigger shows this year.

I attended one at the Stratford Armory back then. My focus back then and today are totally different, not to mention that most of the dealers from back then are probably long gone from the business.

CT,

Reading my latest copy of the American Rifleman, I see that the Stamford gun show is run my Newmart Productions. That is Carole who I referred to above. So my comments about "expect ~50-60% of advertised tables" is probably close to the mark.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the info. Any mention on size?
What are her shows like normally? Why do some refuse to sell there?

I belive Stratford armory still has a show every now and then.

Newmart Promotions

Len - any word on why some dealers won't go to the Newmart shows? I have had a table at the January show (the USPSA / practical shooting competition table), and have always found that show to be very accomodating. I always get the locaiton I ask for (the only year I got a bad location was when I forgot to ask), and I never have to use the long extension cord I bring just in case my request for a table near a power outlet gets misprocessed.

The quick way to gauge the Marlborough show is where the put the moveable wall (cloth screen) on the left side of the building.

CTtrapper said:
Thanks for the info. Any mention on size?
What are her shows like normally? Why do some refuse to sell there?

I belive Stratford armory still has a show every now and then.

NRA mag only lists basic info. Promoter ads usually list size of show. Check Gun List and SGN for those ads.

Promoters of shows (generalization: I worked computer shows and gun shows for years) seem to really piss off many of their vendors. Some finally refuse to deal with them any more. Some reasons:

- Security promised (24x7 for goods left overnight) was non-existent from a practical point of view (I witnessed some of these issues at Rockingham Park).

- Relegating a regular customer of many tables to a bad area of a hall, or a tiny area where he can't fit his goods.

- Threatening that if they don't do all the promoter's shows, they will lose their tables, be put in poorly trafficked area, etc.

- Telling vendors what they can't sell at tables. e.g. Big E won't allow sales of any loaded ammo inside buildings!

The above might give you some idea of the friction that can cause these problems. I've yet to hear any vendor say that they really enjoy working with a show promoter.

Rob,

My response should give you some ideas of why folks don't like Newmart. Anything more specific than that is probably left to personal conversation that doesn't leave impressions on hard drives! :)

I do know that GOAL did not get a table at the Marlboro show one year. I heard both sides of the story when I went there and asked Carole directly, after having talked with Jim Wallace earlier. It was a "he said, she said" deal

Carole = Newmart

If Carole that was being referred to in previous posts is the person behind the show promoter Newmart, and I use the term 'show' loosely, her business practices as evidenced by her show at Rockingham are a disappointment. Everything from the small number of tables to the Nazi and KKK items to the flea market junk was a disappointment, that is really the only way their show can be described.

Thanks Stosh. Appreciate the comments.
Niether promotor answered the phone today so I'll try again tommorrow.

The stanford show (east coast fine arms stated 250 tables)
Big Als was up front about a smaller show but stressed the quality and affordability.
I plan to hit Big Als first and then Stanford hopefully 2nd.
I'll follow up w/my impressions after we go.
thanks everyone.

I attended the Springfield show at trhe Big E 12/10. I think it was run by Big Al. Looked like about 60-70 tables. Fair amount of mil surplus tables. If you're into that black powder deerskin clothes, powder horns stuff then you might like this show. Seemed more rifles than pistols.

I'd rate it a C, but I'm a pistol bigot.

I attended the Springfield show at trhe Big E 12/10. I think it was run by Big Al. Looked like about 60-70 tables. Fair amount of mil surplus tables. If you're into that black powder deerskin clothes, powder horns stuff then you might like this show. Seemed more rifles than pistols.

I'm going to try to go to both shows this weekend too the one in Stamford and Danbury. The Stamford show is run by Westchester Collectors Inc.

The best show to go to for the Big E in W.Springfield, Mass is the fall gun show in October its the biggest one of the year there.

The Durham gun show at the Durham fair grounds is a small show but it has had some good finds if you get there early.

There is a little gun show in Newington/South Windsor its been moving between two different places every year. And I hope it continues and continues to grow too.

There was one at the K of C in Meridan but i haven't seen it listed lately so i'm not sure if they don't do it anymore or not. It was another great small show with good finds there too.

The hartford gun show was at the EXPO center we seem to have lost this show for some reason.

We seem to be losing more and more gun shows. I try to go to everyone so they keep it going the more attendance the better.

Thanks Bill.
I went to both today so I thought Id follow up w/my opinions.
Big Als was first.
I talked to him prior and I'll say he was honest about the size.
about 100 tables. this was more of a working mans show. Some good guns but a fair amount of stuff I could care less about. 8 tables of jerky and hot sauce,nazi crap etc.
8$ worth it? Sure, Its fun to walk around. A lot of the military stuff was seperate from the other items so that was nice.
Overall, prices seemed a little high on guns across the board. I saw my new 45 there for 60$ more than what I paid for it in a gun shop.

The fine arms show in Stanford was just that. More $4000 and up winchester 94s and fine double shotguns than you could look at. The big tit blond at a lot of the tabels to catch your eye and the dealers seemd more like they worked in a jewery store or investment office. Very classy but I was afraid the kids were going to knock into something.
Very high priced. High end goods a lot of it but still seemed high compared to prices Im seeing in the books.
nice to look at but dont touch...lol

In the end, we went to Hoffmans and bought a gun.

I was at the Stamford show. I was WAY out of my league in there. Just to give everybody an idea of the items and prices; a dealer there sold a tomohawk on Saturday for $85,000! No joke. A lot of the dealers (the ones who thought they were the British gentry wearing their English shooting vests) had a habit of looking down their noses at some of us peasants roaming the aisles.

had a habit of looking down their noses at some of us peasants roaming the aisles.

Yup!! you were there, lol

Back
Top Bottom