• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Hunting Thread

Took my 5 year old son hunting today for pheasant. Didn't see anything, but watching him stumble through high grass made me think of something. Pheasant hunting families are the only people out there who don't get worried to hear that their son was tripping on grass all day.
Ever think of trying for squirrel with your boy? That's how I got my sons started and we been very successful. This season the population seems to be very high this year we have been out five times and have harvested at least 2 on each outing. Just a suggestion.

Took my 5 year old son hunting today for pheasant.

S'hmp?

================

Got the girls out for a late afternoon hunt yesterday. There were a few people already out but we had the place to ourselves towards the end of the day. This pointer could use some refresher training on retrieves, but she located a quite a few birds. The little cocker was having a tough time keeping up. We must've put up a half dozen birds on the way back to the truck, after bagging our take.

View attachment 181672
View attachment 181671

My first deer. Finally I can call myself a hunter not some twat that sits in a tree with a bow.

6e1595b66c08978e7f322fb546a2e169.jpg

88a4cca94e3152f73c6552473a9113a4.jpg

For the critics, you see the exit wound. My 15 yard shot hit esophagus, lung, and liver. He ran 50 yards and dropped.

Last edited:
My first deer. Finally I can call myself a hunter not some twat that sits in a tree with a bow.

For the critics, you see the exit wound. My 15 yard shot hit esophagus, lung, and liver. He ran 50 yards and dropped.

CONGRATS [cheers]

Thanks guys. The whole thing was surreal. I'm a self taught hunter and passed on over 2 dozen deer that I didn't have a tag for the last 4 years. Mostly does in the wrong zone for my antlerless tag. It's a rush having them close but deciding to shoot is a whole other level.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Congratulations! I'm hoping for the first deer of my own this year. Trip to NC on the 17th and then shotgun season up here

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Did you shoot it twice? Looks like there's 2 wounds on the same side of the animal in the bottom picture. Just curious. The bottom picture looks like it has a wound right behind the shoulder but a bit high, maybe a spine shot. The top pic looks like there's an exit but no wound behind the shoulder like the top pic.. Just curious what kind of shot angle it was if that was only a single shot.. Quartering towards with the deer looking to it's left?

If that shot was your intent then you're a better shot than me. I pass when they're quartering towards. Too much bone between you and the vitals and too small a shot window.

Last edited:
Southern Alabama close to the Florida border

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh, pretty close to where I was raised. Love the Florida panhandle, even though you are not hunting that area.

Congrats on the tag out.

Congrats ASP!

Saw another small buck and a doe yesterday morning, both saw me but did not know what the hell the were looking at. Nothing in the evening sit.

Did you shoot it twice? Looks like there's 2 wounds on the same side of the animal in the bottom picture. Just curious. The bottom picture looks like it has a wound right behind the shoulder but a bit high, maybe a spine shot. The top pic looks like there's an exit but no wound behind the shoulder like the top pic.. Just curious what kind of shot angle it was if that was only a single shot.. Quartering towards with the deer looking to it's left?

If that shot was your intent then you're a better shot than me. I pass when they're quartering towards. Too much bone between you and the vitals and too small a shot window.

One shot, Quartered facing me and looking to its left exactly like you pictured. At 15 yards that does not bother me. I would not attempt that shot at 40 tho. I was concerned with hitting the shoulder blade like you said so I aimed a little further back than I would have otherwise liked to so that I was sure I missed all that bone. It went through the top of one lung, the liver and out just barely below the opposite side ribs. No spine. Possible that the stomach got hit too because it was pretty pungent in there. Again, a weird angle. He gave me a perfect broadside when he was 25 yards away but I didn't like how many twigs were in the way so I passed on that and he worked his way to me. It's funny, he didn't run till I moved. So lesson learned... Stay as quiet as you can even after the shot. I should have known that but at the time it didn't occur to me. I watched where he went and sat back down for another excruciating half hour to make sure he expired in place and didn't try to keep running... But I have a feeling he didn't take long to die and that's really what you want anyway.

Funny (to me) is that he came in from my right and I'm right handed. So when he was 40 yards away and behind some brush I stood up and turned around, facing the tree so I could get a shot in that direction. I drew and eased down at least 3 times when I wasn't sure if I liked the view he was giving me before finally taking a shot, too. He was making his way behind my tree so I had a limited window.

Also, thanks for the kind words everyone

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats! Nothin like getting your first one. You did the right thing waiting. Seen to many people go after them right away and they can run a damn long way on adrenaline.

Congrats on the first deer asp!! Sounds like an exciting hunt. Yup, you nailed it stay quiet and still after the shot, sometimes they don't really know what happened and will linger in the area or just slowly walk away.

Cold sit so far. Had to pass on a doe at 10 yards. Too much junk in the way. Wind was swirling a bit and she got wind of me and went bounding off... When the season is over I'm going to have a lot of reflection on all the shots I've passed this year. This must be at least the 6th or 7th deer I let walk.

IMG_0072.jpg Put this doe down last night! Came in and missed the first shot, she was a little too close she ran ten yards and gave me a good quartering away shot at 18yds!

I took my daughter last night for a sit up in NH. Had a fat little 4pt show up. It was my first successful hunt with my daughter so it was amazing. Unfortunately I made the call to back out for a couple of hours after bumping him while on the blood trail so I took her home and went back in later. Bummed she wasn't with me but given the time and an unknown in front of me I made the call. Missed the heart by an inch and took out the right lung. Straight on shot at 110 yards. I was aiming a little higher but worked out in the end!

Back
Top Bottom