• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

AK:
Target 1: 82-0x
Target 2: 88-1x
Target 3: 90-0x
AR:
Target 1: 88-0x
Target 2: 89-0x
Target 3: 89-1x
Target 4: 90-0x
Target 5: 91-0x

Chores/errands on Friday took longer than expected, so I didn't end up with as much time as anticipated. I brought the WASR, my M16A1 clone and the Saiga, although the Saiga gave me pretty good cheekslap so I set it aside after the first practice magazine; I changed stocks last night and might get an East German surplus one to match the handguards; we'll see. Slim chance I can take it out tomorrow.

First up, the mighty WASR:
WASR.jpg

I shot six total targets with it, but between forgetting photos/tearing/sporadic rain, only three were salvageable.
wasr-82.jpg AK-88.jpg AK-90.jpg

I also like collecting different mags.
AK-mags.jpg
From left to right: Soviet bakelite, Hungarian tanker, Tapco (sucks), Chinese flat back, Romanian.
The bakelite is my favorite although the Hungarian tankers are really cool, too.
bake.jpg

Swapping over to the AR was quite pleasant; between the much easier sights and the lighter cartridge, I did slightly better overall. Prior to this trip, I had only shot about 60 rounds out of this AR so I still had some sighting in to do.
AR-2.jpg

Brought a variety of mags of course:
AR-mags.jpg
PMAG, US contractor teflon coated (D&H), US contractor 20rd (top, Okay Ind), Thermold (bottom), USGI preban (Parsons), US contractor dry coat (Okay Ind).

The front sight tool worked better than expected. The rear sight drum is super stiff and required a lot of work to move it. In the end, I think I just about got it correct, but a few of the targets, if a little higher, would have scored much better. I tried a few different brands of ammo, and if I standardized it might've improved, too.

I always considered myself more of an AK guy, but the targets don't lie and I shot the AR better.

AR-88.jpg AR-89.jpg AR-89-2.jpg AR-90.jpg AR-91.jpg

All in all not a bad time but the weather could have been a bit better. That's why this is Winter Warrior after all.

mags.jpg

I did end up giving myself a nice blood blister with the AK charging handle when I was careless with my thumb when holding the magwell. Picture definitely taken to include cat in the background.
thumb.jpg

Next up will be the service grade M1 to cover all my milsurp rifles (except the CMP special which might not make it).

AK:
Target 1: 82-0x
Target 2: 88-1x
Target 3: 90-0x
AR:
Target 1: 88-0x
Target 2: 89-0x
Target 3: 89-1x
Target 4: 90-0x
Target 5: 91-0x

Chores/errands on Friday took longer than expected, so I didn't end up with as much time as anticipated. I brought the WASR, my M16A1 clone and the Saiga, although the Saiga gave me pretty good cheekslap so I set it aside after the first practice magazine; I changed stocks last night and might get an East German surplus one to match the handguards; we'll see. Slim chance I can take it out tomorrow.

First up, the mighty WASR:
View attachment 269969

I shot six total targets with it, but between forgetting photos/tearing/sporadic rain, only three were salvageable.
View attachment 269971 View attachment 269972 View attachment 269973

I also like collecting different mags.
View attachment 269974
From left to right: Soviet bakelite, Hungarian tanker, Tapco (sucks), Chinese flat back, Romanian.
The bakelite is my favorite although the Hungarian tankers are really cool, too.
View attachment 269977

Swapping over to the AR was quite pleasant; between the much easier sights and the lighter cartridge, I did slightly better overall. Prior to this trip, I had only shot about 60 rounds out of this AR so I still had some sighting in to do.
View attachment 269979

Brought a variety of mags of course:
View attachment 269980
PMAG, US contractor teflon coated (D&H), US contractor 20rd (top, Okay Ind), Thermold (bottom), USGI preban (Parsons), US contractor dry coat (Okay Ind).

The front sight tool worked better than expected. The rear sight drum is super stiff and required a lot of work to move it. In the end, I think I just about got it correct, but a few of the targets, if a little higher, would have scored much better. I tried a few different brands of ammo, and if I standardized it might've improved, too.

I always considered myself more of an AK guy, but the targets don't lie and I shot the AR better.

View attachment 269983 View attachment 269984 View attachment 269985 View attachment 269986 View attachment 269987

All in all not a bad time but the weather could have been a bit better. That's why this is Winter Warrior after all.

View attachment 269988

I did end up giving myself a nice blood blister with the AK charging handle when I was careless with my thumb when holding the magwell. Picture definitely taken to include cat in the background.
View attachment 269989

Next up will be the service grade M1 to cover all my milsurp rifles (except the CMP special which might not make it).

Great pics and nice shooting! You should be GTG once matches start up in the spring. [thumbsup]

Unless the rifle just does not shoot well you should shoot Aperture style sights better than a notch. Its just easier for your eye/brain to center up the front post looking through a circle. Of course until your eye sight begins to suck and you see strange cobwebs through the peep!!! i have a gray blob floating around the center of my peeps under .050"

Unless the rifle just does not shoot well you should shoot Aperture style sights better than a notch. Its just easier for your eye/brain to center up the front post looking through a circle. Of course until your eye sight begins to suck and you see strange cobwebs through the peep!!! i have a gray blob floating around the center of my peeps under .050"

Years ago I bought a peep sight setup for my MAK90. I don't remember the maker of the sight but it was just a replacement rear leaf, with the aperture instead of the U-notch. I ended up putting the original sight back on only because the replacement part would randomly fall out if you tilted the assembly too far up/forward. The peep sight was fine for range work, and I think I was able to get better groups with it, but my reasoning was; It's AK. It needs to be able to be ran over by tank, tossed out of 5th story window, submerged in pig shit and still function 100% without parts falling off of it. ;)

I don't know when I'll be able to re-do my AR submission and get a few other entries in. Crazy family life stuff going on right now and free time and money is scarce. But I am finally getting around to loading up some .308 with components I've had sitting around for months. As of yet I'd never reloaded anything bottleneck, and the only experience I've had loading rifle rounds is .30carbine and that's just a hot pistol caliber really. It's definitely more involved with bottleneck stuff huh? It took me about two hours to carefully make 16 rounds of .308 the other night after my toddler went to sleep. Maybe it was because I was deliriously tired but I'm thinking it's just me going super slow and careful my first time out. If I can sneak in the time this weekend I'll head to the range with the .308 Garand and AR. I think I still have one or two SR1 targets left that aren't swiss cheese!

Years ago I bought a peep sight setup for my MAK90. I don't remember the maker of the sight but it was just a replacement rear leaf, with the aperture instead of the U-notch. I ended up putting the original sight back on only because the replacement part would randomly fall out if you tilted the assembly too far up/forward. The peep sight was fine for range work, and I think I was able to get better groups with it, but my reasoning was; It's AK. It needs to be able to be ran over by tank, tossed out of 5th story window, submerged in pig shit and still function 100% without parts falling off of it. ;)

I don't know when I'll be able to re-do my AR submission and get a few other entries in. Crazy family life stuff going on right now and free time and money is scarce. But I am finally getting around to loading up some .308 with components I've had sitting around for months. As of yet I'd never reloaded anything bottleneck, and the only experience I've had loading rifle rounds is .30carbine and that's just a hot pistol caliber really. It's definitely more involved with bottleneck stuff huh? It took me about two hours to carefully make 16 rounds of .308 the other night after my toddler went to sleep. Maybe it was because I was deliriously tired but I'm thinking it's just me going super slow and careful my first time out. If I can sneak in the time this weekend I'll head to the range with the .308 Garand and AR. I think I still have one or two SR1 targets left that aren't swiss cheese!

I'm not sure an rear aperture that far from the eye is going to be meaningfully different than the standard AK notch. That far from the eye you aren't going to get much of the benefit of using an aperture, and your sight picture is probably worse than using the notch.

Finally made it to the range this past Sunday. It was a nice and cold 26 degrees Sunday morning when I arrived at the range. I didn't have a lot of time so I brought just my Remington 1903A3 to see how well she would shoot. I ran 4 targets and my top two where:

96 1x
93 4x

I was very surprised that the best scored target for me was my first target that I was using to warm up the rifle. My very first shot was the X in that string. I laughed to myself that it wasn't going to get any better then that and I might as well just pack it up and head home. Though overall I'm pretty happy with the performance of this old warhorse. Next time I'll bring my 91/30 to see if I can match it's performance in last year's competition.

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

It's definitely more involved with bottleneck stuff huh? It took me about two hours to carefully make 16 rounds of .308 the other night after my toddler went to sleep.

I'm a dissenter; I find bottleneck rifle easier to do, although pretty much everyone else seems to say pistol is. Maybe I just find larger components easier to deal with. The exception is 38spl; that's been a joy thus far (did 50 Sunday night).

I'm not sure an rear aperture that far from the eye is going to be meaningfully different than the standard AK notch. That far from the eye you aren't going to get much of the benefit of using an aperture, and your sight picture is probably worse than using the notch.

You are probably right. I did this probably 10 years ago so I don't really recall, but I thought I remembered getting a little better accuracy with it.

M1 150gr vs 168gr battle will have to wait; apparently everyone in the Merrimack Valley decided today was a good range day. There was only one parking spot left at the range. Busiest I've seen it since early November. With my narrow time limit, decided it wouldn't make sense to try it today as I'd either be waiting too long for ceasefires, or, conversely, they'd be called constantly. Doubt I'd be able to recover my brass either. I'll try again tomorrow, and maybe load up some of my factory second 150gr tonight to either act as fodder or another comparison point.

Last edited:
I will say even a large aperture forward of the eye will do better than a Notch. Your eye and brain just like to center things up when it comes to cirlces, especially if you don’t see the rear notch clearly.

Just practiced with the carry piece; ‘37 Detective Special. Left target 25 feet, right 50. Mixed in some single action. Ammo a mix of Federal 158gr LRN and Remington 130gr JSWC. 43F, lots of snow on the ground.

Won’t have the new glasses until next week; eschewed the Garand today as I didn’t feel up to it.

t

Attachments

• DDDACCC1-DB43-46D1-955E-4858F6515369.jpeg
    DDDACCC1-DB43-46D1-955E-4858F6515369.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
DQ'd from my own match anyway, but here's an example why AR's with a free float upper are not OK in this match:

cAdHwvKl.jpg

100 yards iron sights, 100-4X, too much coffee and not shooting my best but still all 10's with room to spare. Factory Sig ammo. Here's how it grouped earlier in the week:

dh6C5dSl.jpg

Above group also iron sights at 100 yards. CMP AR15 new rules for Modern Military forbid optics, drop the weight limit to 7.5 lbs, yet allow a free floated barrel. I'm not going to alter my Winter Warrior rules to match CMP Modern Military next year.

DQ'd from my own match anyway, but here's an example why AR's with a free float upper are not OK in this match:

cAdHwvKl.jpg

100 yards iron sights, 100-4X, too much coffee and not shooting my best but still all 10's with room to spare. Factory Sig ammo. Here's how it grouped earlier in the week:

dh6C5dSl.jpg

Above group also iron sights at 100 yards. CMP AR15 new rules for Modern Military forbid optics, drop the weight limit to 7.5 lbs, yet allow a free floated barrel. I'm not going to alter my Winter Warrior rules to match CMP Modern Military next year.
Very nice shooting.

I was frustrated again today; only one rifle slot open when I got there today; completely mobbed. Maybe a byproduct of February vacation. Pistol shooters as well.

Ended up playing around with my factory second loads with AA2495 on the steel plates, worked well enough.

To add insult to injury everyone cleared out about 10 minutes before I had to go. If I had gone over an hour later than I did, I might've had the range to myself.

We need the snow and cold to come back to frighten all these people away.

Very nice shooting.

I was frustrated again today; only one rifle slot open when I got there today; completely mobbed. Maybe a byproduct of February vacation. Pistol shooters as well.

Ended up playing around with my factory second loads with AA2495 on the steel plates, worked well enough.

To add insult to injury everyone cleared out about 10 minutes before I had to go. If I had gone over an hour later than I did, I might've had the range to myself.

We need the snow and cold to come back to frighten all these people away.

Shhhh.....

Folks will figure out for the minor inconvenience of cold fingers we can have the range to ourselves. :D

I'm planning to slither
Shhhh.....

Folks will figure out for the minor inconvenience of cold fingers we can have the range to ourselves. :D
It's strange because usually the best weather days tend to lead to empty ranges at my two clubs.
I'm planning to slither over again tomorrow but only to run a few mags to see how the new stock feels. The M1 will have to wait until next week. I was hoping to finally start tung oiling the CMP special's stock this weekend; it's been a pile of parts since New Year's.

Too warm to count for this match, mid forties today. Wanted to post anyway, this is a personal best for me!

Colt Sporter Target, 10 rounds slow fire, sling supported prone
96/100, 3x

View attachment 270686
As per the rules if it's freezing/below or there's snow on the ground, it's a valid entry. I think one of my earlier entries was on one of those 50 degree days.

Nice shooting.

Too warm to count for this match, mid forties today. Wanted to post anyway, this is a personal best for me!

Colt Sporter Target, 10 rounds slow fire, sling supported prone
96/100, 3x

View attachment 270686

Great shooting!

If there was snow on the ground it counts!

t

Yep, that's true! Even that long lost little pile of snirt hiding in the shadows of a range parking lot counts.

Finally made it to the range this past Sunday. It was a nice and cold 26 degrees Sunday morning when I arrived at the range. I didn't have a lot of time so I brought just my Remington 1903A3 to see how well she would shoot. I ran 4 targets and my top two where:

96 1x
93 4x

I was very surprised that the best scored target for me was my first target that I was using to warm up the rifle. My very first shot was the X in that string. I laughed to myself that it wasn't going to get any better then that and I might as well just pack it up and head home. Though overall I'm pretty happy with the performance of this old warhorse. Next time I'll bring my 91/30 to see if I can match it's performance in last year's competition.

View attachment 270203

View attachment 270204

Great shooting and beautiful A3! Yeah, that's how it works: hit the X first shot and it all goes downhill from there, LOL.

I need to make some loads for the PU Sniper. I won't use the scope for this, but I know with the right loads that rifle is surprisingly accurate after some tweaks.

My range buddies on Saturday...

20190223_135603.jpg

Decided to shoot my 1895 Chilean Mauser for a few scores. The stock's a bit rough but the bore is fantastic, practically unfired when I got it. I'd say it's the nicest bore out of any of my milsurps. It's not as smooth operating as my Swede but damn can it shoot. The hardest part is finding a consistent point of aim because it shoots a good foot+ high at 100y due to the 400m battlesight. Both targets are shot with factory PPU 139gr soft points.

Target 1 - 94-1x?

20190223_135400.jpg
Apparently my new M39 shoots way high and right hence why I had 2 holes in my Mauser target before I even shot at it

Target 2 - 93-1x

20190223_135457.jpg

One flyer but not too bad...

Target 1: 90-0x

Waited all day for the rain to stop; changed stocks on the Saiga and wanted to try it out. Just kept on drizzling and raining all day; finally gave up and just went.

20190224_164130.jpg
I was the only one there, no surprise. Just barely enough light left. Didn't bring the spotting scope as I was really just planning to shoot a mag or two and leave. Decided to run a SR-1 target out for kicks since I was alone.

Conditions sucked. Aside from the rain, the field was slush everywhere that pretty much entirely submerged my boots. Some deep spots went almost halfway up my shin. My pants were soaked up to my knees.

Nevertheless, ended up with a 90-0x. Better than I expected, honestly. The practice target I shot at 50 (not an SR-1) was low and right so when I shot this target I was basically holding at the staple at the top left. Ended up too high. If I had a spotting scope and was being patient, I might've done better.
20190224_164037.jpg

The Saiga is currently running East German handguards; made on military machinery, so close enough!
20190224_163143.jpg

Looks like a Kalashnikov.

t
Yes, they come in (or used to come in, due to sanctions with Russia they aren't coming in at all) looking like this:
81153_1.jpg

Then you can either leave them that way, get one professionally converted or convert it yourself.
Here's a converted one with a wood stock set:
spgcblackwood.jpg

They are made on the same Kalashnikov Concern machines as the military ones.
On my receiver, it says: MADE IN RUSSIA BY IZHMASH (not mine below, but looks the same):
upload_2019-2-24_22-56-51.png

I put East German surplus handguards on it; tempted to do an East German stock, but they're funky looking (brown and ribbed):
upload_2019-2-24_22-58-18.png

An East German AK could pair with my East German Makarov, ha.

Target 1: 86-1x
Target 2: 85-0x

Third time was sort of a charm. With the wind and the cold, I was assuming it might be a day where they would be no one at the range. After being unable to do the 150gr vs 168gr comparison with the M1 twice before, I was hoping it would work out this time. As I got closer to the club: access road closed due to downed trees.

There is, however, a "back way." Took about 15 minutes worth of driving but I made, and there indeed was no one there. However, the result was really needing to speed up my trip. I had about 25 minutes to unload, run targets, shoot, collect targets and pack.

20190226_144054.jpg

I took mac's suggestion and went round robin style; two shots per target, switching back and forth.
To be honest, I think it messed me up. I know on the 168gr target two of the flyers were after switching back. I found I had to hold slightly differently on the two, and you can see the difference on the 150 being more to the right with hits.

168.jpg 150.jpg

I know I am capable of better. I still have 10 rounds left of each batch and I am hoping to do another trip where I don't need to rush and there isn't as much wind. I think for those, I'll do 10 each without rotating back and forth.

m1.jpg

This leaves only my CMP special as a true milsurp rifle I haven't done a target with. I am doing tung oil on the stock. Heading down to do coat 3 on the upper hand guard and coat 2 on the lower handguard. It will be cutting it close due to waiting between coats, but maybe it'll be done by the 20th so I can take it out before the Equinox.

Back
Top Bottom