• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

Garand is still downstairs amongst the new kitchen cabinets and other stuff. Have a little cart so I don't exceed any weight limits. Deconstruction of the kitchen and bath supposed to start Monday.....delayed once for my heart attack and again as the plumber got a hernia. Monday might work out....

Florida LTC a step closer to reality...got a letter that my picture did not meet specifications...will end another off Monday.

Note the little calico sleeping on the radiator....14 years old last Saturday...less than 5 pounds.

t

Had to look twice to find the calico! You doing OK, considering the recovery?

*Next winter, I'm adding a rule that all participants are forbidden to flat-line!

I don't think he's a regular Varget guy, maybe he is, but the load he gave me was just a little higher than what I use.
Yeah theres some old habbits, one of the older guys at hanson still loads 175s to 2700fps with 48 grains 4064...absolutely no need at 100 yards!
I have been looking for some nice 125-135 30 cals to go on sale. Those nosler 130 varmigedon in the garand and 1903a3 where nice smooth shooting and just missed gold with them to X count !!!!

Put this in the funny pic thread but thought it belongs here too:

52498762_2005038972933724_8438608097999585280_n.jpg

97/100 2X
Yugo 59/66 - bought a while back as "un issued like new" all matching #s
Golden Tiger ammo- this stuff is pretty darn good as far as steel cased ammo goes.

If all goes well I will be laying down a score with my yugo, about as original as they get and it’s definitely my most correct all matching “un issued” rifle.
Should have snagged a few of these when they where cheap err

So I was able to make a fun day of and in the snow
I had fun making Prone Angels
XLQE7gil.jpg

The snow made a great natural support it does not show well but the snow under my support hand was like a nice cold sand bag. I also packed the snow under and around me. taking up that space under your torso and hips with snow really took the pressure off my hips and back. Other than getting a little cold it was very comfy.
p9Y0VGOl.jpg

I brought my spotting scope and actually had some time to zero this rifle. My front sight tool does not fit the yugo very well but GoodNuff.

Splatter target for sight in. The 8 at 10oc was a mid zero flyer ?
vZ1l76al.jpg

FWO2WAzm.jpg

This group took some time and effort, If I did my normal mad lunch dash the out come would have been far worse. My eyes do not like the tiny nib of a front sight and the rear sight was tough. I had to take several breaks to let my eyes rest.
I have about 12 secounds before I loose focus on the rear sight? Then I see "double" its not like cross your eyes double but like a false edge across the top of the front sight. Almost like a false or ghost edge ?? reall sucks

Last edited:
Nice! I may bust out my Russian SKS this weekend. I honestly don’t remember where she hits, it’s been so long. I have some GT 7.62x39 still sitting around I bought over 10 years ago. That’s how little I shoot rifle.
Sunday I plan to put up a new score with the AR and test my very first ever home-rolled .308 loads in the Garand.

awful/100 absolutely no X

CMP MM AR HacBuild-

Left target is PPU M193 upper was orginally zeroed for M193 I did not put windage back to no wind zero if I did I might have had a score. Right target is
Varget and Nolser 69 custom comps. 100 yards bench shot round robin. I did not count well and left one short on the right target

3ZuOu9el.jpg

the rifle- the tape on the upper is the m193 zero info and the tape on the butt stock is my basic come ups for 77gn 200,300,600 yards
vElFa5Tl.jpg

Todays possible entry
Cmp Modern Mil AR,

Last edited:
97/100 2X
Yugo 59/66 - bought a while back as "un issued like new" all matching #s
Golden Tiger ammo- this stuff is pretty darn good as far as steel cased ammo goes.

If all goes well I will be laying down a score with my yugo, about as original as they get and it’s definitely my most correct all matching “un issued” rifle.
Should have snagged a few of these when they where cheap err

So I was able to make a fun day of and in the snow
I had fun making Prone Angels
XLQE7gil.jpg

The snow made a great natural support it does not show well but the snow under my support hand was like a nice cold sand bag. I also packed the snow under and around me. taking up that space under your torso and hips with snow really took the pressure off my hips and back. Other than getting a little cold it was very comfy.
p9Y0VGOl.jpg

I brought my spotting scope and actually had some time to zero this rifle. My front sight tool does not fit the yugo very well but GoodNuff.

Splatter target for sight in. The 8 at 10oc was a mid zero flyer ?
vZ1l76al.jpg

FWO2WAzm.jpg

This group took some time and effort, If I did my normal mad lunch dash the out come would have been far worse. My eyes do not like the tiny nib of a front sight and the rear sight was tough. I had to take several breaks to let my eyes rest.
I have about 12 secounds before I loose focus on the rear sight? Then I see "double" its not like cross your eyes double but like a false edge across the top of the front sight. Almost like a false or ghost edge ?? reall sucks
Nice. I took my M59/66A1 yesterday just for fun and it seemed to shoot better than I recall, at least until the barrel heats up, then things open up.

My new visual system is to leave both eyes open as long as possible and get in the ballpark on the site, and then close my right eye. Otherwise if I don't shoot quickly my eyes will fatigue and I end up rushing shots. I've had mixed success leaving both eyes open.

Next will the plan is Mauser, maybe one of the Enfields (Lee or 1917), and then a wildcard.

Nice. I took my M59/66A1 yesterday just for fun and it seemed to shoot better than I recall, at least until the barrel heats up, then things open up.

My new visual system is to leave both eyes open as long as possible and get in the ballpark on the site, and then close my right eye. Otherwise if I don't shoot quickly my eyes will fatigue and I end up rushing shots. I've had mixed success leaving both eyes open.

Next will the plan is Mauser, maybe one of the Enfields (Lee or 1917), and then a wildcard.
put some tape over your lens to block out your non aiming eyes vision. it will allow you to shoot with both eyes open.....you seen my gasses right?

or get fancy
https://www.amazon.com/Eye-Patch-Occluder-Perfect-Shooting/dp/B0774S989J

put some tape over your lens to block out your non aiming eyes vision. it will allow you to shoot with both eyes open.....you seen my gasses right?

or get fancy
https://www.amazon.com/Eye-Patch-Occluder-Perfect-Shooting/dp/B0774S989J
I do remember it, but I didn't know you blocked it out entirely.
I thought about blocking my right eye during USPSA so it didn't muddle things during stages but I think the loss of the peripheral vision in a sport where you're running and moving is too much a trade off. I've gotten better at keeping both eyes open with rifle but I haven't tried a dedicated target to see how it affects things on point of impact.

I do remember it, but I didn't know you blocked it out entirely.
I thought about blocking my right eye during USPSA so it didn't muddle things during stages but I think the loss of the peripheral vision in a sport where you're running and moving is too much a trade off. I've gotten better at keeping both eyes open with rifle but I haven't tried a dedicated target to see how it affects things on point of impact.
I block off enough of the lense so when I’m in position it will block out my eye.
I leave enough on the lower section to walk around. I have a eye exam next week and I know my Rx will be different for my aiming eye, I most likely go with a Rx in my non aiming eye so I can read my score card and see my sight settings

It was a G'rand day...pun intended...:p

Took the Garand to the range in my little cart. Sunny, 34F, 6" crusty snow. The cart is not suited for off road travel...could use bigger wheels or snowshoes...and have the ability to turn instead of fall over.

Shot 9 en-blocs; upper left was practice. Pedestrian results in order around the clock...86/0, 78/1, 85/0, 89/0, and 79/0.

Ammo was HXP: 1969-42, 1978-14, 1976-6, 1971-4, and 1982-1.

The 5/44 Winchester Danish Garand was a little cranky. Hadn't shot it for a year. Lowest setting on the Type-2 bar rear sight was about 1.5, but not marked as such....a couple mm below "2". I put the front sight over the black to hit center. Had my new glasses which only means I can see the target. Couldn't see the yellow duct tape. First en-block didn't eject...just a little tug. Rest were fine. All en-blocs needed a little assist to charge the action.

Last rifle for a while...it was too painful to pull the contraption through the snow.

t
IMG_6665.jpg

Last edited:
awful/100 absolutely no X

CMP MM AR HacBuild-

Left target is PPU M193 upper was orginally zeroed for M193 I did not put windage back to no wind zero if I did I might have had a score. Right target is
Varget and Nolser 69 custom comps. 100 yards bench shot round robin. I did not count well and left one short on the right target

3ZuOu9el.jpg

the rifle- the tape on the upper is the m193 zero info and the tape on the butt stock is my basic come ups for 77gn 200,300,600 yards
vElFa5Tl.jpg

Todays possible entry
Cmp Modern Mil AR,

You do know what those little knobs are for, right? :D

Very good group there. More evidence that the CMP rules of the day will backfire. At least with non-free float uppers there was some necessary skill involved that leveled the equipment playing field. Now it’s definitely an equipment race.

You do know what those little knobs are for, right? :D

Very good group there. More evidence that the CMP rules of the day will backfire. At least with non-free float uppers there was some necessary skill involved that leveled the equipment playing field. Now it’s definitely an equipment race.
I sure do, no spotting scope though so just banged it out.
The dumb dumb was sure to put elevation back to "known" zero but not windage.
Echoing another post. I have been able to shoot small groups i just cant seem to get them in the middle of the target!
This was a lunch rush range trip. its all fun.
I wanted to run it with a scope but for the life of me I have no idea what I did with my carry handle mount and scope?
i might have sold it? Anyway. maybe I will pick up on of those 4x scopes and run my other AR in UMM

I sure do, no spotting scope though so just banged it out.
The dumb dumb was sure to put elevation back to "known" zero but not windage.
Echoing another post. I have been able to shoot small groups i just cant seem to get them in the middle of the target!
This was a lunch rush range trip. its all fun.
I wanted to run it with a scope but for the life of me I have no idea what I did with my carry handle mount and scope?
i might have sold it? Anyway. maybe I will pick up on of those 4x scopes and run my other AR in UMM
I plan to try the MM abomination with a scope next time I take it out.

I think next winter I will add a sniper category. Same target, highest X count and if tied for 10-X most inside X not touching line. If still a tie, smallest group not touching line. Open to any milsurp plus free float AR’s.

How about Standing / Offhand?

Might be a good way for some of us to submit 'handicapped' official entries. Offhand entries for anyone with CMP trinkets or Highpower leg points? Volunteer basis, of course. Otherwise I want to keep positions a free for all because some may have physical limitations that only allow for bench shooting.

I was thinking next year for sniper class. Offhand. That's how I shoot it now.
I considered using Granddad's Mossberg 44b but it was purchased new by him in the 30's so it had no usgi proof marks. Another great shooter though

Milsurp equivalent / replica is OK for this.

88/0X - The Frozen Mosin

Figured I'd take the T53 out for a beat since she hadn't seen much action in the last year. I keep her in a wet corner in the basement with the bayonet lodged into the dirt in a hole for the sump pump because I don't want her to feel like she's anything better than a $150 gun, lol. Once in a while i'll walk by it and kick it into the wall or hook an electrical current up to it just for funzies so I can watch it suffer.

IMG_2414.jpg

another 'late night' shooting session by the artist formerly known as Dakar, featuring a 1954 mfg Mosin T53 'rifle'

IMG_2415.jpg IMG_2416.jpg

Despite my best efforts, this rifle still shoots...pretty incredible!

IMG_2417.jpg IMG_2418.jpg

I actually couldn't believe it...that's a pretty damn good showing for a rifle that was left hanging with the bayonet stuck in a rafter in the basement for a few months until I figured out a better way to 'secure' it to meet MA storage laws.

All kidding aside, I actually love this rifle...where else are you going to find a carbine with a bayonet attached for less than the cost of a shiny new huffy bicycle? The Chinese might not have been great at much back in the 1950's, but they sure could copy the Russians (and utilize their outdated tooling in the name of the expansion of communism).

NEXT UP...the VKT M39

Dont discredit the chinese, perfectly capable of making good stuff when they want to.
If i can find some of my bullets for 54r I might load some up and take a run for a few last entries in the WWM

Dont discredit the chinese, perfectly capable of making good stuff when they want to.
If i can find some of my bullets for 54r I might load some up and take a run for a few last entries in the WWM

Pretty much my entire post was intended to be satirical. I love Chinese guns and intend to buy a nice SKS/AK set of Norinco’s when I move out of state this year and don’t have to pay the MA douchebag tax of twice the cost of the actual worth of the rifle plus having to hear the words ‘rare’ or ‘pre-ban’ anymore to double the price on top of that.

Got to the range today in the crappy weather to test out some handloads for the M39 I picked up recently so I decided to take my K98k along as well. It's actually the first milsurp I ever bought. It's a 1938, 27 marked (Erma) 'Russian Capture' with a laminate stock. She's a decent shooter though I'm not a fan of the sights.

I was shooting some old handloads...170gr Speer Hot Cor over 45gr of H4895.

Target 1 - 87-0x

It's been a while since I've shot this Mauser.... but not too shabby.

20190310_142127.jpg

Target 2 - 92-0x

Had a few fliers on this one... also, it looks like 2 shots in one hole on the left edge of the 10 ring

20190310_142208.jpg

I was hoping to shoot a third target but I was running out of time and the rain was starting to come down harder

One of three Mauser postings! I did out shoot my Garand last year; 94 vs 93. Be awhile before I do that good again, if ever.

Year/code/matched/RC?

t

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom