2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

Its very obvious you did not scream load german phrases when shooting the luger. Then when shooting the 1911 you must have had some german thoughts going through your head?

Some simple ones to try next time
"Horrido - Joho".
Dran! Drauf! Drüber!" Maybe use this thinking your out of MG ammo and no more shells? Just you, side arm and a mag of ammo left

Meh, I'm happy with the Luger score. 1911 target a total C-F on my part. I've shot that one much better than this.

Pistols, I’m either ok or suck never good

On a good day with some practice and more careful shooting, I have scored decently vs. what I see posted for the CMP 1911 results at Vermont. Thought I'd give it a try, but would rather add vintage sniper than mess with pistols in competition. Results like the one I just posted reinforces forgetting about pistols, LOL.

The P.08 is not known to have a great trigger. Mushy and creepy is the best description I can come up with. The one I restored actually has the nicest trigger I've ever shot in a Luger though, after I replaced and fine-tuned a few parts.

The P.08 is not known to have a great trigger. Mushy and creepy is the best description I can come up with. The one I restored actually has the nicest trigger I've ever shot in a Luger though, after I replaced and fine-tuned a few parts.

Might be fun to grab a non-matching Luger with one of the longer barrels and do a little trigger work like that. Could be a hell of a shooter. My Byf '42 is one of two highly collectible firearms that I own. I won't 'safe queen' it but other than probably storing the original grips and using repros to shoot it, I won't alter it in any way.

Even though I sold my M17 Colt DA 45, I haven't had the heart to sell the 1911.

Looks like I have 41 rounds of WWB (230/835/356) and 10 of Liberty CD (78/1900/625); ouch.
1942 Sears M16 holster
1943 B.B. Inc magazine pouch
one original 2 tone mag
1 WW2 marked mag (Check-Mate Industries of Wyandach, New York - known for shoddy work)
1 WW2 unmarked mag
Colt replacement "G" date barrel: 1937-1942
Modern recoil buffer as its 102 years old

Printed 3 targets...tomorrow I think I can squeeze it in...

t

Attachments

• IMG_6732.jpg
    IMG_6732.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6733.jpg
    IMG_6733.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6734.jpg
    IMG_6734.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6739.jpg
    IMG_6739.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6741.jpg
    IMG_6741.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6731.jpg
    IMG_6731.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Might be fun to grab a non-matching Luger with one of the longer barrels and do a little trigger work like that. Could be a hell of a shooter. My Byf '42 is one of two highly collectible firearms that I own. I won't 'safe queen' it but other than probably storing the original grips and using repros to shoot it, I won't alter it in any way.

My byf41 was my first P.08 and first entry into my bound book. It came with a 6” aftermarket barrel on it but the original barrel was also with it. It’s since had the rear toggle, extractor and ejector replaced and it’s a decent shooter

Target 1: 88-2x
Target 2: 91-0x

k98.jpg

Took the K98 out today.
I had loaded up some 150gr with Accurate 2495.

20190314_150403.jpg

Nice weather out, although pretty muddy/slushy downrange.
The only other complaint is that I placed my target stand too close in alignment to the 50yd plate hanger, so the corner of it was kind of bothering the periphery of my sight picture on the bottom target.

88.jpg

Took my first shot quite high before I realized my sight slider was up a bit; dropping it down corrected it.

91.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with this load.
There was a bit of a weird situation; I had recalled it shooting left (probably need to get/make a sight tool to bump it a bit over), but my friend who met me there had brought a spotting scope for us to use that turned out to be a telescope--but it did not have a necessary piece (lens, I think) to "flip" the image. But I didn't know that--so when I looked down I thought I was hitting to the right, so I held further left until it was explained to me; so there's probably more of a left side bias here then I otherwise would have had. As some of you that have seen it may recall, the tripod I use for my spotting scope is really wobbly, and this telescope was very stable so it was easier to see; plus our targets were side by side so not much need to adjust.

I would really like to get the Mauser out again because I think I can improve due to the inversion; not sure it's going to happen though. The action is pretty smooth.

Still, the 91 makes it my best K98 target this year, replacing the 90 I shot previously.

82/0X - 97/2X - Finn for the Win! (Not really...but a nice score for a 125 year old rifle)

Ordered a new sight post for the old girl as she shot really high the last time I took her out. Turns out, my calculations were still a little bit off and I think i'll have to order another couple mm taller to get her down to POA. She's a 1941 VKT on an 1895 receiver and has almost all of her bluing intact.

IMG_2440.jpg IMG_2441.jpg IMG_2450.jpg IMG_2451.jpg

I'm shooting more of that Ruag 174gr that these Finnish girls seem to LOVE and utilizing ol' Mountains dog collar sling trick for some added stability.

IMG_2442.jpg IMG_2448.jpg

I don't know that I expected to shoot THIS tight of a group, but with the last rays of sunshine on my target it was pretty easy pickins! I mean, it actually FELT like a good group from up range (no spotting scope today).

IMG_2443.jpg IMG_2444.jpg

Like I mentioned...still unfortunately a little high with a center hold, but the 6 o'clock hold definitely gets me a lot closer to where I want to be!

IMG_2445.jpg IMG_2447.jpg

I knew I pulled that shot to the left, so I wasn't surprised to see it when I walked up on the target...but it still gave me the warm and fuzzies to see that all my rounds stayed in the black.

Not sure how many more of these I have left in me before next Wednesday, but I'd really like to get the other M39 out and about...and the M44...and the 1903 and A3...fat chance, I think, but there's always next year :D

Last edited:
82/0X - 97/2X - Finn for the Win! (Not really...but a nice score for a 125 year old rifle)

Ordered a new sight post for the old girl as she shot really high the last time I took her out. Turns out, my calculations were still a little bit off and I think i'll have to order another couple mm taller to get her down to POA. She's a 1941 VKT on an 1895 receiver and has almost all of her bluing intact.

View attachment 274388 View attachment 274387 View attachment 274377 View attachment 274376

I'm shooting more of that Ruag 174gr that these Finnish girls seem to LOVE and utilizing ol' Mountains dog collar sling trick for some added stability.

View attachment 274386 View attachment 274380

I don't know that I expected to shoot THIS tight of a group, but with the last rays of sunshine on my target it was pretty easy pickins! I mean, it actually FELT like a good group from up range (no spotting scope today).

View attachment 274384 View attachment 274383

Like I mentioned...still unfortunately a little high with a center hold, but the 6 o'clock hold definitely gets me a lot closer to where I want to be!

View attachment 274382 View attachment 274381

I knew I pulled that shot to the left, so I wasn't surprised to see it when I walked up on the target...but it still gave me the warm and fuzzies to see that all my rounds stayed in the black.

Not sure how many more of these I have left in me before next Wednesday, but I'd really like to get the other M39 out and about...and the M44...and the 1903 and A3...fat chance, I think, but there's always next year :D
Where are you getting your mosin front sight post?

i need to get one of these for my mauser and find a Square notch rear sight too.

eBay, sir...mostly less than $20 and many different sizes available. I think i’m going to bump up to an 8.7mm if this current 8.5mm doesn’t cooperate at 200yds.
How much do you need to move your impacts?
Looks like aprox 4” with your center hold target?
Roughly .006” is 1” at 100 yards
So roughly aight needs to be .025” taller
Or commie measurement current 8.5mm would be closer to 9mm maybe even a touch more but I slack in MM
Poking around for Mauser sights I found this for M39
custom m39 front sight blade only, height of 10.5mm

Last edited:

View attachment 274388 View attachment 274387 View attachment 274377 View attachment 274376

97/2X? Who are you, and what have you done with 76Too? [laugh]

Got the 1911 out before it rained. Of course something had to go wrong in lieu of rain; my key card didn’t work and I had to take the secret entrance in down the path and through the green brier. Fell once. 54F very windy; targets doing the swinging gate impression. Did not use ear plugs for a little realism. Liberty zinged the ears a little; no problem with the Winchester. I could navigate around the puddles of the left side, but didn’t go swimming for the brass today. 50 feet per B-3 target. Left target Liberty CD; 7 hits. Had to go back after the fact and shoot 3 more; score 69/0. WWB on the last 2; 50/0 and 66/0. I then put 3 more mags of WWB into the right target and got my groove on; 7-10, 3-X, 4-9 and gutted the middle.

t

Attachments

• FB8252F2-55CA-432D-A7E3-DF5C483E3BD4.jpeg
    FB8252F2-55CA-432D-A7E3-DF5C483E3BD4.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 10
  • AEFEAD2B-6F30-49DA-AC65-B477FE00A3EB.jpeg
    AEFEAD2B-6F30-49DA-AC65-B477FE00A3EB.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 8
  • E996147F-C3C8-4F34-95B1-CFCD18042400.jpeg
    E996147F-C3C8-4F34-95B1-CFCD18042400.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6745.jpg
    IMG_6745.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

It's a cousin of the M39 I picked up recently. Mines a 1941 VKT as well but it's built on a 1920 Tula receiver. I've only shot it a bit to test some loads, but one load I tried had 4 shots touching with one flyer at 100 yards. It'll be a good shooter!

My M39 was shooting really high also so I cut a section of a short, black cable tie and glued it to the front sight. It lowered the impact enough that it hits about 3-4 inches high at 100 yards as opposed to over a foot high.

It was a nice day today so I decided to take the Garand out for a bit. It's an HRA (serial # 4746***) with it's original (I think.... it's 5-54 dated) barrel.

Target 1 - 85-0x?

First shots. I only counted 9 shots but I know I shot 10. Maybe one of the 10s is 2 in one? If it is it'd be 95-0x
20190317_142252.jpg

Target 2 - 90-0x

Moved the rear sight over a click for this one but it opened up a bit...I was jerking the trigger a lot on this one.
20190317_142355.jpg

Target 3 - 95-0x

Settled down for this one and I got a more solid group... almost all in the black.

20190317_142323.jpg

Target 4 - 88-0x

Opened up... not an excuse but my eyes were getting tired at this point.

20190317_142408.jpg

Target 5 - 86-0x

I tried for one more to finish out my box of ammo but I didn't do any better. My eyes were tired and it was getting hard to concentrate lol
20190317_143310.jpg

I was shooting some handloads...46.5gr of IMR4895 under a basic 147gr FMJBT. Nothing fancy but it shoots pretty well out of my Garand. I do have some 168gr Hornadys and 175gr Matchkings I want to work up a load with just for kicks.

It was a nice day today so I decided to take the Garand out for a bit. It's an HRA (serial # 4746***) with it's original (I think.... it's 5-54 dated) barrel.

Target 1 - 85-0x?

First shots. I only counted 9 shots but I know I shot 10. Maybe one of the 10s is 2 in one? If it is it'd be 95-0x
View attachment 274842

Target 2 - 90-0x

Moved the rear sight over a click for this one but it opened up a bit...I was jerking the trigger a lot on this one.
View attachment 274843

Target 3 - 95-0x

Settled down for this one and I got a more solid group... almost all in the black.

View attachment 274844

Target 4 - 88-0x

Opened up... not an excuse but my eyes were getting tired at this point.

View attachment 274845

Target 5 - 86-0x

I tried for one more to finish out my box of ammo but I didn't do any better. My eyes were tired and it was getting hard to concentrate lol
View attachment 274848

I was shooting some handloads...46.5gr of IMR4895 under a basic 147gr FMJBT. Nothing fancy but it shoots pretty well out of my Garand. I do have some 168gr Hornadys and 175gr Matchkings I want to work up a load with just for kicks.

Overall, very nice shooting. There are a few of us who fight our eyes depending upon the day and light conditions. I have found that you can fool your brain and much of your body to wake up when you are tired, but there's no fooling your eyes. If I have not had adequate rest, my eyes are going to be a factor- usually negative LOL.

I agree. I was up early for work today so that doesn't help things. In addition to shooting my Garand I was also grouping some handloads for my Lebel during this range trip. I try to maximize my range time because it doesn't necessarily happen every week. Needless to say by the time I got to shooting my Garand my eyes were already starting to get tired lol

Target 1: 89-0x

Got another crack with the K98. I had 12 pieces of prepped 8mm cases so I took two sighters this time.
89; thought I could have done better, but I do like this load--45gr Accurate 2495 with a 150gr projectile. If some of those 9s were 10s, could have been better.
t.jpg

I got a chance to try out my new shooting mat and sight in my new AR (back up sights); BCM free float upper. Invalid for this competition of course, but depending on the rules for sniper next year, might be a contender.
a.jpg

What I presume will be my final target(s) will be with the M1917 as I try to steal the WW1 crown at the very end. I did up 20 rounds of 30-06 with IMR4895 and 168gr projectiles for this task. Not sure if it will be Monday or Tuesday yet.

Can you beat the 92-1 I got with my '16 Danzig Gew98?

t
That's the goal! I had a 91 before, and I think my other 3 targets with the Eddystone were eighties, maybe one of them was 90. I know I was a point behind.

I think I might try tomorrow just in case there's some snafu or issue--two or three times in 2019 all the rifle spots have been taken or something similar. Wednesday is technically the start of Spring, so I assume Tuesday is the deadline but maybe Mountain allow Wednesday targets.

Target 1: 89-0x

Got another crack with the K98. I had 12 pieces of prepped 8mm cases so I took two sighters this time.
89; thought I could have done better, but I do like this load--45gr Accurate 2495 with a 150gr projectile. If some of those 9s were 10s, could have been better.
View attachment 274968

I got a chance to try out my new shooting mat and sight in my new AR (back up sights); BCM free float upper. Invalid for this competition of course, but depending on the rules for sniper next year, might be a contender.
View attachment 274969

What I presume will be my final target(s) will be with the M1917 as I try to steal the WW1 crown at the very end. I did up 20 rounds of 30-06 with IMR4895 and 168gr projectiles for this task. Not sure if it will be Monday or Tuesday yet.
so how did the new rifle shoot?
Your K98 score if your group center was 1" more right might have picked up 3 points or so.

Rifles: Swiss K31, Ammunition 155 grain reloads
Mosin Nagant 91/30, Ammunition BagObullets

I plane to get out monday as long as range is open:
The K31 can shoot when I do my part. These 155 grain loads are what I shot gold with last time I ran the K31. I did change out the sling swivel to be at 6oc and installed a fatter front sight. That rear notch though is painful. I do think this is my last year for rifles that do not have a rear aperture sight.

The Mosin: My least favorite surplus rifle. I just have not shot well with this beast. Its clean all matching with a good bore? Maybe sitting idle in the safe for a few years woke it up. Only reason Im shooting it is I came across some rounds for it. Thing id I dont really know what loads are in these. They are either Traiboss or H4895. So Im either going to be on paper or painfully low. I have 2 sighters to figure it out.
FkhWsyJm.jpg

so how did the new rifle shoot?
Your K98 score if your group center was 1" more right might have picked up 3 points or so.
I'd say it shot well. I started off at 50 to get it sighted to basically where I wanted, and then did the same at 100. I didn't shoot any SR-1s, although I could have I guess. These are intended to be backup sights, I do plan to put an optic on there. Other than my 10/22, I do irons, so this would be a bit of a departure for me.

I'd say it shot well. I started off at 50 to get it sighted to basically where I wanted, and then did the same at 100. I didn't shoot any SR-1s, although I could have I guess. These are intended to be backup sights, I do plan to put an optic on there. Other than my 10/22, I do irons, so this would be a bit of a departure for me.
What are you planning for optics, big magX or little combat style?

Back
Top Bottom