• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 Boston Marathon

Ok, so who has signed up?

I'm working my first Boston Marathon this year. Got assigned to transportation along with a buddy. I haven't gotten any emails yet on when the meeting is or info on the web forum.

Talked to another ham who has done transport and says it is the easiest of all of the gigs.

In. Working at Start again this year. Other years worked at water station. Start already had 2 teleconferences. There is medical info/video stuff linked in an email sent today at 11:30 am.

Your first year, working transportation.. If you are using a mag mount, bring a steel cookie sheet and a roll of duct tape. Some of the buses are materials other than something not ferrous..

Your first year, working transportation.. If you are using a mag mount, bring a steel cookie sheet and a roll of duct tape. Some of the buses are materials other than something not ferrous..

Yeah...saw the videos already and made note of that. Any reason why you can't mount on the hood of the bus in that event or are the hoods non-ferrous as well?

Anyone know of a suction-cup mount? :)

Finish sounds pretty intense. Wouldn't mind doing that one some time in the future. Guess the benefit of START is that you're day is over pretty damn early.

Yeah...saw the videos already and made note of that. Any reason why you can't mount on the hood of the bus in that event or are the hoods non-ferrous as well?

Anyone know of a suction-cup mount? :)

Finish sounds pretty intense. Wouldn't mind doing that one some time in the future. Guess the benefit of START is that you're day is over pretty damn early.
No idea what is now done at Hopkinton but back in the 1980s I worked it as a police officer (volunteer gig), we were done shortly after everyone left Hopkinton and then the HPD gave us lunch and we headed home. No idea if they do that for the Hams assigned there or not.

If you’re assigned outside, get comfortable rain gear. Long range forcasts look really wet, and have for a while.

If you’re assigned outside, get comfortable rain gear. Long range forcasts look really wet, and have for a while.

Oh man, looking at the forecast, I'm guessing the buses will be packed. Rain basically during the entire race AND in the 30s and 40s. Going to be a suck day for the runners. Heard that the med folks are brushing up on the hypothermia treatments.

Had some victims of hypothermia at start... men’s winner said weather was perfect. They said on news that 99% that signed up, signed in this AM.

Worked the lower B loop...so we bounced between MED03 to MED08. Most of our traffic was at 3 and 8. Lots of cold miserable runners.

Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor to Run Race With Prosthetic Leg
Sadly, this woman, was our very first pickup and MED03.

She was pretty crushed because she blew her training and failed to pace herself. The nurses on our van were amazing at comforting her.

I'll definitely volunteer again next year.

Back
Top Bottom