2018 fishing tread

Update for the nes fish club:

On of the nearby local ponds has a ton of lily pads in the summer, almost completly covered by July and it becomes a frogs only location. Well, the only bass rod I use is a light spinning rod, 8lb braided line, and mostly finesse stuff. Stopped by the local pad pond with a buddy and decided I would throw a frog using my normal setup. This pond isn’t known for big bass but you can usually be confident in catching 2-4 fish in a couple hours mostly in the 12-14” range. In fact we’ve never even seen a bass there over 16-18” I’d guess.

I started throwing the frog in the pads, just slowly twitching it along when I got a huge blowup. It was perfect: I didn’t set the hook too soon, probably could’ve counted to three before I gave it good yank. Immediately started peeling off drag. I got the fish withon about 10 feet of shore when it jumped - easily a 4-5 pounder. As soon as it went back under my light line snapped.

I was so mad, haven’t caught anything last year or this year I would call big. Happy to know there are actually nice fish in that lake, but that was a tough way to find out! Been meaning to get a bait caster with heavier line, and I think this was the kick in the pants I needed.

Nothing like a winch with 20lb. braided line. It will pull the pads out as well. The hook is the weak point. Tru-Turn for the win.

Lots of 1.5 lb Bass and decent sized bluegills this year. I've done quite well the last couple weeks, including this one.
Caught it right at my feet. It was the first time I fished this pond and there isn't much to where you can go without a boat. I'll have to throw my kayak in.

ON0h2Hk.jpg

Nice. I enjoy fishing from my kayak. I haven't even put my kayak in the water yet this year. I will eventually. Right now I'm struggling trying to find the time for fishing!

True story. Couple hundred years ago one fine spring morn I walked into the Town Clerks office in what was then the one horse town I grew up in. I informed the gentleman behind the counter I wanted a marriage license and as long as I was there a fishing license as well. Without missing a beat the old guy replied "One or the other sonny, you won't be needing them both"

True story. Couple hundred years ago one fine spring morn I walked into the Town Clerks office in what was then the one horse town I grew up in. I informed the gentleman behind the counter I wanted a marriage license and as long as I was there a fishing license as well. Without missing a beat the old guy replied "One or the other sonny, you won't be needing them both"

Ha!
I have a problem that will need a solution. Soon I'll want to start hitting the high tides at dusk and after at some of the northside beaches, for Stripers. I won't be home until well after dark and whenever I get home the dogs bark like the hounds of hell. Wife and baby sleeping... Dogs bark like a$$holes... It's automatically my fault. Hmmm. I don't want to just camp out for the night away from home and leave my family alone. F*cking dogs. They were hers before we met. I love 'em but since the baby came home they are a huge pain in the behind. Oh well. I'll figure it out.

Ha!
I have a problem that will need a solution. Soon I'll want to start hitting the high tides at dusk and after at some of the northside beaches, for Stripers. I won't be home until well after dark and whenever I get home the dogs bark like the hounds of hell. Wife and baby sleeping... Dogs bark like a$$holes... It's automatically my fault. Hmmm. I don't want to just camp out for the night away from home and leave my family alone. F*cking dogs. They were hers before we met. I love 'em but since the baby came home they are a huge pain in the behind. Oh well. I'll figure it out.

Call Newman. He'll take care of the dogs

Be careful out there:

"Police are investigating a reported armed robbery Tuesday evening at Cook Pond.

FALL RIVER — Police are investigating a reported armed robbery Tuesday evening at Cook Pond.

The victim told police he had been fishing just before 9 p.m. when he encountered a teenage boy, 13 to 15 years old, who had removed money from his tackle bag, which had been left ashore. The teen reportedly pulled a snubnose revolver at the victim and told him, “I got you old man,” Fall River police Sgt. J.T. Hoar said.

During the robbery, a second juvenile was spotted hiding in the nearby bushes. The victim did not provide a description of that suspect, but said the teen who robbed him was about 5 feet tall, described him as light-skinned black or Hispanic, wearing black basketball shorts and a black T-shirt with a white or silver design on the back and front. The victim said the suspects took $345 from him."

Man fishing on Cook Pond robbed by teen

Last edited:
Bought my first ever bait caster earlier, a lews carbon fire rod with matching reel, plus my first whopper plopper. Got one bass tonight at a new pond, and my buddy got a 3” bass on his 2” plopped. He also scored a nice pickerel.

Here’s mine, about 12” I think. A real chunky one.

Attachments

• B11D5595-C976-4791-BB9E-F8733C06F145.jpeg
    B11D5595-C976-4791-BB9E-F8733C06F145.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 33
It’s fun. A boat helps a lot but it works from shore in the right places/times. There’s a bit of a transition from trout gear it takes a lot more effort to cast- not just flicking flies out there. It’s usually windy. You really need to know how to double haul. Stripers will readily take a fly, though, if you can get it in front of them. Not leader shy and generally not hard to fool.

Went out again today. Caught about 6-8 small bass 10” or less. Got one about 12-14” which put up a good fight. Still looking for a real fish this year.

Saw night turn into day at what really is one of the world's greatest inshore fishing spots this AM, could see all the way to Nantucket, which is noteworthy cause it's also the world's foggiest spot,caught fish on a new rod with a new method, flat ass calm and warm for the steam home with CD player blasting some classics ( California Dreamin, Tom Rush, and my all time favorite for the ride in from offshore, Blind Faith... yup...Cant Find My Way home). Without a doubt though the real highlight, the icing on the cake, the ne plus ultra, the hottie (sorry, no pics) in the harbormasters office let me slide on the ramp fee.

With the billions I spend fishing, why is it the real measure of the success of the trip hinges on weaseling out of that 10 bucks? You could catch 'em all, slay Moby Dick and sell his teeth for scrimshaw, still if you have to fork up the ramp fee the trip sucked. Get skunked, drop your best rod and reel over the side, stuff the bow into the rip, engine fire, hole the hull, but get out of paying the 10 spot, good enough.

Last edited:
Tossed my fishing gear into my Mustang and went out to South Cape Beach in Mashpee to try my luck on blues. There were more swimmers than people fishing at 6:30PM, and did not catch anything. However it was a nice time of day to be out, and lots of fun rowing the gears in the 5.0 Mustang on the ride out and back.

Hit Quaboag Pond early this morning. Beautiful morning, but slow fishing. I had one bass, one big pickerel...my old man had one bass, and my brother had two or three bass. Nothing above two pounds. Just glad to get out.

Didn't get out at all this weekend, but did get a new Kayak to fish from. I picked up an Ascend 12T kayak that I can stand in to fish if I want. It's a little bulky/heavy to carry into some of my hidden ponds, but for the bigger ones it will be much more awesomer. I was debating whether or not to get a 10' or 12' so I got the 12'

View: https://i.imgur.com/4alhEXu.jpg

Last edited:
I am really digging kayak fishing. Hit a pond 6 minutes from the house today and caught 12 bass and 2 pickerel in 2 1/2 hours. Pretty sure that I will be selling my fishing boat. My new Vibe kayak is awesome to fish out of but think I will sell some toys and get a Hobie Outback and a trailer. Lifting my kayak up onto my high tailgate is not good for this old back.

Stripah fishing has been okay on the beach in southern Maine these past few days. The micros are here in full force, and one year bigger. Fun enough on fly gear. Lost an SP Minnow the other night in the churned up surf, from a fish that hit & ran harder than any of the 40"ers I've ever caught. The Stradic's spool was getting too skinny for comfort as the spool screamed, and I put a tad bit too much drag against the 30lb Power Pro to 20lb fluoro leader, in an attempt to slow the beast. The uni-uni connection failed, but at least it provided confirmation of larger fish present. The moon lit, clear and calm conditions last night were not productive. No keepers landed, yet.

I will be hitting the beach on the northside midCape area tonight. Hi tide right around 8pm, and this spot historically gives up the bigger fish on the outgoing tide right around sunset/dusk. I haven't done much fishing so far this year with the baby and all, but I've hit the canal a few times. I just plain suck at fishing the canal though, and always end up going back to what I know. Should be a nice night to throw some bait out there and sit in the sand!

Anyone want to catch a record carp? My buddy spent a week and caught the tournament winner last year, it's not hard. No tournament, just big friggin carp. They need to be fished out.

North shore, PM me for how and where.

(bump) The Bass need a break.

Went out tonight for a couple hours to try some fishing with frogs. I have never caught anything on frogs, probably because I give up after 10 minutes. I decided to put an effort into it this year. I bought an assortment recently to go with the couples already have.
I was fishing from shore today and missed a lot of fish. I got a couple great blowups, but they kept missing. I threw out a sprinker frog today and I swear the fish ate it the second it touched the water. Maybe I hit it in the mouth. It was my first fish on a frog. I went on to land 3 today, two on frogs and one with a yum grub on my ultralight setup.
I also had one that I couldn’t pull through the weeds. It just sat there for a few minutes until my frog came loose.

Frog fishing is frustrating. Do your best to solidly count to two before you set the hook - it gives them just a little extra time to suck it in a little more. Even then you’ll have a few wriggle free. A dedicated heavy frog rod with 50lb braided line helps really horse them in too.

Went out tonight at the oxbow in Northampton. Lost a really nice one, probably 3-4lbs, on my finesse setup when it took my senko under a log. Got a good look at it when it jumped. Landed this guy which I’d estimate at about 2lbs on a whopper plopper.

Attachments

• A1206B99-3CF3-4A7E-95E9-7691940E5E42.jpeg
    A1206B99-3CF3-4A7E-95E9-7691940E5E42.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 16
That 29" fish I posted Friday night was caught on sand eels near Barnstable Harbor, (north facing beach in Cape Cod Bay). I had thrown my bait out at around 7:30 and waited. As soon as the sun had set, little schoolies started biting. I caught 3 or 4 sub-foot-longers, then a few 15 -17", two of which were hooked on the same line! (double hook rig for sand eels). Once it was dark the larger fish moved through. I caught a ~25" just before the keeper.

I live much closer to the canal now than I do the old stomping grounds of Yarmouth/Dennis but I suck at fishing the canal. So I come back to my hometown where the fishing is easy, relaxing, and I don't have to worry about crawling around on those goddamn rocks and falling into the ditch. Hahaha.

chapin june 22 2018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom