2019 Appleseed Events in New Hampshire

Project Appleseed has scheduled two events at Pelham Fish & Game Club in Pelham.

February 9-10, a Winterseed.

April 27-28, the Patriot's Day Appleseed.

You can register for these events at schedule | Project Appleseed

We expect to add several more events at other venues throughout the year. If you are interested in having your club host an Appleseed in 2019, please PM me.

Anyone doing the February one? I was thinking of signing up, a few things would have to line up but I'm trying to make it happen.

How do we know if it's a winterseed by looking at the schedule on the Appleseed website? It just says it's a standard Appleseed. I would like to go to the Mansfield one in February but I don't know if it's a winterseed.

How do we know if it's a winterseed by looking at the schedule on the Appleseed website? It just says it's a standard Appleseed. I would like to go to the Mansfield one in February but I don't know if it's a winterseed.

Normally, it's at the discretion of the person running the event - meaning if you show up, it's -20, and you need a tractor to dig out the target line, it's a Winterseed. We are in New England though, so if it's sunny, 60, and the only challenge are the young grasshoppers and the garlic scapes poking you, then it's a regular event. Chances are the Mansfield event will be a Winterseed.

Other than the conditions and patches, any difference between Winterseed and regular? Trying to start figuring out everything I need to do to prepare. I was going to use my 10/22 with a USGI style websling.

Dusted off a few 22s today. Brrrr. They’re ready, am I? All 10 shot groups except the center on one is 20, with the Savage A22, Savage B22 threaded short barrel and a Ruger 10-22. Funny how the Savages like the CCI better and Ruger likes the Aguila. The bolt actually loved both. Ruger has nothing stock left besides receiver.073EF5DB-3076-4FC8-9F04-AC7E5709449C.jpeg D454D3E6-E280-450B-A016-5A35221204D3.jpeg 1959AE0D-C385-4DB5-89D0-C79C428B5B4D.jpeg 777C9C8A-9A22-4B14-A75B-38E121D14D86.jpeg

Last edited:
My groups were not as nice as yours but I did get sighted in closer than I expected. Going to have to run Federal Auto Match since I don't think I have enough CCI to run, which is what I would have preferred. Got to start going through the checklist for what to bring.

Offhand was also a mess.

My groups were not as nice as yours but I did get sighted in closer than I expected. Going to have to run Federal Auto Match since I don't think I have enough CCI to run, which is what I would have preferred. Got to start going through the checklist for what to bring.

Offhand was also a mess.
Still time to order from tsa. I can probably spare a brick if you’re in a pinch

Still time to order from tsa. I can probably spare a brick if you’re in a pinch
I did end up ordering some earlier this afternoon. If I get a chance to verify my sighting this week, I'll probably roll with the CCI.

Just registered for this weekend. :D

I did end up ordering some earlier this afternoon. If I get a chance to verify my sighting this week, I'll probably roll with the CCI.

Just registered for this weekend. :D

Waiting to see if my son wants in before i register. I'm going though.

Waiting to see if my son wants in before i register. I'm going though.
Nice. Looks like it's could be a small crowd. I think only 2-3 slots were taken as of last night but there's still time.

Looks like the Volquartsen enhanced extractor I ordered should arrive on Friday. A little hesitant to swap it without having a chance to test it first but I had more malfunctions yesterday than I was comfortable with. Targetsports emailed a label, if the CCI ships today/tomorrow I should have it in time and I could see if runs any better than the Federal; might not need to swap it right away if that's the case.

As of now only 3 people have signed up. I'd like to see a lot more. It takes a critical mass to generate a good energy level.

Winterseeds are qualified by freezing conditions. According to Accuweather's forecast, this one will qualify.

The most extreme Winterseed I've done was in Boone, NC about five years ago. On Saturday there was a 3-foot deep blizzard, 6F high temp, and a 25-knot wind all day. We had to keep rifle cases on the line to prevent snow from freezing up in the actions between stages. The 12 shooters that weekend said it was the most fun shooting they'd ever had. At the end of the day, I gave a class on how to fully disassemble, clean and dry all the parts of the rifles. Sunday it was 45F and sunny. Other than the slush, that was fun, too.

Managed to get over again today and took some CCI. Much better all around.

First group was a tad left; the Federal was a tad right. Interesting how it can make such a difference at relatively close.
1.jpg

#2 getting better
2.jpg

#3 - the high right one was the first shot and definitely me.
3.jpg

So those three were cheating with the bench. Definitely makes you feel good about yourself.

Did 9 shots off hand for kicks and you can really see the difference:
offhand.jpg

BUT, this is precisely why I am looking for training, to improve myself. In CMP matches and whatnot, offhand in particular has always killed me.

The bonus to the CCI was that I had zero malfunctions of any kind in the 70 shots I took which makes me feel a lot more comfortable. UPS says the shipment from Targetsports was delivered for when I get home.

Still planning to swap the extractor on Friday night.

It was super muddy out there; I don't have a shooting mat so I was thinking maybe a tarp.
Is action range 2 the meeting spot, or the main clubhouse?

Managed to get over again today and took some CCI. Much better all around.

First group was a tad left; the Federal was a tad right. Interesting how it can make such a difference at relatively close.
View attachment 268020

#2 getting better
View attachment 268021

#3 - the high right one was the first shot and definitely me.
View attachment 268022

So those three were cheating with the bench. Definitely makes you feel good about yourself.

Did 9 shots off hand for kicks and you can really see the difference:
View attachment 268024

BUT, this is precisely why I am looking for training, to improve myself. In CMP matches and whatnot, offhand in particular has always killed me.

The bonus to the CCI was that I had zero malfunctions of any kind in the 70 shots I took which makes me feel a lot more comfortable. UPS says the shipment from Targetsports was delivered for when I get home.

Still planning to swap the extractor on Friday night.

It was super muddy out there; I don't have a shooting mat so I was thinking maybe a tarp.
Is action range 2 the meeting spot, or the main clubhouse?
Dont know what your using for a set up. Off hand the stock 10/22 is to light and short for me plus the factory notch and post sights suck for me. Scoped ? I just dont shoot off hand well with a scope. Good old aperture sights work best for me.

Dont know what your using for a set up. Off hand the stock 10/22 is to light and short for me plus the factory notch and post sights suck for me. Scoped ? I just dont shoot off hand well with a scope. Good old aperture sights work best for me.
Mine's a plain Jane wood stocked one, only with a USGI websling attached via Uncle Mike's QD mounts I added to the stock. I'll be changing the extractor on Friday, if everything goes according to plan. 4x-12x cheap scope ($50) on there. I do feel offhand with aperture sights is a bit easier for me, too. Maybe trying to overconfirm with a jumpy scope offhand vs. a less cluttered vision situation?

I tried my first 2 appleseeds with tech sights. I didn't see well enough to get a patch. I added a 3-9x piece of Nikon glass and got my patch at the next 2. But I *wish* I didn't need the glass. It sucks to see your loss of acuity as you age.

Jay, if I ever get to meet you on the range, I'll have you try my setup with a Merit adjustable iris. It increases depth of field so that you can focus on the front sight. Here's an article about the setup from my (soon to be resuscitated) blog: My Target Sights

Mine's a plain Jane wood stocked one, only with a USGI websling attached via Uncle Mike's QD mounts I added to the stock. I'll be changing the extractor on Friday, if everything goes according to plan. 4x-12x cheap scope ($50) on there. I do feel offhand with aperture sights is a bit easier for me, too. Maybe trying to overconfirm with a jumpy scope offhand vs. a less cluttered vision situation?
I tried my first 2 appleseeds with tech sights. I didn't see well enough to get a patch. I added a 3-9x piece of Nikon glass and got my patch at the next 2. But I *wish* I didn't need the glass. It sucks to see your loss of acuity as you age.
yup my eyes slowly going but as long as I can find wider front sights and bigger apertures Im going with irons for as long as I can

yup my eyes slowly going but as long as I can find wider front sights and bigger apertures Im going with irons for as long as I can
Nice set up, If/when I ever get to a apple seed im running the 10/22 I swore I would never own!
iDT0D6Rh.jpg

As of now only 3 people have signed up. I'd like to see a lot more. It takes a critical mass to generate a good energy level.

Winterseeds are qualified by freezing conditions. According to Accuweather's forecast, this one will qualify.

The most extreme Winterseed I've done was in Boone, NC about five years ago. On Saturday there was a 3-foot deep blizzard, 6F high temp, and a 25-knot wind all day. We had to keep rifle cases on the line to prevent snow from freezing up in the actions between stages. The 12 shooters that weekend said it was the most fun shooting they'd ever had. At the end of the day, I gave a class on how to fully disassemble, clean and dry all the parts of the rifles. Sunday it was 45F and sunny. Other than the slush, that was fun, too.

Gonna be a close call on the temps. Looking like Saturday is high 20s, Sunday mid 30s. :(

I've started to wonder if vision is one of the chief reasons I don't shoot as well as many guys in the milsurp section. I don't have any real instruction nor do I have close to the level of experience, so that's definitely a factor. But, I shoot two rifles with optics: my 10/22 and a 22-250. With the 22-250 at 100 yards my shots touch each other and I can cloverleaf them fairly regularly. I can't come close to that with irons. So, to some degree, I don't think my technique is extremely poor.

I have a -8.75 eye prescription which is the worst of anyone I know PLUS astigmatism PLUS cross eye dominant. My father's side also has a history of cataracts. So, I feel like I lost the genetic lottery. Nevertheless, my eyes are my eyes, and there's no use whining over something out of my control.

I've never shot a pistol with a dot before, but I kind of wonder how it would go.

In case anyone doesn't read the AS forum, or didn't get the email - this weekend's shoot at Pelham is cancelled.

In case anyone doesn't read the AS forum, or didn't get the email - this weekend's shoot at Pelham is cancelled.
Thanks for posting; I didn't receive an email for some reason.
Certainly changes the complexion of my weekend! I had a shooting mat overnighted and the in-laws came up from CT (to keep my wife company since I was going to be out) and now they will have to endure my presence.

Thanks for posting; I didn't receive an email for some reason.
Certainly changes the complexion of my weekend! I had a shooting mat overnighted and the in-laws came up from CT (to keep my wife company since I was going to be out) and now they will have to endure my presence.
Your doing it wrong , your still going to appleseed.

Back
Top Bottom