2019 NES Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

Im interested. I have been casting my own, but there is always something I can learn.

I will need to check my calendar, there might be a shoot I already signed up for on that weekend.

I am interested.
As per the original post and the invitation for questions:
- Can you estimate start up costs?
- Approximately how much would it cost to add additional calibers? Right now I load six different diameter bullets.
- Is it safe to do in a somewhat enclosed basement?
- How "clumsiness proof" is casting?

All you really need for each new caliber is a mould and a sizer (and a pair of handles if you’re the kind of person that needs a pair of handles for each mould)....figure $40/mould for a baseline...$15/handles...$15 for sizer die.

it’s pretty tough to tip over a pot of lead (too damn heavy with a low center of gravity) wear some closed toed shoes and safety glasses and some work gloves and you’re safe from pretty much anything casting can do to you until you start doing stupid shit (ask me how I know) like accidentally putting a few wet wheel weights into a pot of molten lead :(

you do need SOME air flow...I do it in my garage or basement but both are pretty drafty. I think me Spangler said he does his in the bulkhead with one door open.

it’s looking like I might be around for this too...I still have to wait a few weeks to post my ‘in’ though because not sure where I’ll be with the sale of the house yet.

Last edited:
I am interested.
- Approximately how much would it cost to add additional calibers? Right now I load six different diameter bullets.

Just like reloading the start up can be from mild to wild.
$20 - Lee 2 cavity mould with handles
$16 - Lee push through sizing die
$6 - Lee tumble lube alox
$10 - Lee ladle.
Old pot and a small Coleman stove at a thrift store is cheap as can be.

Though I would sub out for a Lee 20# bottom pour melting furnace for $70 or so just for convenience.
So about $100 to start up and figure $36 or so for each new cartridge. Though some Moulds can be used for both. A 125 or so grain RN 38 mould can be sized down for use in 9mm.
Or a 115 in 9mm sized down for 380.
So you might have some Moulds than can do double duty with an extra sizer on hand.
There are some finer points and ways to spend a little more or less to get more performance and coating vs lube etc but it’s going to pay for itself in a couple casting sessions.
1000 - 230 grains 45s will cost you about $100
You can cast that for about $30 worth of lead.

I started with a second hand cast iron pot and a $10 Walmart hot plate.
$20 for a Lee mold.
$20 for a Lee sizing die
$25 for a cheap toaster oven (powder coat or HiTec) or $0 for tumble lube.

You should be able to start for $100.
For $200, you can have really nice start (used lube/sizer, Lee bottom pour pot, etc)

Definitely get a lube/sizer if you will be casting a lot (you can find techniques online that people use to lube in bulk). I lube my bullets by melting the lube and dipping them. I then run them through a sizer that removed the excess lube. I can tell you, it is a pain in the a**. Once in a while I will drop a bullet in there and it gets covered in lube. Grabbing a bullet by the tip with latex gloves is a little slippery.

I only do that because I reload around 60-100 at a time for the Sharps. When you swipe the bore in between shots, you can spend a long time at the range just shooting 50 rounds.

I'm planning on stepping up production and I will get a lube sizer.

I am interested.
Like guns being always loaded treat lead as always heavy and hot.
Cost are as low as you are frugal.
My respirator and welding gloves where the only full retail items i bought. Everything else was yard sales and 2nd stores.
For the smelting portion.
Only thing I buy for casting is molds and sizers which i have been pretty good at finding used or on sale.
I also run mostly lee molds. i have a few exceptions.

i have a lee 20lb pot that I got for $5 guy said it was broken and could not be bothered to warranty it. Wire broke inside at switch.
Lead well you can buy it ready to cast easy enough and if you can find a few folks willing to go in on a few tons the prices are not terrible.

Definitely get a lube/sizer if you will be casting a lot (you can find techniques online that people use to lube in bulk). I lube my bullets by melting the lube and dipping them. I then run them through a sizer that removed the excess lube. I can tell you, it is a pain in the a**. Once in a while I will drop a bullet in there and it gets covered in lube. Grabbing a bullet by the tip with latex gloves is a little slippery.

I only do that because I reload around 60-100 at a time for the Sharps. When you swipe the bore in between shots, you can spend a long time at the range just shooting 50 rounds.

I'm planning on stepping up production and I will get a lube sizer.
I been waiting on a deal on a lube/sizer for now I just pan lube. i may pick up one of the silicone pans and try that.

BUMP!
Sign up before it's too late please. If you're interested please send in payment asap so I can confirm your attendance.

As always any questions or concerns please ask here. This is a great and EXTREMELY SAFE hobby. If you've heard otherwise let us debunk the myths.

Look at minute 1:20.

What is he adding to the bullets and why is he baking them?

Look at minute 1:20.

What is he adding to the bullets and why is he baking them?

He’s tumbling the bullets in powder coatingthen baking the coating on.
It’s a decent method of coating and guys seem to like it. I don’t like the fact that it doesn’t cure and heat can melt it again. There’s a lot of heat in a barrel. It’s just weird. Not to mention powder coat can be made with a ton of different types of paint, who knows what’s what health wise.
the Hi-Tek coating was designed to coat bullets and when baked it’s cured solid. You can use a torch to melt the lead out of the coating, leaving a shell behind.
To each his own and I encourage you to try both. We will be using Hi-Tek at the seminar.

He’s tumbling the bullets in powder coatingthen baking the coating on.
It’s a decent method of coating and guys seem to like it. I don’t like the fact that it doesn’t cure and heat can melt it again. There’s a lot of heat in a barrel. It’s just weird. Not to mention powder coat can be made with a ton of different types of paint, who knows what’s what health wise.
the Hi-Tek coating was designed to coat bullets and when baked it’s cured solid. You can use a torch to melt the lead out of the coating, leaving a shell behind.
To each his own and I encourage you to try both. We will be using Hi-Tek at the seminar.
Interesting. I never coated bullets.

Ok here comes a dumb question..... can you rifle bullets like a .308?

I load 9mm, 38sp and 357 so this is still off interest. Thx Pete
Sure can. Couple guidelines. Plain used cast are good to say 1500 FPS with accuracy. Maybe a little more or less depending on alloy, twist and pressure. You need a gas check bullet for higher speeds to 1800 to 200 again depending on the above factors. Over that It's best to get into something like paper patching. Basically wrapping the bullet in a paper "jacket" At that point guys have shot lead at 3000FPS with hunting accuracy.
I shoot mostly the reduced loads to get some good trigger time without the recoil, blast and wasted powder. A chunk of steel at 200 is just as fun to hit with a 1300 FPS bullet as it is with a 3000FPS bullet.
It still rings, it just costs a whole lot less and you can shoot them all night without hurting your shoulder or wallet.
Or paper patch and hurt your shoulder and not your wallet. Some nights I'm in that mood.

Interesting. I never coated bullets.
It's all the rage now. Most of the commercial casters are using Hi-Tek and Federal offers a coated bullet now. CCI has their coated 22s for the holidays Red/Green
I will have Hi-Tek at the seminar and will be doing a talk on coating and the benefits.

Very interested in going. I have never casted. However, I have watched a few videos of it, find it very interesting and would love to learn more. Will lack of experience limit me or prevent me from taking class?

Very interested in going. I have never casted. However, I have watched a few videos of it, find it very interesting and would love to learn more. Will lack of experience limit me or prevent me from taking class?
Not at all. This class is from basic to advanced.
We try to keep it very flexible

these events NEED beginners ! Depending on your location if you sign up I can give you some lead and you can pic up my lead donation to the class!

Bump as a reminder. This is coming up quick.
If you're interested and not on the list please sign up and send payment so I can make preparations for all attendees.

I’m in...payment sent sir.

I’m also bringing a bucket of wheel weights and some pewter and lead flashing to throw in the pot and a few door prizes as well. I can only take so much with me to Indiana when I make the final move the week after the seminar.

I’m in...payment sent sir.

I’m also bringing a bucket of wheel weights and some pewter and lead flashing to throw in the pot and a few door prizes as well. I can only take so much with me to Indiana when I make the final move the week after the seminar.
Awesome man. Thank you!
just leave All your cool guns with me too please.

Awesome man. Thank you!
just leave All your cool guns with me too please.

Sadly, but at the same time happily (for them), most of them are already in The Heartland. First thing I bought when I moved the fiancee out there was a big Liberty safe! The next trip out, i brought everything I wasn't going to use for CMP matches this year...stuffed them all in the very front of the uHaul for the risky drive through communist territory.

Also, certainly not trying to tell you how to run your thread, but maybe update the attendee list when you get a second so it doesn't look like there are more instructors than students, lol. I know I was surprised how many people showed up last year, but remember being intimidated in the thread by how few I thought were actually going to be there.

Last edited:
these events NEED beginners ! Depending on your location if you sign up I can give you some lead and you can pic up my lead donation to the class!

if you can bring your lead donation tomorrow to OCSA I can bring it with me to the seminar (though not exactly a beginner, I need a refresher before I really get into it this winter)

Sadly, but at the same time happily (for them), most of them are already in The Heartland. First thing I bought when I moved the fiancee out there was a big Liberty safe! The next trip out, i brought everything I wasn't going to use for CMP matches this year...stuffed them all in the very front of the uHaul for the risky drive through communist territory.

Also, certainly not trying to tell you how to run your thread, but maybe update the attendee list when you get a second so it doesn't look like there are more instructors than students, lol. I know I was surprised how many people showed up last year, but remember being intimidated in the thread by how few I thought were actually going to be there.

totally agree with you. I needed a kick in the butt to get that done. Been on vacation all week but not unfortunately getting the pre work jitters. So I guess I need to get some stuff done before I get back.

Back
Top Bottom