2019 NES Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

Shot them Wednesday night. I didn’t bother with a target because the range was covered in show. I just plinked at spots in the berm. I’m sure they will be accurate enough for my needs. The best part is the fed amazing through the 1873. Exactly what I purchased it for.
That is awesome. I need to buy an 1873.

Ah...the pressure. Hahaha.
Last time I looked prices seem to have dropped. I was seeing some places listing them just under $1000. I have a hankering for one in 45 colt.
I hear that loading the WCF cartridges can be a PITA due to thin brass but I think one of the 30 inch barrel models with a nice tang sight would be awesome.

Last time I looked prices seem to have dropped. I was seeing some places listing them just under $1000. I have a hankering for one in 45 colt.
I hear that loading the WCF cartridges can be a PITA due to thin brass but I think one of the 30 inch barrel models with a nice tang sight would be awesome.
When I go for one, I'm going for a Taylor 1873, those are closer to $1.5 - 2K.

I have a Colt Lightning in 38-40 and a pair of Colt SAA in 44-40 and a Rossi in 44-40. If your careful reloading it’s no problem.

I have a Colt Lightning in 38-40 and a pair of Colt SAA in 44-40 and a Rossi in 44-40. If your careful reloading it’s no problem.
Yeah I hear ya. I probably wouldn't mind it. I hate losing brass though. If i crunch a 38 special I have a funeral service for it and can't sleep for a week. I can't imagine crushing a 44/40.

Awesome.
Any luck with any lead today?

How was the pricing on pewter? Last time my wife was there she scored a small covered urn/dish that probably weights 8oz for $3
Seems like they price everything the same. All together I paid almost $20, some heavy items were $3.99 and some lighter also $3.99. With one pound going for $18-19 before shipping, I think I did OK.

As far as lead, I called the scrap yard and they said they dont usually do sales below a truckload, but they said I could show up and speak with them and they might let me buy. I didnt have enough cash on me to do that, so I might try another weekend. I guess if I do that, I might as well go and buy several hundred pounds to make it worth their time.

Seems like they price everything the same. All together I paid almost $20, some heavy items were $3.99 and some lighter also $3.99. With one pound going for $18-19 before shipping, I think I did OK.

As far as lead, I called the scrap yard and they said they dont usually do sales below a truckload, but they said I could show up and speak with them and they might let me buy. I didnt have enough cash on me to do that, so I might try another weekend. I guess if I do that, I might as well go and buy several hundred pounds to make it worth their time.
Good to know. I'll stick to the heavy stuff.

That's weird. I always walk up to the building with the lead and ask them to buy some Lino. They usually walk me to the back and have me dig through on my own.
Maybe the office workers answering the phones are not in the know.

That's weird. I always walk up to the building with the lead and ask them to buy some Lino. They usually walk me to the back and have me dig through on my own.
I think I will just show up one of these days with a few boxes and try my luck.

There are 1 or 2 other scrap yards on the way, so I might stop at all of them until one let's me go grab lead.

There are 1 or 2 other scrap yards on the way, so I might stop at all of them until one let's me go grab lead.
Good plan. I called all of the local ones a month or so ago and most don't even sell to the public. Super annoying.
Let me know when you're coming down. There's a local tire shop that will usually give yo a free bucket of weights. When I show up I always bring them a 12 pack of bud light though. Worth it.

If you come up empty I’m sitting on about 500 lbs of wheel weights. I could help you out.

depends on the price, alloy and how its presented. So far buying from scrap yards has been a no go in my area. For not much more I can buy known alloy shipped right to me.
Where are you located , I can hook you up with some wheel weight lead in muffin form.

This , If you can bypass the desk it tends to work out. I scraped some zinc and steel clips from smelted wheel weights and noticed a good pile of rolls of roof flashing. i asked as i pointed "how much to buy lead" no hesitation $2.75/#
I then asked if they would give me $1.25 for my roof flashing.....he giggled and said , "you know it dont work like that"

i have lead on the brain.
Does or has Anyone done business with NUCLead in W.Bridgewater ?
Club bought lead shot from them several years ago. i also vaguely remember a club member trying to get a large amount of bullets made up ...... IIRC he said he pissed himself laughing with the quote?
Have not heard any thing of them since.

i have lead on the brain.
Does or has Anyone done business with NUCLead in W.Bridgewater ?
Club bought lead shot from them several years ago. i also vaguely remember a club member trying to get a large amount of bullets made up ...... IIRC he said he pissed himself laughing with the quote?
Have not heard any thing of them since.
I asked for a price from them once. Their alloy was more expensive than buying cast bullets. They were outrageous.

This , If you can bypass the desk it tends to work out. I scraped some zinc and steel clips from smelted wheel weights and noticed a good pile of rolls of roof flashing. i asked as i pointed "how much to buy lead" no hesitation $2.75/#
I then asked if they would give me $1.25 for my roof flashing.....he giggled and said , "you know it dont work like that"
I called a place in Alabama, I got a quote for this:

5000# Tri Bar (2%Sb/6%Sb/92%Pb) $1.77 delivered

And

5000# Pigs With Ears (pure lead) – $1.47 delivered

delivered to MA.

I thought of posting in the group buy section, but we would need at least 20 people to go in on 500lbs each. Unless someone wants to buy more than 500#.

If enough people here are interested, I can handle the group buy and have it delivered to Westford, MA, or any other location people prefer (except Michael's house, he will melt it all [laugh] ...JK).

The quote should be good until mid January, that's when I told the guy I might be ordering.

500# yields around 17,500 bullets at 200 grains each.

And

delivered to MA.

I thought of posting in the group buy section, but we would need at least 20 people to go in on 500lbs each. Unless someone wants to buy more than 500#.

If enough people here are interested, I can handle the group buy and have it delivered to Westford, MA, or any other location people prefer (except Michael's house, he will melt it all [laugh] ...JK).

The quote should be good until mid January, that's when I told the guy I might be ordering.

decent price thats .05 a bullet for known alloy. , I have enough lead already....actually give away a good amount so it does not just sit and go unused.

one good thing about buying a known alloy is you can sell it much easier if needed.

Last edited:

And

delivered to MA.

I can’t help it. It’s a sickness.

How was the pricing on pewter? Last time my wife was there she scored a small covered urn/dish that probably weights 8oz for $3
I found a piece of pewter today, 11.5 oz for 2.99. Also grabbed muffin tins and long slotted spoon and ladle. Ordered .452 sizing die from amazon (had a gift card).On the search for an old propane tank that I can cut for a pot (see them on the roadside all the time until you need one). Asked a buddy that owns a Gulf station for some wheel weights. Slowly but surely20191209_132456-1.jpg

I found a piece of pewter today, 11.5 oz for 2.99. Also grabbed muffin tins and long slotted spoon and ladle. Ordered .452 sizing die from amazon (had a gift card).On the search for an old propane tank that I can cut for a pot (see them on the roadside all the time until you need one). Asked a buddy that owns a Gulf station for some wheel weights. Slowly but surelyView attachment 317242
Ahhh the sickness has taken hold. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom