• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2020 CMP M1 Garand Clinic OCSA , SEASON is OVER

Whoops...

Yesterday I did a deep bore cleaning for my match M1 and the Bula M14. Other than a quick swab it's been a while. I think ~47 patches to get the M1 clean. This morning I went to take care of a little range maintenance and practice. 125's shot great in the M1- seem to be accurate and noticeably less recoil. I thought I had ~50 rounds of 308 for the Bula but only 5 were 308. The rest were 7.5 Swiss loaded in PPU brass. This is what happens when you are f-ing old and don't wear your reading glasses.

What makes it worse is that I'm in the middle of a reload room make-over and won't have time to load 308. I hope I have ammo loaded or some Sig Match for the fugly Franken-ARbomination.

edit- Damn, all out of Sig match 77 but I did have some 77 home brew with Nosler CC's and Benchmark. Maybe get a quick sight in this evening.

Last edited:
Whoops...

Yesterday I did a deep bore cleaning for my match M1 and the Bula M14. Other than a quick swab it's been a while. I think ~47 patches to get the M1 clean. This morning I went to take care of a little range maintenance and practice. 125's shot great in the M1- seem to be accurate and noticeably less recoil. I thought I had ~50 rounds of 308 for the Bula but only 5 were 308. The rest were 7.5 Swiss loaded in PPU brass. This is what happens when you are f-ing old and don't wear your reading glasses.

What makes it worse is that I'm in the middle of a reload room make-over and won't have time to load 308. I hope I have ammo loaded or some Sig Match for the fugly Franken-ARbomination.

edit- Damn, all out of Sig match 77 but I did have some 77 home brew with Nosler CC's and Benchmark. Maybe get a quick sight in this evening.
Shut up, grab some shit 55 grain factory and pound the X ring. :p Yes vision denial has screwed me a few times.

been watch SPS for their 130s to go sub 20 cents each. Not only do they shoot well in the M1 they are great for the K31.... Damit I,might have to figure out a way to bring the daughters AR and some crusty M193!

Yeah, all those antifa kids have already grabbed up the 55 grain- either them or the curmudgeons afraid of them. [laugh] Besides, that crap doesn't run so well in a 1/7 twist. Franco will ban me for life if I beat up the new stands.

No worries, made a quick return to the range and sighted in on my 'ghost ring' SR-1 target. Once sighted shot a couple X's less than an inch apart and called it a day. I hate that F-ing AR but it's accurate.

Glad you were able to stop by and give us all some hell. Did you cough wu flu on our ammo? [laugh]

Good Gawd that AR in the middle pic is fugly! 🤪

Glad you were able to stop by and give us all some hell. Did you cough wu flu on our ammo? [laugh]

Good Gawd that AR in the middle pic is fugly! 🤪
yeah it hide behind the others in shame when I took the shot.
poor thing

no caughing , molested all the triggers with my booga hook.

Franco won Garand, maybe 278? Hip bronze if I recall correctly 272, Can't remember silver. I shot 271. The 125's were pretty good in the M1. I won Modern Military, 277-7; Franco silver 273.

An explanation for others why I rag on that stupid AR so much.

Rev 1: I first built it in A1 configuration (to the extent allowed by Heil Healy) per CMP rules. 20" barrel, traditional carry handle and gas block iron sights, hand guard held by delta rings, even used milsurp Vietnam era triangular hand guards.

Rev 2: CMP changed the rules to allow scopes, and to be competitive one needed a scope. I had to do a few tricks to stay under weight and use a simpler, lighter Leupold scope.

Rev 3: CMP changed the rules AGAIN, allowing free float tubes / handguards but dropping the weight to 7.5 lbs. Oh, they dropped the scopes too. With most common parts, folks either had to use a skinny early type M16 barrel or buy or chop a standard weight barrel to 16". I had a standard weight Criterion 20" match barrel and didn't plan on giving that up. I bought a light weight Seekins free-float hand guard- look closely and see how much material was machined out. I employed a few other tricks as well to get below 7.5 lbs.

Generally speaking, CMP rules are supposed to keep the rifles as close to as-issued as possible and NOT turn the matches into an equipment and $$$ game. The idea is to level the field. Rule change for Rev 2 at least helped those with less than stellar eyesight and didn't change much else. The latest rule change is a complete cluster-F, as you can see by the abomination I built to be as accurate as possible yet within the rules. Despite shooting a clean 100 pts in slow prone and a 97 in rapids, I still hate that fugly thing.

I think I am ready
gear checked out, guns,mags,slings all set. Now I have not fired a rifle since the 2019 Nov match

Vintage- K31 with Nosler 155s over 40.5 gr H4895

M1 - HXP 1969 cases weighed out to with in +/- 1.0 grains. Thats as tight I could find enough cases for. Nosler 168 CCs over 46 grains H4895 just good old regular loads.

I hand planned on trying some sierra 135 match in the K31 or the M1 but I had no time to check them out.

See you Sunday!

Planning to make it if my knee / leg holds up. K31 and it's proper food- GP11. Haven't finished re-doing the reload bench yet so may punt and shoot HXP right out of the box.

Snuck out for a QUICK test of the K31. I had a tough time with that rear sight but managed a in the black group with just elbows on the bench (my quick test method) I had the rear sight set to 200 meters and did a 6 oc hold as I just could not see well enough to do a center hold and ladned the 5 shots around the 10 ring....windage is good E nuff, that was my big concern as I swapped out sights. I set the sights to 300m and took 3 more with a 6oc hold and they printed a tad high
T8nZrnil.jpg

So for the heck of it I went to 200 yards with a 300 meter rear sight setting and a 6 oc hold with 6 rounds in the mag. Printed a tad high so I hope maybe my eyes after some good rest this week and some eyesight super foods I can go back to center hold come sunday (unless I can get new Rx by Friday). If not I will just have to fudge a little more white and do some wishful thinking. I cant hold a repeatable line of white looking at a fuzzy front sight? O well Keep them in the black and I will be happy. Im sure off hand will suffer anyway
cAbEd0Nl.jpg

Was thinking of punting and just bring HXP but last minute decided to load the last of my 125's. Bit of a barrel burner load over 3100 fps but shot decently last month and may as well use them up.

Feeding GP11 to the K31.

Ready to roll.

Getting to bed,
Running reloads for both. Not that it matters.
Eyes are already bugging out.
155s in the K31 and 168s in the M1. H4895 dropped from measure. i will be happy if i can hold the black.

Well that was a bit hot.....
Some good scores posted, a few newer faces and a several flavors of bolt guns today
We had Mosin,enfields,1917s,Swedes, Swiss and I probably forgot something.
Garand match was a tight one with trinkets being decided by X count.... 1X
I picked up a Bronze Trinket with the K31 and it happens for alot of us awful hand destroyed a chance for a very good score.
Still did much better seeing i only shot 12 rounds since Nov 2019
Nice turn out hope the weather turns a bit cooler from this point out.

NEXT MATCH 8/16 M1 Garand and Springfield 1903/A3's

I will have my new Rx by the next match [rockon][rockon]

Eyes were bad for me today & was fighting an overly strong pulse despite wearing a thick Pendleton shirt under my shooting jacket. Dumped the Pendleton for match 2 because of the heat and ended up shooting better anyway. Pulse maybe from heat and/or perhaps the big coffee I drank wasn't decaf like it was supposed to be. Scored decently- just a couple points away from bronze in Garand and one point shy of gold for a silver in Vintage. I think Mac was only 1 or two points away from beating me in Vintage and I'm pretty sure he had more X's.

Was good to see @76Too . He had some trouble with his M1 but hammered the 10-ring with a club gun.

Rsjc36V.jpg

Speaking of melting, the Spaghetti King's shooting glove grip material melted onto his M1!

Didn't shoot well today, but glad to be there and see everyone. I need offhand technique to be better than it is. I could see a little better today, but going to try different glasses going forward...
Melted glove? Maybe needs to shoot slower not fast...[laugh]

Didn't shoot well today, but glad to be there and see everyone. I need offhand technique to be better than it is. I could see a little better today, but going to try different glasses going forward...
Melted glove? Maybe needs to shoot slower not fast...[laugh]
Although fit will be awful try finding a pair of 1.0 cheaters and see how that works out. Most "glasses" frames are not well suited to shooting in positions. Even my Randolph Rangers I could use a higher bridge for Prone and I put the left nose pad on the right side of my nose to avoid looking through the frame and lense.
I have a set of Decot frames and a +1.0 for my aiming eye on the way. Only works for shooting.
If you did not notice i had to enlarge my log sheet to see it better with out my normal 1.75s
If you have any other vision correction issues go see Dr. Ginsberg out of Natick Eye Associates.
Hes a shooter and understands what we need to see.
Awful hand, well lets say its the position most likely to turn your score to shit.
When i did practice I practiced more off hand than anything. You can use any rifle even 22s.
One thing you need to really focus on is sight picture. Start calling your shots and write them down. Developing a routine that gets the rifle up , your eyes on the sights and a shot off in less time will be a better shot more often.
Setting up during prep time to get your Natural Point of Aim set is where to start your foundation.
You want that front sight naturally alligned best as possible to the black blob.
A small 3/8-1/2" dot on a wall 12' feet or so away is good for dryfire exercise and helps get those muscles a little stronger. Dont fight that wobble learn to minimize it and find that cycle eventually the sight picture will come and you snap of a round.

Last edited:
Just to add a tip.
look at your past scores if you see Prone rapid scores are close or even better than your Slowfire its because your most likely your trying to focus to long on your sights during the slow prone stage and start thinking. That 6" between your ears can be your worst piece of equipment.
Simple set up for me.
establish natural point of aim and then try not to move out of position. Only thing that should move is your trigger arm. Get behind rifle , check NPA, take a deep breath exhale , then start your trigger squeeze , focus on the sights and when you see the sight picture you want , squeeze that last bit of trigger....call your shots, write it down and slowly your calls will match your score.
If your focused on the front sight and pay attention to it when the shot cracks off you should at least tell if your shot went high , low Left or right.
So start your calls with that.
You will know when your position is solid and NPA are good when after the shot your sights settle right back onto the bull.
This video is pretty simple. Small things can make big changes down range.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HUbk472rAo&app=desktop

Last edited:
Snuck out for a QUICK test of the K31. I had a tough time with that rear sight but managed a in the black group with just elbows on the bench (my quick test method) I had the rear sight set to 200 meters and did a 6 oc hold as I just could not see well enough to do a center hold and ladned the 5 shots around the 10 ring....windage is good E nuff, that was my big concern as I swapped out sights. I set the sights to 300m and took 3 more with a 6oc hold and they printed a tad high
T8nZrnil.jpg

So for the heck of it I went to 200 yards with a 300 meter rear sight setting and a 6 oc hold with 6 rounds in the mag. Printed a tad high so I hope maybe my eyes after some good rest this week and some eyesight super foods I can go back to center hold come sunday (unless I can get new Rx by Friday). If not I will just have to fudge a little more white and do some wishful thinking. I cant hold a repeatable line of white looking at a fuzzy front sight? O well Keep them in the black and I will be happy. Im sure off hand will suffer anyway
cAbEd0Nl.jpg
just a up date , the K31 shot well . Problem was i was between settings 200/300 meters on the rear sight. 200 put me in the high 9 low 10 area , 300 was like the picture above. Now since my eyes where not good Sunday I had to go with the 200 meter setting and fade into the bull or hold over more . 300 m would require a hold under which for me is harder to see and hold a line of white between the sight and bull. i also will struggle with horizontal hold trying to hold below the bull.
So sometimes you just have to take what you have and run with it. I let that K31 down in off hand
the K31 is a sweet rifle and my only issue is no rear aperture sight.

Back
Top Bottom